Electric mobility scooter project ...

brucedp5

Getting around on a couple of U1 batteries

My health is deteriorating to the point where I need a mobility scooter just to make it into my local VA Hospital for check-ups (and throw more pills at my symptoms). I won't go into those details as they are OT (and if you want to yak about that, please do that offline, you know all my address).

So, here is the deal, I needed a mobility scooter that could handle my size and weight (I am not a small person, and while I have lost a good chunk of weight, I am still carrying around too much). Though I do not weigh that much at this point, I targeted a mobility scooter that has a 350lb carrying capacity (that tends to make it a bit more robust in design).

I have a choose between a 3 wheel and a 4 wheel models. The 3 wheel weighs slightly less. Here is one vendor selling them
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-Phoenix-3-Wheel-Scooter-Electric-Battery-Vehicle-Drive-PhoenixHD3-/370790913021?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5654dc53fd

The 4 wheel model seems to offer a little more driving stability (?) over the 3 wheel model. Here is one vendor selling them
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drive-Heavy-Duty-4-Wheel-Mobility-Scooter-Phoenix-HD-PhoenixHD4-Cart-Vehicle-/251255467832?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7ffe2f38

Both have no-flat rubber tires (years ago, when I busted a leg and was driving a used e-cart to get around, flats were a big problem for me). Also, both have 2 PbSO4 12V U1 agm batteries that should give me a range of about 15 miles at 5mph. Either scooter comes with a slow charger that takes overnight to complete its cycle (ouch).

I do not plan to run/drive this out on the street, unless I had to. I planned to have a trailer hitch mounted on my ice (98' Escort ZX2 sedan), which I would hang a personal mobility carrier off of.

But after talking to a local trailer and hitch expert, he said though the carrier and scooter weight combined were less than 200lb, the leverage of hanging off the back would likely damage the frame.

I mentioned that I also saw that were personal mobility scooter trailers. He said that would not be a problem but they were a bit of a hassle (to navigate). I told him I would go back and do some more research on some personal mobility trailers and contact him later to install the hitch (his work load was full that that time anyway, but I do need to continue to move forward on this project).

I found many wonderful personal mobility scooter trailer designs, but sadly, those were made in the UK, thus would be incompatible with CA laws/regs, and wiring/connectors.

I had to narrow it down to a few heavy, clunking looking U.S. made designs that I was sure the CA DMV would allow me to license.

Here are a couple trailer links to gander at
http://www.discountramps.com/power-wheelchair-trailer/p/MAG-UWT/

http://www.allelectricscooters.com/Trailer.htm

I would also like to explore how hard it would be to yank the U1 batteries and charge them not in the scooter, but separately. Some time the weather rains, and though I may have the scooter covered, it might be asking too much to have it plugged in during that time.

Lastly, after the decisions have been made, I wanted to explore what li-ion U1 battery options I could have. PbSO4 U1 batteries are not going to last. It might be wiser to spend a little more for a li-ion U1 battery that has more capacity. I realise it would mean a different charger. Here is one vendor
http://store.starkpower.com/12V12Ah-U1-StarkPower-ULTRA-Lithium-Ion-Starter-Battery-FREE-CHARGER-_p_62.html

vs a PbSO4 agm U1 battery
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/u1-scooter-battery

I have not finalized yet on anything, I am still gathering data (but I need to accomplish this).

Well, that is my project. Those that want to comment on the EV part of this, I look forward to your posts on my project (you can send your OT posts directly to me, so we save evdl bandwidth, thanks).

{brucedp.150m.com}

Re: Electric mobility scooter project ...

Brett Davis
It seems like it would be easier to reinforce the frame on the ice, and/or
modify the hitch to distribute the additional moment, than to ALWAYS have
the trailer with you, especially for parking.

Brett (has multiple hitch racks and trailers)
On Apr 27, 2014 6:20 AM, "brucedp5" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> U1 battery options I could have. PbSO4 U1 batteries are not going to last.
> It might be wiser to spend a little more for a li-ion U1 battery that has
> more capacity. I realise it would mean a different charger. Here is one
> vendor
>
> http://store.starkpower.com/12V12Ah-U1-StarkPower-ULTRA-Lithium-Ion-Starter-Battery-FREE-CHARGER-_p_62.html
>
> vs a PbSO4 agm U1 battery
> http://www.ebay.com/bhp/u1-scooter-battery
>

> I have not finalized yet on anything, I am still gathering data (but I need
> to accomplish this).
>

> Well, that is my project. Those that want to comment on the EV part of
> this,
> I look forward to your posts on my project (you can send your OT posts
> directly to me, so we save evdl bandwidth, thanks).
>

> {brucedp.150m.com}

Re: Electric mobility scooter project ...

Al Lumas
Bruce,
My wife has a 4 wheel scooter at our home in Milpitas and a 3 wheel
at our Discovery Bay condo.
Both are Pride GoGo Traveler models. The 4 wheel has the extended
range battery pack. The 3 wheel has the regular range battery pack.

Her 4 wheel looks like the one on eBay you listed but cost us less
than $1000 when we bought it directly from Spin Life
<http://www.spinlife.com/> who is actually Pride Mfg.  I bought her 3
wheel for $500 in an estate sale and soon after had to replace its
two batteries which I bought from Leslie Logan at Rose Electronics in
San Jose.

My wife definitely prefers the 4 wheel especially on uneven pavement.

As for charging indoors, the Pride's battery packs can be quickly
removed (remove seat, pull battery pack off base) and charged indoors.

As for transporting the scooters which each weigh ~100lbs, they
easily come apart into 4 or 5 pieces that fit into the truck of our E
Class Mercedes.

Al Lumas

At 05:19 AM 4/27/2014, brucedp5 wrote:

> [...]
>U1 battery options I could have. PbSO4 U1 batteries are not going to last.
>It might be wiser to spend a little more for a li-ion U1 battery that has
>more capacity. I realise it would mean a different charger. Here is one
>vendor
>http://store.starkpower.com/12V12Ah-U1-StarkPower-ULTRA-Lithium-Ion-Starter-Battery-FREE-CHARGER-_p_62.html
>
>vs a PbSO4 agm U1 battery
>http://www.ebay.com/bhp/u1-scooter-battery
>

>I have not finalized yet on anything, I am still gathering data (but I need
>to accomplish this).
>

>Well, that is my project. Those that want to comment on the EV part of this,
>I look forward to your posts on my project (you can send your OT posts
>directly to me, so we save evdl bandwidth, thanks).
>

>{brucedp.150m.com}

Re: Electric mobility scooter project ...

Peri Hartman
Do you specifically need a scooter or could you consider a segway?  Lighter
weight, so maybe hauling would be easier.

> [...]

> It might be wiser to spend a little more for a li-ion U1 battery that has
> more capacity. I realise it would mean a different charger. Here is one
> vendor

http://store.starkpower.com/12V12Ah-U1-StarkPower-ULTRA-Lithium-Ion-Starter-
Battery-FREE-CHARGER-_p_62.html

> vs a PbSO4 agm U1 battery
> http://www.ebay.com/bhp/u1-scooter-battery
>

> I have not finalized yet on anything, I am still gathering data (but I
need

> to accomplish this).
>

> Well, that is my project. Those that want to comment on the EV part of
> this,
> I look forward to your posts on my project (you can send your OT posts
> directly to me, so we save evdl bandwidth, thanks).
>

> {brucedp.150m.com}

Re: Electric mobility scooter project ...

EV professor
Brett, I have personal experience with mobility scooters my own and my
wife's.   First the weight of the rider is carried over 80% on the back
wheels so it doesn't matter if you have 3 or 4 wheels.  Second if your car
can manage a class III receiver hitch it can carry 300 lbs. not including
yourself.  I would trust the "U-Haul hitch people they have a fine
selection of bolt on hitches, I have several from them here and they are
reasonable and no nonsense (They want to rent trailers... Don't tell them
what you want to use it for, it only confuses them. Just tell them you need
hitch for a 300 lb trailer tongue weight.)   That is the Manufacturers
rated hitch weight of a trailer for a class III hitch, 300 lbs on the car
hitch, and a trailer weight of 3,000 lbs. You might call you auto dealer
and ask what modifications are needed to use a class III hitch on your car.
You might need helper springs on the rear axle. I have overloaded the hitch
by 100% and had no problem (Results may vary)  Believe me I am an expert at
towing trailers and backing them up, most drivers cannot do it! Avoid a
trailer or if your car won't handle the weight, use a one wheel trailer
where the trailer wheel is a swivel castor and the trailer attaches to the
car with two hitches. they are easy to back up. but you might have to load
the mobility scooter with ramps. There are alternatives.
 The batteries: most scooters have removable batteries , mine do, one plug
and a velcro strap per battery. But, seriously, I never take mine out to
charge, my charger is built-in  with a 120 V. cord about six feet long. I
have a 50 ft, contractors heavy duty cord and I plug in first the scooter
then the extension at the house outside patio outlet (With "GFCI" for
safety.) In rain I lay the junction of the scooter cord with the extension
up on a brick so it doesn't lay in a puddle of water... If you want to go
lithium order your new scooter with lithium because a charging circuit made
for lead-acid will destroy lithiums. you can not just change battery
chemistry you must use a different charging program... Good Luck, if you
need clarification my e- mail and phone number is listed on
"www(dot)EVprofessor(dot)com"

Re: Electric mobility scooter project ...

John Lindsay
For interest and amusement you might to like to check out the mobility scooter races held in South Australia.

There are classes for modified including highly modified.  You can find them via the fickr link.

http://www.aevasa.kestar.com.au/events.htm

It has been a great way to introduce people to electric vehicles because let's face it, scooters are slow things that old people drive.

When you've had a drive of a modified racing scooter (or Gopher as we tend to call them in Australia) your view changes.

They really give people the EV grin :-)

Cheers,

John Lindsay
[hidden email]
+61403577711

On 27 Apr 2014 at 22:37, Peri Hartman wrote:

> Do you specifically need a scooter or could you consider a segway?  Lighter
> weight, so maybe hauling would be easier.

At 35lb with lithium battery, this is the lightest mobility scooter bar
none:

http://www.travelscoot.com/

As far as I can tell, it's also the most easily transported.

The battery is removeable, though the entire scooter probably weighs less
than some scooter batteries alone.

The lead battery version weighs 47lb.

Stock rider weight limit is 320lb, but heavier people use them successfully,
and special-order versions are available for official higher load limits.

It has no reverse gear, though, so you need to have a little mobility.  It's
for folks with limited mobility, not fully wheelchair bound.

Re: Electric mobility scooter project ...

Willie2
On 04/28/2014 04:22 AM, EVDL Administrator wrote:

> On 27 Apr 2014 at 22:37, Peri Hartman wrote:
>
>> Do you specifically need a scooter or could you consider a segway?  Lighter
>> weight, so maybe hauling would be easier.
>>
> At 35lb with lithium battery, this is the lightest mobility scooter bar
> none:
>
> http://www.travelscoot.com/
>
> As far as I can tell, it's also the most easily transported.
>
> The battery is removeable, though the entire scooter probably weighs less
> than some scooter batteries alone.
>
> The lead battery version weighs 47lb.
>
> Stock rider weight limit is 320lb, but heavier people use them successfully,
> and special-order versions are available for official higher load limits.
>
> It has no reverse gear, though, so you need to have a little mobility.  It's
> for folks with limited mobility, not fully wheelchair bound.

When my wife was declining, about two years ago, we bought one of
those.  It was little used and I'm looking for a home for it. Lithium
battery.

Re: Electric mobility scooter project ...

EV professor
doesn't require standing up or has yours have sit down to ride capability?
and insurance won't buy used so how much do you want for yours?

*Dennis Lee Miles *

*Director   **E.V.T.I. Inc.*

*E-Mail:*  *[hidden email]* <[hidden email]>

   *Phone #* *(863) 944-9913*

Dade City, Florida 33523

 USA

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 5:32 AM, Willie2 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/28/2014 04:22 AM, EVDL Administrator wrote:
>
>> On 27 Apr 2014 at 22:37, Peri Hartman wrote:
>>
>>  Do you specifically need a scooter or could you consider a segway?
>>>  Lighter
>>> weight, so maybe hauling would be easier.
>>>
>>>  At 35lb with lithium battery, this is the lightest mobility scooter bar
>> none:
>>
>> http://www.travelscoot.com/
>>
>> As far as I can tell, it's also the most easily transported.
>>
>> The battery is removeable, though the entire scooter probably weighs less
>> than some scooter batteries alone.
>>
>> The lead battery version weighs 47lb.
>>
>> Stock rider weight limit is 320lb, but heavier people use them
>> successfully,
>> and special-order versions are available for official higher load limits.
>>
>> It has no reverse gear, though, so you need to have a little mobility.
>>  It's
>> for folks with limited mobility, not fully wheelchair bound.
>>
>>  When my wife was declining, about two years ago, we bought one of those.
>  It was little used and I'm looking for a home for it. Lithium battery.

> group/NEDRA)

Re: Electric mobility scooter project ...

EVDL Administrator
On 28 Apr 2014 at 14:02, Dennis Miles wrote:

> doesn't require standing up or has yours have sit down to ride capability? and
> insurance won't buy used so how much do you want for yours?

Did you look at the website?  This is not a stand up scooter like a Segway.
It's a 3-wheel sitdown mobility scooter that folds.  You remove the seat and
battery, push a couple of buttons, and fold the frame.  When folded, it's
small enough to fit in an airliner's overhead compartment.

I don't know anything about the insurance issues. You'd have to take that up
with your insurance agent, I suppose; good luck with that.

Re: Electric mobility scooter project ...

EV professor
David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA, EVDL Administrator My post which you posted
was in response to Peri Hartman

<[hidden email]> 1:37 AM (15 hours ago)

"Do you specifically need a scooter or could you consider a segway?
 Lighter weight, so maybe hauling would be easier"
When my wife was declining, about two years ago, we bought one of those.
 It was little used and I'm looking for a home for it. Lithium battery.

That was the reason for my questions. You were obviously confused between
Prei's and your post being the object of my questions concerning the
details...

Hope your week goes better !