EVcrash: Tesla& Bear collide on Hwy I-5 Sutherlin-OR

EVcrash: Tesla& Bear collide on Hwy I-5 Sutherlin-OR

http://katu.com/news/local/tesla-electric-car-collides-with-bear-on-i-5-in-oregon
Bear dead after colliding with Tesla electric car on I-5 in Oregon
20180424

[images  / Marilyn Olds Campbell
http://static-35.sinclairstoryline.com/resources/media/197e53f0-0702-4bb9-bc29-b4a434ac7e0a-large16x9_31066104_10204485135645719_887369116_o.jpg?1524608354491
The car hit the bear in the slow lane of southbound I-5 near the Cabin Creek
rest area near Sutherlin at 5:46 a.m., Oregon State Police said

http://static-26.sinclairstoryline.com/resources/media/8133a4d1-0e46-4bd3-8f88-bb306c1d919a-medium16x9_31042746_10204485135685720_688372274_o.jpg?1524608635537
The driver was shaken up but not injured, authorities said. The bear died
]

SUTHERLIN, Ore. - A driver escaped injury Tuesday morning when his Tesla
electric car collided with a black bear on Interstate 5.

The car hit the bear in the slow lane of southbound I-5 near the Cabin Creek
rest area near Sutherlin at 5:46 a.m., Oregon State Police said.

The driver was shaken up but not injured, authorities said.

The bear died.

A crew from the Oregon Department of Transportation removed the bear from
the interstate shoulder.

Oregon State Police notified the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife,
which requested a tooth from the bear.

"Any hunter who takes a bear or cougar, or landowner that does due to
damage, needs to turn in a tooth which we use to age the bear. This goes
into our population model that tracks estimates size of population,"
Michelle Dennehy with the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife said. "We
also take teeth from roadkilled bear and cougar if possible."

Crashes involving wildlife are not unheard of in Oregon. Cars and trucks
have hit deer, elk, bears and even a wolf, hit and killed on Interstate 84
near Idaho back in the year 2000.

Most vehicle-wildlife collisions happen in the fall, but animals are on the
move now as temperatures warm up.

Oregon state officials are working to develop new rules by January 1, 2019,
to allow drivers to harvest roadkill animals.
[© katu.com]
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cabin+Creek+Rest+Area+97462
(map, Cabin Creek Rest Area - Southbound I-5)