Electric conversion using TM4 traction motor, inverter and VMU

Electric conversion using TM4 traction motor, inverter and VMU

Dear All,

I have been following the many interesting discussions on this list for sometime as I have long planned a EV conversion project. The project has now materialized and I thought it is a good time to reach out to the community to seek some advice. First of all let me give you little bit of back ground:

This project was conceived to promote greener initiatives in the tourism and travel industry in Sri Lanka.  We have identified a high impact (environmental and sustainability) market, Safari touring vehicles in national parks of Sri Lanka to adopt sustainable and greener alternatives. We have embarked on building the first prototype, the host vehicle is a TATA pick-up truck with curb weight of 1950 kg and full load weight of 2900 kg. It is a very basic diesel vehicle, it is rear wheel driven.

The EV drive train we have identified is from TM4 of CANADA https://www.tm4.com/ <https://www.tm4.com/> we will use the TM4 motor, inverter and vehicle management unit. The motor is TM4 HSM60 (Peak power 90 kW, Continuous 50 kW, Peak torque 270 Nm, con 100 Nm), and C150 HV inverter (Max 150 kW, Max output current 575Arms, max blocked rotor current 650 Adc, performance voltage 320 - 450 V, max electrical frequency 1.25 kHZ). We have conducted simulations using the above system and continue to fine tune these simulations under different driving schedules.

For the prototype our bench mark is a range of 100 km (with full load including battery)
Charging time of 4 hours (charging system to be determined, we are designing a full solar with storage system and a solar with net metered grid tied system.)

The VMU that TM4 sells is priced attractively, however, the basic VMY has to be programmed by factory as needed. The latest VMU can be customer configured but the software is quite expensive ~USD 7200 + USD 12,000 for libraries (not needed but recommended.)

I am writing you to ask for advice with the following:
Can you suggest a supervisory control systems (VMU)  that are easy to to program that we can use with this system?
Can you suggest a 30 - 40 kWh battery system that is attractively priced that I can source for this application, battery system is not decided on yet)
Can you suggest an on  board charger that is also attractively priced but proven (commercially), which can be sourced from US or elsewhere.
Any suggestions, helpful tips will be very much appreciated. Anyone interested in involved in a high impact project please contact me privately.

Thank you
Kind Regards

Pasad

________________________________
Dr. Pasad Kulatunga
Sustainable Alternatives (Pvt) Ltd
+94 77 539 6963
+46 76-394 67 10
www.sustainable-alt.com <http://www.sustainable-alt.com/>
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
@sustainablealt
https://lk.linkedin.com/in/sustainablealternatives

Re: Electric conversion using TM4 traction motor, inverter and VMU

> I am writing you to ask for advice with the following:
> Can you suggest a supervisory control systems (VMU)  that are easy to to program that we can use with this system?

GEVCU -> http://store.evtv.me/proddetail.php?prod=gevcu6
I'm not promising it the cheapest thing ever but the software is open
source and free so your cost is fixed at the initial purchase price.
From there you can make any modifications you want.
Full disclosure - I'm the software developer for GEVCU.

> Can you suggest a 30 - 40 kWh battery system that is attractively priced that I can source for this application, battery system is not decided on yet)

Grab modules out of wrecked Tesla Model S cars. They're about 5.5kwh a
module and 24V. You can easily get to 40kw somewhat economically this
way. But, 40kw is going to be only be around 170V which might be too
low for you. The other alternative is to get modules from a Nissan
Leaf or other production EV battery pack. They're less amp hours but
smaller and cheaper so you could get up to 30kw and be at your target
voltage. However, whichever way you go you should try to retain the
factory BMS. Both the Model S modules and Leaf modules have had work
done to make the module BMS viable outside the donor car. YMMV with
anything else.

> Can you suggest an on  board charger that is also attractively priced but proven (commercially), which can be sourced from US or elsewhere.

Once again, the cheapest option would be to get one from a crashed EV.
Tesla Model S cars have 10kw chargers (sometimes 2!), a Leaf has a 3.3
or 6.6kw charger. A variety of these have been reverse engineered and
can be used in custom projects. However, I don't think the Model S
chargers are one such item. I think we've still got to work on reverse
engineering those.

On Mon Feb 20 01:48:38 PST 2017 [hidden email] said:
>This project was conceived to promote greener initiatives in the tourism and travel industry in Sri Lanka.  We have identified a high impact (environmental and sustainability) market, Safari touring vehicles in national parks of Sri Lanka to adopt sustainable and greener alternatives. We have embarked on building the first prototype, the host vehicle is a TATA pick-up truck with curb weight of 1950 kg and full load weight of 2900 kg. It is a very basic diesel vehicle, it is rear wheel driven.

I have a Ford F250 conversion.   Seems to be somewhat similar to the one you've chosen.
http://www.evalbum.com/2898

I'm using salvaged Nissan Leaf modules, and a (less expensive) DC drive system.  (Dual 9" Impulse motors, Z2K controller, PFC-50 charger)

Range with 120 Nissan Leaf modules configured as a 330V pack. (40 sets of 3 in parallel) is about 70 mi at 60mph.
I've set the controller to limit me to about 180KW - so I can maintain speed up hills, and accellerate nicely.

--

Worlds only All Electric F-250 truck! http://john.casadelgato.com/Electric-Vehicles/1995-Ford-F-250

Re: Electric conversion using TM4 traction motor, inverter and VMU

Cruisin
We use 16 NEW 48vdc 55ah Volt batteries to power the TORQ replacing the garbage Voltronix Lipo4 batteries and have excellent range and power. Much easier connecting 16 batteries than 64. BMS plug
on each battery makes for easy BMS connections. Total weight has been reduced increasing performance.
Hope this helps you in your project.

Re: Electric conversion using TM4 traction motor, inverter and VMU

Thank you John for the link.
Cheers
Pasad

________________________________
Dr. Pasad Kulatunga
Sustainable Alternatives (Pvt) Ltd
+94 77 539 6963
+46 76-394 67 10
www.sustainable-alt.com
[hidden email]
@sustainablealt
https://lk.linkedin.com/in/sustainablealternatives

> On Feb 20, 2017, at 6:40 PM, John Lussmyer via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Mon Feb 20 01:48:38 PST 2017 [hidden email] said:
>> This project was conceived to promote greener initiatives in the tourism and travel industry in Sri Lanka.  We have identified a high impact (environmental and sustainability) market, Safari touring vehicles in national parks of Sri Lanka to adopt sustainable and greener alternatives. We have embarked on building the first prototype, the host vehicle is a TATA pick-up truck with curb weight of 1950 kg and full load weight of 2900 kg. It is a very basic diesel vehicle, it is rear wheel driven.
>
> I have a Ford F250 conversion.   Seems to be somewhat similar to the one you've chosen.
> http://www.evalbum.com/2898
>
> I'm using salvaged Nissan Leaf modules, and a (less expensive) DC drive system.  (Dual 9" Impulse motors, Z2K controller, PFC-50 charger)
>
> Range with 120 Nissan Leaf modules configured as a 330V pack. (40 sets of 3 in parallel) is about 70 mi at 60mph.
> I've set the controller to limit me to about 180KW - so I can maintain speed up hills, and accellerate nicely.
>

> --
>
> Worlds only All Electric F-250 truck! http://john.casadelgato.com/Electric-Vehicles/1995-Ford-F-250

Re: Electric conversion using TM4 traction motor, inverter and VMU

pasadk

Can you give me some details on the Leaf pack that you put together?
Thanks
Pasad

On Wed Feb 22 04:47:45 PST 2017 [hidden email] said:
>Can you give me some details on the Leaf pack that you put together?

It's not clear if you are asking me, but I'll answer anyway! :-)
I bought 120 used Leaf Modules.
My truck pack is configured as groups of 3 modules in parallel, with 40 groups in series.
I use my own BMS to monitor hi/low voltage, and do up to 200ma of bypass regulation.
Since I do not connect the center taps on the modules together, only the BMS connects to those, and it lets me monitor all modules individually.
I have a 800V 600A 3 phase circuit breaker in the system, that if it ever triggers, will separate the pack into 4 sections.
I had to build custom battery boxes, as the modules are in 3 different places in the truck.  All under the bed.

--

Worlds only All Electric F-250 truck! http://john.casadelgato.com/Electric-Vehicles/1995-Ford-F-250

Re: Electric conversion using TM4 traction motor, inverter and VMU

A standard Leaf pack is 48 Modules.