Electric "Trailer Mover" from Ridding Mower

Electric "Trailer Mover" from Ridding Mower

jtcweb
Hello All,

I'm new to this list (and EV in general) so pardon this very basic
question.  I've tried to search the archive but could not find what I'm
looking for.

What I really need is something to move small utility trailers around a
city lot.  My dad is getting older and doesn't like to move things
via wheelbarrow and using a trailer dolly and pushing is getting hard.  We
have a ridding mower with a blown engine and it looks easy (from
a mechanical point of view) to rip out the engine and the mower deck and
replace it with an electric motor.  The motor would just need to be mounted
vertical and have a v-belt pulley mounted on the bottom.

However I do not have any real experience with electric motors.  The bits I
need help on are what motor to buy, how to control the speed and a charger
if it is something other than 12V.  The run time at the bare minimum only
needs to be a few minutes per charge.  The use would be pulling a small
trailer of fire wood around to the back of the house with a slight up-hill
slope.

A secondary use (phase 2 if you will) would be pulling the same trailer
around a 5 acre lot and would need longer run times and the ability to
climb a hill.  However this 5 acre site has a farm tractor so this really
isn't much of a design concern.  However if I could, for example, get by
with one battery at the city lot and add two or 3 more batteries for the
country lot that would be nice.

Thanks,
Jerry
http://www.my10acres.info

Electric Sociability Run

rodhower
This was posted on the antique electric vehicle list,
"
We are commemorating the 99th anniversary of an Electric Sociability Run  held
in Washington, DC on May 27th. The original event had 54 electrics participating
and they drove 14 miles through Washington to a field near Joaquin Miller Cabin
in Rock Creek Park. The cabin and the low-water ford shown in photos  of that
event still remain today.

We are inviting electric car owners and enthusiasts to join us on May 27th,
2013, exactly 99 years to the day at that exact same spot for a picnic, contests
and prizes to commemorate the 1914 event and to celebrate the return of
mass-market electric vehicles. This event may become the largest gathering of
EVs in Washington since 1915.

We welcome electric vehicle owners and enthusiasts to join us and especially
would be interested in any automobiles from that period that can attend. We do
need for you to RSVP and you can do that on this Meetup page .

Lanny Hartmann "

Re: Electric "Trailer Mover" from Ridding Mower

Dwain Swick
Jerry
 I designed and built many electric tugs from 1990 thru 2006 when I sold my company. Most of my designs were for aircraft tugs. I had a line of tugs for moving trailers. Pull type campers and fifth wheel campers. The camper dealers would use them to move trailers in and out of the shop and parking displays. I used permanent magnet motors. Usually with a one to three hp motor. A small winch motor could move a large load. I'm assuming you are going to run the motor thru the transaxle on the tractor. With that gear reduction you won't go very fast but will be able to pull a large load. You would probably want to run a 24v system. The motor could be a 12 to 24 volt unit. You could rob an old golf cart controller. Be sure to get the pot for it also.
When using a riding lawn mower for the chassis, keep the hitch for the trailer as close to the centerline of the rear axle as possible. Keep the batteries up front where the gas engine was. Maybe you can keep the front wheels on the ground.  Use deep cycle batteries, not car batteries. This shouldn't be a very difficult project and a fun way to get your feet wet in an electric vehicle.
Let me know if I can be of assistance.
Dwain Swick
kansasev.com,

Re: Electric "Trailer Mover" from Ridding Mower

fotajoye
Jerry:
Link over to http://evalbum.com/ and search using your tractor brand name; you should find some examples or tractor conversions.  I converted a Sears lawn tractor using 4x 12v 85 amp deep cycle batteries from Costco, mounted three in the front and cut the chassis in the back to mount the other.

I bought the 48v controller and motor, cables, contactor, main switch, fuse, wiring info, etc., from http://www.evdrives.com/?tx=48S197713A7834604&st=Completed&amt=30.09&cc=USD&cm=&item_number=3129541 .

Purchased a Chinese foot peddle off eBay

You can now purchase motors that will accept the main drive pulley without machining.  Could save money here because machining is crazy expensive these days.

My tractor makes a great tug; however, as a lawn cutter, it's a bust because the deck draws a great amount of current and you really need about 48v/200 amps of lithiums so you can muscle it through tall grass.

I  use two small 12v/10 amp chargers and move them around to charge the Pb batteries.

Ladson

Re: Electric "Trailer Mover" from Ridding Mower

salty9
You could modify a mobility chair for use as a tug. I picked up a used one
for $75.

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 11:29 PM, fotajoye <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jerry:
> Link over to http://evalbum.com/ and search using your tractor brand name;
> you should find some examples or tractor conversions.  I converted a Sears
> lawn tractor using 4x 12v 85 amp deep cycle batteries from Costco, mounted
> three in the front and cut the chassis in the back to mount the other.
>
> I bought the 48v controller and motor, cables, contactor, main switch,
> fuse,
> wiring info, etc., from
>
> http://www.evdrives.com/?tx=48S197713A7834604&st=Completed&amt=30.09&cc=USD&cm=&item_number=3129541
> .
>
> Purchased a Chinese foot peddle off eBay
>
> You can now purchase motors that will accept the main drive pulley without
> machining.  Could save money here because machining is crazy expensive
> these
> days.
>
> My tractor makes a great tug; however, as a lawn cutter, it's a bust
> because
> the deck draws a great amount of current and you really need about 48v/200
> amps of lithiums so you can muscle it through tall grass.
>
> I  use two small 12v/10 amp chargers and move them around to charge the Pb
> batteries.
>

> Ladson

Re: Electric "Trailer Mover" from Ridding Mower

Peakfoto Digital Photo Still n Video