Electric car Instructables

bennelson
Hi everyone!

I put some information on my Geo Metro conversion on Instructables.

This is a very basic, low-budget, conversion.

I wanted to make the Instructable to encourage people to think about
Electric Vehicle conversions.

The information I put on there is pretty basic. Also, it just covers
how I did MY conversion, not all the different ways you COULD do a
conversion.

You can see it here:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Build_your_own_Electric_Car/

Positive comments and CONSTRUCTIVE criticizim welcome.

Thanks,
-Ben Nelson

Re: Electric car Instructables

okaauto
Good job !

Nice videos !!!

But you need lot more VACUUM !!!

Re: Electric car Instructables

storm connors
Really good job- especially the comments about redoing things. It is
simple, but not easy.

I hadn't heard about the motor mounted ebrake on fork lifts. Sounds
like an easy way to replace or add to the emergency brake on the EV.

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 7:35 PM, Benjamin Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I put some information on my Geo Metro conversion on Instructables.
>
> This is a very basic, low-budget, conversion.
>
> I wanted to make the Instructable to encourage people to think about
> Electric Vehicle conversions.
>
> The information I put on there is pretty basic. Also, it just covers
> how I did MY conversion, not all the different ways you COULD do a
> conversion.
>
> You can see it here:
> http://www.instructables.com/id/Build_your_own_Electric_Car/
>
> Positive comments and CONSTRUCTIVE criticizim welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> -Ben Nelson

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1059
http://stormselectric.blogspot.com/
Storm

Re: Electric car Instructables

Harris, Lawrence
I could not see the reference to the motor mounted ebreaks but on
forklifts the ebrake they talk about on is usually plug braking.  This
involves shorting the motor and any attempt to move will be resisted.
However if you engage the plug brake as an emergency brake the resulting
regen will probably do one or more of (a) break something mechanical (b)
lock up the wheels (c) blow up the controller and/or motor.  It's
generally not used in an EV conversion but with care you could probably
use it as a parking brake just ensure you can't engage it while you are
moving.  You can see this effect with a small toy motor, first spin it
by hand with nothing connected then short the connections and try again.

Lawrence

Darin -@- ForkenSwift.com
Harris, Lawrence wrote:
> I could not see the reference to the motor mounted ebreaks but on
> forklifts the ebrake they talk about on is usually plug braking.

The forklift we pillaged for project ForkenSwift had a mechanical
seat/safety brake as well.  There was a drum attached to the tail shaft,
and a mechanical linkage to the operator's seat which, when occupied,
pushed a lever and released a pair of brake shoes from the drum.

There's a pic of it here, FYI:
http://images6.theimagehosting.com/baker-traction-motor.jpg

cheers-
Darin

http://forkenswift.com
http://www.evalbum.com/1146

Re: Electric car Instructables

David Nelson-5
My Gizmo has a disk mounted outside the drive gear on the motor shaft
and mechanically activated brake pads for the ebrake. I doubt it is
large enough for a car but a brake on the motor isn't a bad idea in
this case.

--
David D. Nelson
http://evalbum.com/1328

Re: Electric car Instructables

Alan Brinkman
Ben,

I like your instructables site on your Geo Metro build.  It gave me some
ideas.  Also, I liked that you followed up with links to further
information and more detail on the build.  The car looks good.  You were
able to keep costs very low.  People inspired by your build could aim
for a similar budget, or could choose to spend more in certain areas to
make the build go easier according to their skills and resources.  I
could see where a wide audience is hit here, low budget like me, middle
of the road, and high end folks who may say, hey, that's how that works,
I like that, I'll hire company X to build me a Geo, S-10, etc...

Good luck,

Alan