Electric motor with no tranny for conversion

Electric motor with no tranny for conversion – My wife and I are trying to figure out the necessity for having a tranny to do an ICE to electric conversion on a 65 mustang. Is the tranny requi...
It is technically possible to connect the motor directly to the drive shaft, but it is MUCH more expensive and generally less efficient. Witho...
>> My wife and I are trying to figure out the necessity for having a >> tranny to do an ICE to electric conversion on a 65 Mustang....
> >> My wife and I are trying to figure out the necessity for having a > >> tranny to do an ICE to electric conversion on a 6...
Lee Hart wrote: >> Essentially all vehicles built as EVs from scratch have no >> transmissions (electric cars, trains, buses, golf c...
Lee Hart wrote: > Today, we drove Michael Shoop's Volt Vette (1987 Corvette EV > conversion) for the first time. It has a Zilla 2K contr...
Roger Stockton wrote: > Cost is NOT an advantage to the transmissionless approach. I agree; it is not something you do as an expedient solu...
Lee Hart wrote: > But, going transmissionless is a good solution in a scratch > built EV (like our Sunrise), Absolutely! I still thi...
Roger Stockton wrote: > I still think you would find that a tranny is cheaper for the Sunrise > than paying for a larger motor and control...
Lee Hart wrote: > We considered it; but the Sunrise is designed to be an EV; > there isn't any place for a transmission. Sorry, but I...
Roger Stockton wrote: >> We considered it; but the Sunrise is designed to be an EV; there >> isn't any place for a transmission. ...
Lee Hart wrote: > > being designed as an EV does not automatically equate to > > having to be designed without space for a tranny....
Roger Stockton wrote: >> One could start with a blank sheet of paper and design an EV >> that did have space for a transmission. But...
Lee Hart wrote: > The Tropica was not very well designed. It had two A89 motors, which are > too small for an EV even with a transmissio...
Roger Stockton wrote: > I was somewhat tongue-in-cheek observing that just because some > EVs are built without trannies doesn't automatic...
On 24 May 2008 at 12:26, Lee Hart wrote: > But essentially *all* EVs designed from scratch have no transmission. > The exceptions are th...
Tesla had a 2 speed, didn't it? On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 3:20 PM, EVDL Administrator <evpost@...> wrote: > On 24 May 2008 at 12:26, Le...
Does anyone know which transmission Tesla decided to use? I thought they would have used a Lenco, liberty or others readily available for high r...
On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 7:18 PM, storm connors <stormconnors@...> wrote: > Tesla had a 2 speed, didn't it? Yes, against the wishes of...
Suggestion, go to CafeElectric and read Otmar's comments on why you need multiple speeds. While he is focusing mostly on series DC motors, it a...
I am new but I follow the EV world very closely. I have been in automotive for 36 years and have good understanding on how to design vehi...
David Roden wrote: > On 24 May 2008 at 12:26, Lee Hart wrote: > > > But essentially *all* EVs designed from scratch have no trans...
both of these were factory conversions. they were not designed as ev first they were gas powered. just something to think about --- Roger Sto...
On 25 May 2008 at 11:51, keith vansickle wrote: > both of these were factory conversions. they were not > designed as ev first they wer...
Lee Hart wrote: > Hmm... you need to look at the situation under a 'Vette. The frame > doesn't come anywhere near the transmission. The ...
It seems so obvious to me, but I appreciate that we all have our own visions of how to perform our conversions. I'm sure there are things I...
Mark Grasser wrote: > Sorry but it is apparently not so obvious. :-) Your > approach uses the tunnel and a substantial part of > the...
> > With transmission: > $2000 premium for manual transmission Corvette > $400 adapter plate and coupler > $1975 Zill...
>> With transmission: >> $2000 premium for manual transmission Corvette >> $400 adapter plate and coupler >> ...
On 23 May 2008 at 11:33, Roger Stockton wrote: > There may not be any place for a conventional RWD tranny because the car was > designed...
David Roden wrote > Lee would obviously know more about this than I, but I think > the Sunrise was originally designed for the Solectria...
Roger Stockton wrote: > I believe Lee's intention is for the EV2 to allow each builder to > choose whatever drivetrain they wish to instal...
On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Roger Stockton <rstockton@...> wrote: > Lee Hart wrote: > >> We considered it; but the Sunri...
Morgan LaMoore wrote: > The original used NiMH batteries, and now they're trying to > get 60 miles range with lead batteries. Much more ...
Re: Electric motor with no transmission for conversion – Lee, Not to keep pushing the transmission idea but did you consider a transaxle, granted a little more expensive than your usual transmission bu...
Mark Grasser wrote: > Lee, > Not to keep pushing the transmission idea but did you consider a transaxle, > granted a little more expen...
Re: Electric motor hybred something. – Did you consider mounting any of the front wheel drive transmissions in the rear of the car? Mark Grasser Just about did this method b...
If you need a example of Mark's suggestion look at any Pontiac Fiero. The factory engine/tranny setup in those is from a different FWD vehicle ins...
Tim Medeck here, The Sunrise is in my shop, and Shoop's Vette just left the shop under it's own power a couple of days ago. > Lee Hart wro...
Tim Medeck wrote: > There is no room for a transmission in the Sunrise-EV2. With > the central battery tunnel, and the differential rota...
Tim Medeck wrote: Looks good, Tim! I don't have any disagreements with anything you said. You also made some good points on why Michael is co...
Does this apply to both automatic and manual transmissions? me On 5/21/08, Roger Stockton <rstockton@...> wrote: > Lee Hart wrote: ...
Mark Eidson wrote: > Does this apply to both automatic and manual transmissions? me The same principle applies, yes. Going transmission...
Lee, I expected better from you. It's not just about how MUCH torque you can generate, it's about how LONG you can generate it. Assuming a ...
Peter VanDerWal wrote: > It's not just about how MUCH torque you can generate, it's about how > LONG you can generate it. > > Ass...
>> The Zilla 1K is only rated for 300 amps continuous. So unless the >> hill is pretty short, it won't make it up. If it has to s...
Peter VanDerWal wrote: >> We can ask Otmar, but I'll bet the Z1k can carry 300 amps for a lot more >> than 1 minute. Even the lowly ...
I have no doubt that the Zilla 1k can handle 300 amps continously, as I pointed out the specs clearly state that it can handle 300 amps continuo...
Hello All, They finally flatten out one section of road here, in Great Falls, Montana for about 1000 feet. So I went to try it with my 7100 ...
Lee Hart wrote: ... > No; I think it is a mistake to go transmissionless without also changing > the differential ratio. My Renault LeCa...
I would see what Otmar who makes the Zilla controller has to say. http://www.cafeelectricpress.com/blog/?p=22 On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 4:03 AM,...
So far, nobody has mention what you need to go in reversed with no transmission. This requires a reversing contactor that is a double pole co...
Would it be possible and simpler to install a cheap/low voltage controller just for reverse. Turn it off and on with a switch. With the infre...
Hello Dennis, Using another controller would work, but you still would have to have a interlock switching circuit between the forward control...
I was just going to use a 1000watt 48vlt PM motor for the reverse and if I can figure it out maybe some regen braking On Fri, May 16, 2008 at ...
Hello Randy, You would have to test out that PM motor by it self without the main motor controller connected up yet. At a 1000 watts at 48...
I agree with Peter's comments on the subject. The only time I'd recommend considering direct drive is for racing applications, where the mot...
Do the reasons not to go direct drive change, if we're talking about an AC system? Dennis -----Original Message----- From: Ian Hooper [ma...
> Do the reasons not to go direct drive change, if we're talking about an > AC system? Yes, mostly. Though even an AC system could gain ...
Someone said something about open vs posi rear ends that I think was missleading. Open rear ends allow transfering the most power to the groun...
Yes, it seems there is a common misconception that open diffs only power one wheel. It is true that, with an open diff, if one wheel looses trac...
> Yes, it seems there is a common misconception that open diffs only power > one wheel. Really, There are people that think that the pow...
> Jeff Shanab wrote: >> I think if we were to plot drag racing EVs AC against DC against ICE >> we will see a pattern... AC acc...
>Tesla's mainstream is a two speed transmission. Low gear is for the >breathtaking acceleration and high gear is to get you to 150 mph. T...
Everybody is interested in seeing Tesla succeed. The question is, do they know enough about automotive test and validation to do it properly. ...
If Li-ion with cobalt is considered universally the wrong technology for transportation products, what is the correct choice? rhgienger@... --...
The world is following iron phosphate (A123) or manganese spinel (EnerDel). Some of the manganese batteries are showing energy storage much bett...
On Tue, 27 May 2008 12:20:02 -0400, "Richard Marks" <rwmarks@...> wrote: >Today's car manufacturers build quality to the ...
Neon, The number I saw that Tesla has raised was $145M as reported in LA Times! I have a company in Detroit that is ready to start produci...
David, I was gonna say a similar thing about weight transfer. we can also look at it from the G force side of things But we must graph it bec...
Jeff Shanab wrote: > I think if we were to plot drag racing EVs AC against DC against ICE > we will see a pattern... AC accelerates slow...
David, I was gonna say a similar thing about weight transfer. we can also look at it from the G force side of things But we must graph it bec...
This is a bit of a nitpick, but you need 1500 ft*lbs to spin the rear wheels (2 wheels with 750 lbs each of weight on them), so 965 ft*lbs won't q...
David Dymaxion wrote: > This is a bit of a nitpick, but you need 1500 ft*lbs to spin the rear > wheels (2 wheels with 750 lbs each of weig...
Lee Hart wrote: > Or, a little higher numerical ratio for the > differential (because my maximum 6000 RPM estimate for the > motor w...
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Dymaxion" <david_dymaxion@...> To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List"...
I would think it to be 750 ft*if if the differential is of the open type and 1,500 if it is a posi unit. Also depending on how the suspension is ...
Right you are about open vs. posi. It turns out weight transfer is fundamental from the geometry. Even a go kart with no suspension, or even a ...
CVT (constantly variable) trannys are the latest and greatest thing in the auto world. Wouldn't it make sense to use this type of tranny? -----...
While CVTs are improving, they are still much lower in efficiency than a standard transmission. ICE's tend to have a very narrow band where th...
>The Chrysler had a 2-speed gearbox about which I know nothing > more The Chrysler TEVan used a "Gear Vendors" 2 speed transa...
> Seems to depend where you look ;^> Haven't checked the Cafe Electric website in a while... I wonder if the lower numbers could be fo...
Adrian, I am stepping into the middle of this and have just registered to join the forum. Otmar told me all of his controllers need to be ...
Adrian DeLeon wrote: > Haven't checked the Cafe Electric website in a while... I > wonder if the lower numbers could be for light vehicl...
> The Zilla 1K is rated for 300A continuous based on a coolant temp of 50 > degrees C. Actually, it's rated for "greater than 350A ...
Adrian DeLeon wrote: > > The Zilla 1K is rated for 300A continuous based on a > > coolant temp of 50 degrees C. > > Actual...
Input your data into: http://www.geocities.com/hempev/EVCalculation.html and see what happens. In the gear ratio section. Input a 1 to 1...
Roland wrote: > My Warp 9 has a 199 amp continuous duty and has a service factor of about > 2.0 for about a minute, meaning 200 amps x 2 =...
Hello Stephen, The service factor of a motor, (SF) is the percentage of over voltage and/or over ampere that a motor is design for. If a m...
Hi Peter and All, ----- Original Message Follows ----- From: "Peter VanDerWal" <evdl@...> To: "Electric Ve...
After driving with a zilla 1k connected to the stock transmission, the feel I got was that 2 9"s with just the rear end reduction would be t...
You will save money and have more simple wiring because it gives you reverse and you only need the little 3 speed, and you still have to build s...
I've been considering doing this with my 1970 Mustang using a TransWarp9 and a Zilla 1klv with a 144V battery pack. I have a 4.11:1 differential...