EnerDel batteries and packs

Collin Kidder
I'm looking to purchase a bunch of batteries to build up a pack (around
350v, 30-60ah). Recently I talked to someone about maybe buying some
EnerDel batteries. They'd be Moxie+ cells and/or Vigor+ battery packs. I've
seen a couple of people (mainly Richard Hatfield) allude to using EnerDel
cells but I'm not sure if they're the same ones. Does anyone have some
experience with EnerDel batteries? Searching the internet it doesn't seem
as if very many people use them. But, their Moxie+ battery packs can have
some impressive specs. A 32ah pack is rated to 160A continuous, 480A surge.
That seems a bit high so I wonder whether it is just marketing hype or
whether they can actually do that without damage?

Re: EnerDel batteries and packs

brucedp5
fyi - Collin's email domain is in MI.

Newswires say they are still a viable company:

http://green.autoblog.com/2012/08/31/enerdel-second-battery-contract-for-volvo-c30-electric/
Still kicking, EnerDel gets second battery contract for Volvo C30 ...
Aug 31, 2012 – EnerDel, whose parent Ener1 declared bankruptcy in
January, won its second contract to make lithium-ion batteries for the
electric vehicle.

http://green.autoblog.com/2012/10/01/enerdel-battery-business-purdue-li-ion/
EnerDel still in battery business, now working with Purdue on li-ion ...
Oct 1, 2012 – EnerDel is giving the university's College of Technology a
collection of lithium-ion battery cells and research data worth about
$263,000.

Do you have an alternate brand in mind encase EnerDel does not work out?

{brucedp.150m.com}

-

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Does exactly what it says on the tin

Re: EnerDel batteries and packs

Collin Kidder
Yes, I do have an alternate plan. The other plan would be to use CALB CA
series cells to get up to the proper voltage. But, these EnerDel cells just
came onto my radar so I wondered if they'd be worth using rather than the
more traditional route of using CALB or Sinopoly cells.

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Bruce EVangel Parmenter <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> fyi - Collin's email domain is in MI.
>
> Newswires say they are still a viable company:
>

> http://green.autoblog.com/2012/08/31/enerdel-second-battery-contract-for-volvo-c30-electric/
> Still kicking, EnerDel gets second battery contract for Volvo C30 ...
> Aug 31, 2012 – EnerDel, whose parent Ener1 declared bankruptcy in
> January, won its second contract to make lithium-ion batteries for the
> electric vehicle.
>

> http://green.autoblog.com/2012/10/01/enerdel-battery-business-purdue-li-ion/
> EnerDel still in battery business, now working with Purdue on li-ion ...
> Oct 1, 2012 – EnerDel is giving the university's College of Technology a
> collection of lithium-ion battery cells and research data worth about
> $263,000.
>

> Do you have an alternate brand in mind encase EnerDel does not work out?
>
> {brucedp.150m.com}
>

> -
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013, at 10:54 AM, Collin Kidder wrote:
> > I'm looking to purchase a bunch of batteries to build up a pack (around
> > 350v, 30-60ah). Recently I talked to someone about maybe buying some
> > EnerDel batteries. They'd be Moxie+ cells and/or Vigor+ battery packs.
> > I've
> > seen a couple of people (mainly Richard Hatfield) allude to using EnerDel
> > cells but I'm not sure if they're the same ones. Does anyone have some
> > experience with EnerDel batteries? Searching the internet it doesn't seem
> > as if very many people use them. But, their Moxie+ battery packs can have
> > some impressive specs. A 32ah pack is rated to 160A continuous, 480A
> > surge.
> > That seems a bit high so I wonder whether it is just marketing hype or
> > whether they can actually do that without damage?
> -
>
> --
> http://www.fastmail.fm - Does exactly what it says on the tin

Re: EnerDel batteries and packs

Jeff Major
Collin,

Contact me off list.

Jeff M

________________________________

[hidden email]> wrote:

> fyi - Collin's email domain is in MI.
>
> Newswires say they are still a viable company:
>

> http://green.autoblog.com/2012/08/31/enerdel-second-battery-contract-for-volvo-c30-electric/
> Still kicking, EnerDel gets second battery contract for Volvo C30 ...
> Aug 31, 2012 – EnerDel, whose parent Ener1 declared bankruptcy in
> January, won its second contract to make lithium-ion batteries for the
> electric vehicle.
>

> http://green.autoblog.com/2012/10/01/enerdel-battery-business-purdue-li-ion/
> EnerDel still in battery business, now working with Purdue on li-ion ...
> Oct 1, 2012 – EnerDel is giving the university's College of Technology a
> collection of lithium-ion battery cells and research data worth about
> $263,000.
>

> Do you have an alternate brand in mind encase EnerDel does not work out?
>
> {brucedp.150m.com}
>

> -
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013, at 10:54 AM, Collin Kidder wrote:
> > I'm looking to purchase a bunch of batteries to build up a pack (around
> > 350v, 30-60ah). Recently I talked to someone about maybe buying some
> > EnerDel batteries. They'd be Moxie+ cells and/or Vigor+ battery packs.
> > I've
> > seen a couple of people (mainly Richard Hatfield) allude to using EnerDel
> > cells but I'm not sure if they're the same ones. Does anyone have some
> > experience with EnerDel batteries? Searching the internet it doesn't seem
> > as if very many people use them. But, their Moxie+ battery packs can have
> > some impressive specs. A 32ah pack is rated to 160A continuous, 480A
> > surge.
> > That seems a bit high so I wonder whether it is just marketing hype or
> > whether they can actually do that without damage?
> -
>
> --
> http://www.fastmail.fm - Does exactly what it says on the tin

Re: EnerDel batteries and packs

Ruckus
Just my 2¢ worth..
You give the discharge as 5C continuous and 15C pulse.  That is OK but not
super impressive, I guess it comes down to cost and your application.  $/ah?

The liyuan cap/bat cells are 10C continuous and 25C pulse.  These have been
confirmed by testing and the vids are on YouTube.  They drop pretty quick
at 25c but hold good at ~15C maybe a bit more.  Definitely better than calb
ca.

I will be using them in my 36 IH since I need 600-900A from a 60ah cell.
My friend ordered and they shipped within a few day so things seem good so
far...

Just another option.  Right now they are $1.65/ah. So it just depends
whether you are after cheap range or a small but powerful battery.
Cheers
I'm looking to purchase a bunch of batteries to build up a pack (around
350v, 30-60ah). Recently I talked to someone about maybe buying some
EnerDel batteries. They'd be Moxie+ cells and/or Vigor+ battery packs. I've
seen a couple of people (mainly Richard Hatfield) allude to using EnerDel
cells but I'm not sure if they're the same ones. Does anyone have some
experience with EnerDel batteries? Searching the internet it doesn't seem
as if very many people use them. But, their Moxie+ battery packs can have
some impressive specs. A 32ah pack is rated to 160A continuous, 480A surge.
That seems a bit high so I wonder whether it is just marketing hype or
whether they can actually do that without damage?

Re: EnerDel batteries and packs

JerryBattery
Enerdel's cell chemistry seems to be LiNiCoMn, not LiFePO4. Is it feasible
for individuals to use the LiNiCoMn cells for their conversion ?

Jerry