Electric power steering options

Drewcifer
Any one have an opinion on the 99-00 Opel astra gaso 1600 electric power steering pump as an alternative to the Toyota mr2 pump?

Any other electric pumps that people are find of??

Drew

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Electric power steering options

brucedp5
http://www.canev.com/pwrSteering.php
Canadian Electric Vehicles Ltd. - Power Steering
www.canev.com/pwrSteering.php
CEV Power Steering Kits. CEV Power Steering Kit Includes: Power Steering
Pump; Mounting Bracket; [Reservoir]; Relay; Breaker. We have been
supplying this ...

Tel: (250) 954-2230. Fax: (250) 954-2235. Email: [hidden email]

{brucedp.150m.com}

-

-

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Choose from over 50 domains or use your own

Re: Electric power steering options

This is a very good unit.  It not only powers my power steering, but also my
power brakes.  Replace the vacuum booster with a hydro booster which many of
the new cars are using now.

The high pressure line from the power steering pump first go's to the high
pressure side of the hydro boost unit and exits out to the high pressure
inlet in the steering rack.  The line that exits from the steering rack is
the low pressure return to the power steering pump.

Also the hydro boost has also has a output low pressure line that tees to
the same return line from the steering rack to the power steering pump. I
mounted the reservoir up high next to the hydro boost that also tees into
the low pressure return line.

If a person uses a hydro boost braking system, you do not need a vacuum
source.  If you this type of braking system, make sure you use the same DOT
brake fluid that goes into the brake master cylinder if you use the same
brake lines.  My EV uses DOT3 brake oil for a 1977 vehicle.

I got my hydro boost from a friend of mind that owns a savage yard.  There
was only one vehicle which was a 84 jeep that had one in it.  I took it out
my self plus the all the hose with it and works very good in my EV and only
cost me $50.00. You can get a overhaul kit for these hydro boost if needed.
Bolted right up to the fire wall in the same area where the vacuum booster
was.

There web sites that shows how to do this conversion.  They use all new
parts which cost them over $1000.00 and they had to replace the power
steering pump and hydro boost unit with a higher pressure one.

The CANEV electric power steering pump works find.  It has a rating of 1000
psi, my 77 El Camino only needs 778 psi.

The general web sites are under  Hydro Brake Conversion   or go to:

www.stu-offroad.com/suspension/vanco/hydroboast-1.htm

> Canadian Electric Vehicles Ltd. - Power Steering
> www.canev.com/pwrSteering.php
> CEV Power Steering Kits. CEV Power Steering Kit Includes: Power Steering
> Pump; Mounting Bracket; [Reservoir]; Relay; Breaker. We have been
> supplying this ...
>
> Tel: (250) 954-2230. Fax: (250) 954-2235. Email: [hidden email]
>

> {brucedp.150m.com}
>

> -
> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013, at 02:46 PM, Ds2inc wrote:
> > Any one have an opinion on the 99-00 Opel astra gaso 1600 electric power
> > steering pump as an alternative to the Toyota mr2 pump?
> >
> > Any other electric pumps that people are find of??
> >
> > Drew
> -
>
> --
> http://www.fastmail.fm - Choose from over 50 domains or use your own

Re: Electric power steering options

Randy
We have 14 of these pump kits in stock.
http://www.canev.com/pwrSteering.php
We have used them in everything from small car conversions all the way
up to our 3 ton aircraft refuelers.
Have over 65 of the refuelers in service for the last 10 years.

Thanks
Randy

On 4/2/2013 2:46 PM, Ds2inc wrote:

> Any one have an opinion on the 99-00 Opel astra gaso 1600 electric power steering pump as an alternative to the Toyota mr2 pump?
>
> Any other electric pumps that people are find of??
>
> Drew
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Randy Holmquist

Canadian Electric Vehicles Ltd

250-954-2230

http://www.canev.com/

Re: Electric power steering options

R Willis
jeep grand cheroke 2013 its big and electric

At 4/2/2013 05:46 PM, you wrote:

>Any one have an opinion on the 99-00 Opel astra gaso 1600 electric
>power steering pump as an alternative to the Toyota mr2 pump?
>
>Any other electric pumps that people are find of??
>
>Drew
>
>Sent from my iPhone

> Canadian Electric Vehicles Ltd. - Power Steering
> www.canev.com/pwrSteering.php
> CEV Power Steering Kits. CEV Power Steering Kit Includes: Power Steering
> Pump; Mounting Bracket; [Reservoir]; Relay; Breaker. We have been
> supplying this ...
>
> Tel: (250) 954-2230. Fax: (250) 954-2235. Email: [hidden email]
>

> {brucedp.150m.com}
>

> -
> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013, at 02:46 PM, Ds2inc wrote:
>> Any one have an opinion on the 99-00 Opel astra gaso 1600 electric power
>> steering pump as an alternative to the Toyota mr2 pump?
>>
>> Any other electric pumps that people are find of??
>>
>> Drew
> -
>
> --
> http://www.fastmail.fm - Choose from over 50 domains or use your own

Re: Electric power steering options

It is the Canadian ev unit.  It been running since 2005 or 2006.  Use a 70
amp circuit breaker and a solid state 100 amp relay to turn on this unit.
The relay is control by a on dash rocker switch which is normally on all the
time.  The ignition control switch provide 12V power to the rocker switch
when the ignition switch is turn on.

The circuit between the ignition switch and the control relay is also fuse
with a standard 5 amp auto fuse.  This unit normally draws 10 to 15 amps and
may surge up to 50 amps when turning the wheels depending on the weight of
the vehicle.

> Are you referring to the Canadian ev unit or the opal Astra??
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Apr 2, 2013, at 9:35 PM, "Roland Wiench" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is a very good unit.  It not only powers my power steering, but also
> my
> power brakes.  Replace the vacuum booster with a hydro booster which many
> of
> the new cars are using now.
>
> The high pressure line from the power steering pump first go's to the high
> pressure side of the hydro boost unit and exits out to the high pressure
> inlet in the steering rack.  The line that exits from the steering rack is
> the low pressure return to the power steering pump.
>
> Also the hydro boost has also has a output low pressure line that tees to
> the same return line from the steering rack to the power steering pump. I
> mounted the reservoir up high next to the hydro boost that also tees into
> the low pressure return line.
>
> If a person uses a hydro boost braking system, you do not need a vacuum
> source.  If you this type of braking system, make sure you use the same
> DOT
> brake fluid that goes into the brake master cylinder if you use the same
> brake lines.  My EV uses DOT3 brake oil for a 1977 vehicle.
>
> I got my hydro boost from a friend of mind that owns a savage yard.  There
> was only one vehicle which was a 84 jeep that had one in it.  I took it
> out
> my self plus the all the hose with it and works very good in my EV and
> only
> cost me $50.00. You can get a overhaul kit for these hydro boost if
> needed.
> Bolted right up to the fire wall in the same area where the vacuum booster
> was.
>
> There web sites that shows how to do this conversion.  They use all new
> parts which cost them over $1000.00 and they had to replace the power
> steering pump and hydro boost unit with a higher pressure one.
>
> The CANEV electric power steering pump works find.  It has a rating of
> 1000
> psi, my 77 El Camino only needs 778 psi.
>
> The general web sites are under  Hydro Brake Conversion   or go to:
>
> www.stu-offroad.com/suspension/vanco/hydroboast-1.htm
>
> Roland

rustybkts
I have an electric Ford Fiesta power steering column in my car. It only seems to pull 1 or 2 amps when turning the steering wheel even at standstill despite having a large 40A fuse and heavy gauge wire running to it.

On an EV, any power savings are worth it and running an electric hydraulic pump is is simply wasted energy.

It did require a special CAN box installing to imitate the original car's electronics with a road speed input for variable power depending on speed.

I have seen EPAS kits which include the CAN enabled box on Ebay and other sites offering retrofit systems for track racing etc. where removing the hydraulic pump can be significant.
Russ Sciville
Vortex GT EV
Lotus Elise EV
Stiga Villa EV lawnmower

Re: Electric power steering options

Martin WINLOW
My understanding is that the 'magic box' that is needed (and can, indeed, be bought off ebay for around £30) has nothing to do with CAN buses and is simply a 50p 555 timer in a box set up to provide 12V square wave signals meant to represent speed and engine rpm. Their principle drawback is that the signal frequency is fixed - tho variable using a manually adjusted pot - but once you've set it the amount of assist is fixed. Less than ideal but workable.

Best write-up I have found yet on this is here... http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/blog/corsa-c-electric-power-steering-epas-a118.html

I should say this is all relates to Vauxhall Corsa B and C models so the Ford Fiesta may be CAN after all.

MW

On 4 Apr 2013, at 08:44, rustybkts <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have an electric Ford Fiesta power steering column in my car. It only seems
> to pull 1 or 2 amps when turning the steering wheel even at standstill
> despite having a large 40A fuse and heavy gauge wire running to it.
>
> On an EV, any power savings are worth it and running an electric hydraulic
> pump is is simply wasted energy.
>
> It did require a special CAN box installing to imitate the original car's
> electronics with a road speed input for variable power depending on speed.
>
> I have seen EPAS kits which include the CAN enabled box on Ebay and other
> sites offering retrofit systems for track racing etc. where removing the
> hydraulic pump can be significant.

Re: Electric power steering options

Evan Tuer
The 12V pump fitted to all the PSA EVs is extremely reliable and
doesn't pull a huge current.  It's also fitted to the small diesel
cars, Peugeot 106 and Citroen Saxo for at least a decade:
http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/151008369759?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla&crdt=0

If you have an existing hydraulic rack it's the easy option.  An
electric steering column will obviously be quieter, lighter and more
elegant solution but unlikely to be an easy retrofit.

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 10:46 PM, Ds2inc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Any one have an opinion on the 99-00 Opel astra gaso 1600 electric power steering pump as an alternative to the Toyota mr2 pump?
>
> Any other electric pumps that people are find of??
>
> Drew
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Electric power steering options

SLPinfo.org
Not sure if this would be an.option for the person who started this topic,
but I just decided to forego power steering altogether in my 97 S10.  I
switched to manual steering; it involved replacing my steering gearbox with
a manual one from an earlier model and getting rid of the PS pump. It means
working a little harder but I manage.

Peter Flipsen Jr
On Apr 4, 2013 5:02 AM, "Evan Tuer" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The 12V pump fitted to all the PSA EVs is extremely reliable and
> doesn't pull a huge current.  It's also fitted to the small diesel
> cars, Peugeot 106 and Citroen Saxo for at least a decade:
>
> http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/151008369759?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla&crdt=0
>
> If you have an existing hydraulic rack it's the easy option.  An
> electric steering column will obviously be quieter, lighter and more
> elegant solution but unlikely to be an easy retrofit.
>

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 10:46 PM, Ds2inc <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Any one have an opinion on the 99-00 Opel astra gaso 1600 electric power
> steering pump as an alternative to the Toyota mr2 pump?
> >
> > Any other electric pumps that people are find of??
> >
> > Drew
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone

Re: Electric power steering options

Barry Oppenheim
I ended up doing something similar to Peter.  My Saturn Vue came with
electric assist power steering.  Basically a manual rack with an electric
motor assist at low speeds.

My original plan was to re-enable the electric assist after the conversion.
But after driving it without the electric assist I decided there was no need
to re-enable it.  Other than parallel parking from a dead stop I don't miss
the power steering at all.

Barry Oppenheim

Not sure if this would be an.option for the person who started this topic,
but I just decided to forego power steering altogether in my 97 S10.  I
switched to manual steering; it involved replacing my steering gearbox with
a manual one from an earlier model and getting rid of the PS pump. It means
working a little harder but I manage.

Peter Flipsen Jr
On Apr 4, 2013 5:02 AM, "Evan Tuer" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The 12V pump fitted to all the PSA EVs is extremely reliable and
> doesn't pull a huge current.  It's also fitted to the small diesel
> cars, Peugeot 106 and Citroen Saxo for at least a decade:
>
> http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/151008369759?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceI
> temTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla&crdt=0
>
> If you have an existing hydraulic rack it's the easy option.  An
> electric steering column will obviously be quieter, lighter and more
> elegant solution but unlikely to be an easy retrofit.
>

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 10:46 PM, Ds2inc <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Any one have an opinion on the 99-00 Opel astra gaso 1600 electric
> > power
> steering pump as an alternative to the Toyota mr2 pump?
> >
> > Any other electric pumps that people are find of??
> >
> > Drew
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone

Re: Electric power steering options

Sean Korb
You could try the new fully electric modification for power steering.  It
is rapidly gaining popularity in the hot-rod crowd.  No hydraulics.

http://www.hotrodhotline.com/unisteer-performance-products-electra-steer-electric-power-steering

sean

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 10:20 AM, Barry Oppenheim <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> I ended up doing something similar to Peter.  My Saturn Vue came with
> electric assist power steering.  Basically a manual rack with an electric
> motor assist at low speeds.
>
> My original plan was to re-enable the electric assist after the conversion.
> But after driving it without the electric assist I decided there was no
> need
> to re-enable it.  Other than parallel parking from a dead stop I don't miss
> the power steering at all.
>
> Barry Oppenheim

Sean Korb [hidden email] http://www.spkorb.org
"Computers are useless.  They can only give you answers." -P. Picasso

Re: Electric power steering options

EVDL Administrator
Old-timers will recall the early to mid 1960s, when generally only land
yachts had power steering and power brakes.  Compacts (Falcon, Chevy II,
Valiant, Rambler American) and small cars (VW, Opel, Datsun, Toyota) didn't
need them and didn't have them.  They were optional on mid-size cars; the
stripped-down price leaders on the lot usually didn't have them.

Times change.  I doubt that any auto buyer would accept a car of any size or
type with manual steering today.

Pity, because eliminating that extra baggage saves weight and energy.  But
it's like the range issue.  Buyers are used to PS, PB, and 300+ miles per
"charge" (fillup).  Buyers preceive any vehicle that doesn't offer them as
not worthy of their consideration (and it will probably be an object of
ridicule in the press).

Re: Electric power steering options

Peter C.
Maybe that is the reason I have never owned any new cars and still drive my
non power steering Studebaker(s)!?

Peter Crisitello

> Old-timers will recall the early to mid 1960s, when generally only land
> yachts had power steering and power brakes.  Compacts (Falcon, Chevy II,
> Valiant, Rambler American) and small cars (VW, Opel, Datsun, Toyota)
> didn't
> need them and didn't have them.  They were optional on mid-size cars; the
> stripped-down price leaders on the lot usually didn't have them.
>
> Times change.  I doubt that any auto buyer would accept a car of any size
> or
> type with manual steering today.
>
> Pity, because eliminating that extra baggage saves weight and energy.  But
> it's like the range issue.  Buyers are used to PS, PB, and 300+ miles per
> "charge" (fillup).  Buyers preceive any vehicle that doesn't offer them as
> not worthy of their consideration (and it will probably be an object of
> ridicule in the press).
>
> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EVDL Administrator

Re: Electric power steering options

Drewcifer
How do you get access to European eBay I can't access it via my iPhone app? Is it only accessible via the eBay website??

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 4, 2013, at 4:02 AM, Evan Tuer <[hidden email]> wrote:

The 12V pump fitted to all the PSA EVs is extremely reliable and
doesn't pull a huge current.  It's also fitted to the small diesel
cars, Peugeot 106 and Citroen Saxo for at least a decade:
http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/151008369759?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla&crdt=0

If you have an existing hydraulic rack it's the easy option.  An
electric steering column will obviously be quieter, lighter and more
elegant solution but unlikely to be an easy retrofit.

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 10:46 PM, Ds2inc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Any one have an opinion on the 99-00 Opel astra gaso 1600 electric power steering pump as an alternative to the Toyota mr2 pump?
>
> Any other electric pumps that people are find of??
>
> Drew
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Electric power steering options

Drewcifer
Never mind! I think it was operator error!!

Drew

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 4, 2013, at 4:02 AM, Evan Tuer <[hidden email]> wrote:

The 12V pump fitted to all the PSA EVs is extremely reliable and
doesn't pull a huge current.  It's also fitted to the small diesel
cars, Peugeot 106 and Citroen Saxo for at least a decade:
http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/151008369759?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla&crdt=0

If you have an existing hydraulic rack it's the easy option.  An
electric steering column will obviously be quieter, lighter and more
elegant solution but unlikely to be an easy retrofit.

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 10:46 PM, Ds2inc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Any one have an opinion on the 99-00 Opel astra gaso 1600 electric power steering pump as an alternative to the Toyota mr2 pump?
>
> Any other electric pumps that people are find of??
>
> Drew
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Electric power steering options

gtyler54
I have a Toyota estima (previa in some places), it has a mid mounted engine
with a unit at the front that has the alternator, power steering and aircon.
This is driven by a drive shaft from the front of the engine. I had a
problem with the universals on the drive shaft and had it out. I used it
like that for a tank, and got a big saving on fuel, but the change to the
steering means it has to go through a special test that costs $500 here! The
test is for the tester to drive it and see if he thinks it's ok to drive
with no power steering, but then he has to test everything else as well,
like it is a home built car.....crazy, one tester could say it's ok, another
may fail it too.
The prius P/S could be a good option, the older ones are part of the rack,
but later ones are a separate unit I think;
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/Hybrid17.pdf

Old-timers will recall the early to mid 1960s, when generally only land
yachts had power steering and power brakes.  Compacts (Falcon, Chevy II,
Valiant, Rambler American) and small cars (VW, Opel, Datsun, Toyota) didn't
need them and didn't have them.  They were optional on mid-size cars; the
stripped-down price leaders on the lot usually didn't have them.

Times change.  I doubt that any auto buyer would accept a car of any size or
type with manual steering today.

Pity, because eliminating that extra baggage saves weight and energy.  But
it's like the range issue.  Buyers are used to PS, PB, and 300+ miles per
"charge" (fillup).  Buyers preceive any vehicle that doesn't offer them as
not worthy of their consideration (and it will probably be an object of
ridicule in the press).

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = EVDL Information:
http://www.evdl.org/help/ = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
= = = =
Note: mail sent to "evpost" and "etpost" addresses will not reach me.  To
http://www.evdl.org/help/ .

Re: Electric power steering options

rustybkts
The Ford Fiesta is a CAN based EPAS and although difficult to use outside of a Fiesta, I know a guy in the UK who has reverse engineered the comms required and even enables the speed sensed assist which reduces the assistance the quicker you go.
Russ Sciville
Vortex GT EV
Lotus Elise EV
Stiga Villa EV lawnmower