EVent: National Plug In Day is Coming, Sun Sep 29 2013

EVent: National Plug In Day is Coming, Sun Sep 29 2013

brucedp2

% Find a National Plug In Day EVent near you %

http://www.motherearthnews.com/green-transportation/national-plug-in-day-zb0z1309ztri.aspx#axzz2e3EEh6dE
National Plug In Day is Coming
By Kellsey Trimble  9/4/2013

[image
http://www.motherearthnews.com/~/media/Images/MEN/Editorial/Blogs/Green%20Transportation/National%20Plug%20In%20Day%20Is%20Coming/National%20Plug%20In%20Day%20jpg.JPG
]

The third annual National Plug In Day will be held on Sunday, September 29, 2013, and everyone is invited. In more than 50 cities across the country, events are being held in celebration of the rising number of electric vehicles (EVs). From parades to ceremonies, Plug In America, Sierra Club and the Electric Auto Association are showing the country why it’s better to drive an EV.

EVs offer better gas mileage and run cleaner with less pollution than gas-powered vehicles. Owners praise EVs for how easy they are to “fuel up.” At the end of each day, EV owners just plug in their vehicles and rarely need to stop for gas. Many days they don’t need to charge at all. Maintenance for EVs is much cheaper as they do not have the same parts as a regular car: no engine, transmission, gas tank, etc.

EVs are also providing employment opportunities in the United States. Many of the parts for these electric dreams are being made within the U.S., which boosts the number of quality jobs in the country.

On top of all this, owners claim that EVs are fun cars to drive. They accelerate quickly and — contrary to the belief that only big gas guzzlers can handle inclement weather — EVs even do well in snow. With all of these advantages, it’s no wonder that the number of EVs on the road is rising.

To find out more about National Plug In Day, register and volunteer in a city near you. You’ll even have the chance to test drive one of these electric dreams.
[© motherearthnews.com]
http://www.pluginday.org/events.php
Find a National Plug In Day EVent near you

For all EVLN posts use:
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=413529&query=evln&sort=date

{brucedp.150m.com}

Re: EVent: National Plug In Day is Coming, Sun Sep 29 2013

Cruisin
Plug in America at De Anza College is 9/28/13 Lets see how many DIY's register their car.

Re: EVent: National Plug In Day is Coming, Sun Sep 29 2013

brucedp5
This post was updated on .
[ref
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVent-National-Plug-In-Day-is-Coming-Sun-Sep-29-2013-tp4665063.html
]

Last year at that eaasv.org EVent, there were enough conversions driven
and parked in the parking area so they could attend the EVent. But I
remember only seeing a few conversions in the display area (those would
have had to pay the registration fee. The EVent is free for the public to park and attend). There was mostly Production plugins plugins using the free (non-J1772)
charging off the power panel I had upgraded last year.

Last year was the first year at that new location. There were many
production plugins (EVs and pih/phev) in the display area. The
amount/ratio of conversions in the display may be more.

Since this year, the L2 J1772 GE Wattstations are functioning, and their
power panel last year will be available, I hope to see plenty of plugins
charging this year.

I put together an unofficial web page on the Silicon Valley EAA
Chapter's Rally / NPD EVent
@De Anza College in Cupertino, CA that has more/other detail the
Chapter's page may not
http://brucedp13.20m.com/eaasvr2013/

{brucedp.150m.com}

-
-

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Access your email from home and the web

Re: EVent: National Plug In Day is Coming, Sun Sep 29 2013

corbin dunn
For others on the list, De Anza College is in Cupertino, CA.

There's also one in Santa Cruz, CA at the Staff of Life. I'll be in Santa Cruz, even though I work quite close to De Anza.

corbin

On Sep 8, 2013, at 3:57 PM, Cruisin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Plug in America at De Anza College is 9/28/13 Lets see how many DIY's
> register their car.

Re: EVent: National Plug In Day is Coming, Sun Sep 29 2013

Cor van de Water
Just be aware that the "Staff of Life" has it on the calendar for Sunday
Sept 29th, while the event at De Anza College in Cupertino is scheduled
for the Saturday Sept 28.
Last year the event in Cupertino was on a Sunday, so I could only attend
and show my conversion the second half of the day, still allowing me to
take home one of the raffle prizes. This year I plan on coming early,
charging and giving some rides, showing my conversion the rest of the
time.

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Email: [hidden email] Private: http://www.cvandewater.info
Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626

Re: EVent: National Plug In Day is Coming, Sun Sep 29 2013

corbin dunn
Hey Cor, thanks for pointing that out!! I didn't realize that the De Anza event was on Saturday as I just read the title of the message....hmm..maybe I can go to both after all.

corbin

On Sep 10, 2013, at 1:08 PM, Cor van de Water <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just be aware that the "Staff of Life" has it on the calendar for Sunday
> Sept 29th, while the event at De Anza College in Cupertino is scheduled
> for the Saturday Sept 28.
> Last year the event in Cupertino was on a Sunday, so I could only attend
> and show my conversion the second half of the day, still allowing me to
> take home one of the raffle prizes. This year I plan on coming early,
> charging and giving some rides, showing my conversion the rest of the
> time.
>
> Cor van de Water
> Chief Scientist
> Email: [hidden email] Private: http://www.cvandewater.info
> Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626

Hi Corbin,
Would be interesting to see your bug, I have only read about it
on your website, I don't think that I ever saw it in person.
I will also bring a bunch of modular power supplies that I plan
on using for a high power (J1772) charger as my existing charger is
quite limited. These are 48V 30A output modules that can be trimmed
for different output voltage and have Power Factor corrected 208/240
input
so should be just the ticket for a higher power J1772 charger.
Best of all - they are cheap and compact (2.5 x 5 x 15") isolated and
aircooled.
I am guessing you already have a J1772 charger inlet for charging at
work?
These same modules might also be used to create a Leaf DCQC
(Direct Current Quick Charger, in other words a charger that attaches
directly to the battery through the charging plug and can dump a large
amount of energy in the pack in short time. Leaf enthusiasts attempt to
target 12kW charging (maxing out an RV outlet) while Tesla S can do
100kW.
But conversions can do the same, or install these modules on the car and
trim them to their pack voltage.

On Sep 10, 2013, at 6:26 PM, Cor van de Water <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Corbin,
> Would be interesting to see your bug, I have only read about it
> on your website, I don't think that I ever saw it in person.
> I will also bring a bunch of modular power supplies that I plan
> on using for a high power (J1772) charger as my existing charger is
> quite limited. These are 48V 30A output modules that can be trimmed
> for different output voltage and have Power Factor corrected 208/240
> input
> so should be just the ticket for a higher power J1772 charger.
> Best of all - they are cheap and compact (2.5 x 5 x 15") isolated and
> aircooled.
> I am guessing you already have a J1772 charger inlet for charging at
> work?

Yup, I have one for at work and home, and use a J1772 adapter now; it is a much better plug than something like an L6-30, which I have had melt. My work is literally a mile or two from De Anza..so I could always go over there and charge if I need to.

My bug is actually temporarily out of commission right now; I had a high voltage frame leak, and traced it to my DC-DC; I'm waiting for it to get fixed (hopefully soon!).

corbin

> These same modules might also be used to create a Leaf DCQC
> (Direct Current Quick Charger, in other words a charger that attaches
> directly to the battery through the charging plug and can dump a large
> amount of energy in the pack in short time. Leaf enthusiasts attempt to
> target 12kW charging (maxing out an RV outlet) while Tesla S can do
> 100kW.
> But conversions can do the same, or install these modules on the car and
> trim them to their pack voltage.
>
> Regards,
>
> Cor van de Water
> Chief Scientist
> Email: [hidden email] Private: http://www.cvandewater.info
> Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626

fred ungewitter
Orlando, FL is participating in the above noted EVent as well. It's within the range of our Rav4EV, but only because there's a plethora of chargers around the Orlando area and at least two within a couple of miles of the EVent. Since our 2003 Rav4EV (and the nearly-road-ready 2002 model) are legacy models, I carry the SPI charger in the back and use a J1772-NEMA adapter to recharge the vehicle. It's a bit clunky, but it works and I get to show people that today's technology existed last century too, as the Rav4EV started production before the turn of the century.

Is anyone on the list also going to be in the Orlando area? My primary reason to attend is to see a Tesla which is purported to attend.

fred
daytona beach, fl