Experience with EV100 (EVT15) GE controller blowing diode and IGBT

Experience with EV100 (EVT15) GE controller blowing diode and IGBT

Cor van de Water
I hope someone can share their experience with the

(mostly used for Forklift at 36V) EV100 controller from GE,

A.K.A. EVT15.

This is a DC controller with nice features, protection against

starting if a condition exists that would cause the motor to

run too fast, such as a short-circuited IGBT.

I have the variant that was adapted for EV by running it

at 120V nominal (20 golfcart batteries) however it continues

to blow (expensive) IGBT and Schottky diodes.

In an attempt to beef the controller up (maybe it was not

working well with my 11" motor - too little inductance and

too high peaks - I changed the diode to a 400A version

(used to be 200A) where the max current that I ever see

is in the order of 320A.

Also the IGBT is beefed up - now running one of the

Ebay CM600HA-24H (1200V 600A) which should be

totally overkill, but earlier this week I again lost power

in my truck - indeed: error 48 which means that the

diode shorted (again) which causes the IGBT to open

into battery pack (the diode shorts out the motor, so

the IGBT is not connecting the motor to the battery but

is trying to short the pack terminals... Boom.

The IGBT blew open, the gate snubber (zener) was

blown (glass cracked and shorted) and one of the

Schottky freewheel diode halves was shorted...

I am getting faster in pulling out the core of the

controller, but I rather have it not blow up.

Anybody a suggestion how to avoid this?

Thanks in advance,

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
<http://www.proxim.com>
Email: [hidden email] Private: http://www.cvandewater.info
<http://www.cvandewater.infom>
Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626

Re: Experience with EV100 (EVT15) GE controller blowing diode and IGBT

Jeffrey Jenkins
Cor van de Water wrote
I hope someone can share their experience with the

(mostly used for Forklift at 36V) EV100 controller from GE,

A.K.A. EVT15.

This is a DC controller with nice features, protection against

starting if a condition exists that would cause the motor to

run too fast, such as a short-circuited IGBT....
Now I might be mistaken here, but I thought the GE EV100 used an *SCR* as the switch, not an IGBT...

Here is a link to a manual I found when I searched for "GE EV100 controlller":

http://www.fsip.biz/Documents/EV100ZX%20%20TECH.pdf

Is that it?

Re: Experience with EV100 (EVT15) GE controller blowing diode and IGBT

rodhower
EVT15 is a transistor based control,
https://plus.google.com/photos/102124681118672255625/albums/5307097062273482529?banner=pwa

Hopefully that link will bring up the schematic and elementary diagram of the
control.
What voltage are the Schottky diodes?
The layout of that control was poor allowing high parasitic inductance.  While
switching high
current the voltage overshoot is quite high, I would expect almost double the
pack voltage.
That control was designed for a 9" GE motor wound for 96V.  What is the
nameplate voltage
of the 11" motor?  Current limit on that control is software regulated, not
hardware, so it's possible
peak currents during acceleration are quite high.
Rod
P.S. GE also made an EVT100, which is a transistor based EV100 (SCR based).
These were special IGBT's made for GE by IR back in the early 90's and are rated
at 250V

> I hope someone can share their experience with the
>
> (mostly used for Forklift at 36V) EV100 controller from GE,
>
> A.K.A. EVT15.
>
> This is a DC controller with nice features, protection against
>
> starting if a condition exists that would cause the motor to
>
> run too fast, such as a short-circuited IGBT....

Now I might be mistaken here, but I thought the GE EV100 used an *SCR* as
the switch, not an IGBT...

Here is a link to a manual I found when I searched for "GE EV100
controlller":

http://www.fsip.biz/Documents/EV100ZX%20%20TECH.pdf

Is that it?

Nabble.com.

Re: Experience with EV100 (EVT15) GE controller blowingdiode and IGBT

Cor van de Water
I am using a 403CNQ400
so 400V, 400A
I do not expect the voltage to be the problem
as these are the freewheel diodes - they see
the voltage across the motor, never more than 130V.

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist

On 11/8/2012 3:08 AM, Cor van de Water wrote:
> I hope someone can share their experience with the
> (mostly used for Forklift at 36V) EV100 controller from GE,
> A.K.A. EVT15.

It seems unlikely that you're blowing the parts from overcurrent. That
means they are failing due to overvoltage. Since your pack voltage is
much lower than the part's voltage breakdown rating, I suspect snubber
problems.

Is there an RC or RCD snubber on the IGBT? If so, check or replace its
parts. The resistor may have opened up, or the capacitor developed a
high ESR. Snubbers have to carry very high peak currents and voltages,
and while the average power dissipation isn't all that high, the stress
levels can easily murder the parts.

--
Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently.
         -- Henry Ford

Re: Experience with EV100 (EVT15) GE controller blowing diode and IGBT

Cor van de Water
Hi Lee,
Thanks for the suggestions and getting my brain into gear
to research and *measure* what was going on.

After driving approx 1200 miles the 1200V 600A IGBT blew
and the replacement blew again within 1 mile, so I needed
to change something to stop repeating the cycle.

I still have not measured on the working controller, but I
finally found some time to remove it from the truck and
go through it with a multimeter and power supply.
Interesting - I had expected that the reason the IGBT blew
was that I installed a half-blown diode, which was my only
spare part (or so I thought until I found the one I had
ordered as spare half a year ago and forgot about).
This diode has two bolts on top and a metal base,
because it is actually two 200A diodes that are wired in
parallel in this application (they can also be used to
feed DC power from two separate independent sources)
Anyway - one of the two diodes was open circuit when I
temporarily installed this diode and I fully expected that
the remaining 200A freewheel diode had blown, taking the IGBT with it.

Great was my surprise to find the IGBT unresponsive to its G
input, but the diode still working perfectly (on one leg).
So, I checked the snubber as you suggested.
Perfect R-C behavior - I even removed the shrinkwrap from one
(I was using two in parallel) and it measured out at 5 Ohm
(2x 10 Ohm parallel) and a 15nF 630V Vishay MKT1813 cap.
Then I noticed that the two snubbers both were on the diode,
but that means only snubbing from motor to +pack, there was
no snubber across the IGBT (motor to -pack). Hmmm, that is
easily solved - simply relocate one to the bolts on the IGBT.
(Of course there is a bulk capacitor from + to -pack, but
that is a large Elco so for high frequency it does not do much)

Before putting everything back together I tested if a
positive Gate voltage on the new IGBT did open it and that
was indeed the case (the blown one did not respond to G input)
while the new IGBT neatly opened at around +5V on its Gate
and suddenly I got another idea: was the Gate protection zener
working? So I measured it and no - it did not conduct at all.
Oops. So I scrounged around and found a hacked power supply
that had a 1N4743 (13V) zener to replace the blown 1N4746A (18V)
Gate protection diode. I verified that the driver power supply is
only 12V so the 13V zener should be OK.
Sooooo - it looks like Rod was right - the layout of the EV100
controller is bad enough that a non-working protection zener
on the IGBT gate can cause it to blow within minutes...
I also lowered the pull-down resistor on the IGBT gate from
1k to 330 Ohms (adding a 510 Ohm in parallel) so that it helps
reduce spikes and will turn the IGBT off in case there is a
bad contact in the Gate drive wire connector, also it lowers
the impedance so in case there is cross-talk from adjacent
high dV/dt wires then the chance of that taking out the Gate
or turning the IGBT on at the wrong moment is reduced.

We will see how the new IGBT does, though I think I will order
another spare one just in case (I don't like having the truck
down for more than a week, waiting for parts). It was also
extremely bad timing as we were moving this week to a new place
so I had to borrow a truck to move furniture and to tow my EV
to the new place. Hopefully it will be under its own power for
some time to come!

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203

On 11/8/2012 3:08 AM, Cor van de Water wrote:
> I hope someone can share their experience with the
> (mostly used for Forklift at 36V) EV100 controller from GE,
> A.K.A. EVT15.

It seems unlikely that you're blowing the parts from overcurrent. That
means they are failing due to overvoltage. Since your pack voltage is
much lower than the part's voltage breakdown rating, I suspect snubber
problems.

Is there an RC or RCD snubber on the IGBT? If so, check or replace its
parts. The resistor may have opened up, or the capacitor developed a
high ESR. Snubbers have to carry very high peak currents and voltages,
and while the average power dissipation isn't all that high, the stress
levels can easily murder the parts.

--
Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently.
         -- Henry Ford
--
Lee A. Hart http://www.sunrise-ev.com/LeesEVs [hidden email]

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/ms-tnef
Size: 5878 bytes
Desc: not available

Re: Experience with EV100 (EVT15) GE controller blowing diode and IGBT

rodhower
Cor,
I wouldn't use a 13V zener - it may short and damage the gate drive or open the
0805 27 ohm gate resistor (I think its
27 ohm, I could be incorrect). Go with the original 1N4746A

On 11/8/2012 3:08 AM, Cor van de Water wrote:
> I hope someone can share their experience with the
> (mostly used for Forklift at 36V) EV100 controller from GE,
> A.K.A. EVT15.

It seems unlikely that you're blowing the parts from overcurrent. That
means they are failing due to overvoltage. Since your pack voltage is
much lower than the part's voltage breakdown rating, I suspect snubber
problems.

Is there an RC or RCD snubber on the IGBT? If so, check or replace its
parts. The resistor may have opened up, or the capacitor developed a
high ESR. Snubbers have to carry very high peak currents and voltages,
and while the average power dissipation isn't all that high, the stress
levels can easily murder the parts.

--
Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently.
         -- Henry Ford
--
Lee A. Hart http://www.sunrise-ev.com/LeesEVs [hidden email]

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/ms-tnef
Size: 5878 bytes
Desc: not available

Re: Experience with EV100 (EVT15) GE controller blowingdiode and IGBT

Cor van de Water
Hi Rod,
Since the power supply is spec'ed at 12V (I never measured the output
from the DC/DC so correct me if I am wrong) I would not expect a problem
with a 13V zener on the IGBT gate, because the drivers cannot push it
higher than 12V and there is a series resistor between drivers and gate,
which will also protect the driver if it tries to drive higher and the
zener limits the voltage.
In fact, I repaired that gate resistor in the first instance of the IGBT
blowing up (the state of things when I bought the truck) where
apparently the gate internally shorted to the Collector of the IGBT and
approx +120V was sent to the driver through the gate resistor which
instantly vaporized the resistor, opening the circuit and protecting the
drivers.

The only weird thing that I see recently is that the integrated display
regularly throws an error while driving, I have seen -116 and -129 and
even the display has managed to show -1211 (all 4 vertical bars of the
last segment were lit...) The error does not affect the driving and I
can continue without problem, the error shows once and then disappears
when the SoC estimation is re-displayed. It seems to happen more for
high SoC and high current operation. I am wondering if it is capacitive
or inductive coupling of motor pulses into the temp sensor wiring,
because due to the changed topology, the temp sensor wiring is now lying
against the high current bus bar on the Emitter of the IGBT and against
the IGBT body with its internal wiring carrying the switched motor
current.

I have never experienced the total drop-out again - that was most likely
caused by the charging outlet on the front (grille) of the truck, which
has a built-in switch that disables the controller when the outlet cover
is lifted. I believe that is wired to the seat switch or deadman switch
input. Which would explain that a dirty contact or a cover moving while
driving could cause the controller to cease operation (and the display
show its running hours number) as if everything was turned off with the
key switch.

Other than that occasional error the controller is now screetching as in
old times, I just passed the 1500 mile mark since I bought the truck
half a year ago and the hours-in-operation counter has gone from 20 to
90. I am telling you, the previous owners have not used this truck much
in the 17 year since conversion. And I have not been able to use the
truck many weeks due to travel this summer and fall. Most days I put
another 15-25 miles on it.

Chief Scientist