Factory ford ev ranger battery replacement

Factory ford ev ranger battery replacement

Steve Clunn
I have a chance to help get a Factory Ford ev ranger back on the road
. It has the 8 v lead batteries and the owner would like to replace
them with li-ion . He is thinking of using the ones that charge to
4.2v so as to hook there BMS/  up to every other battery and trick the
truck into running  , not to use there BMS on the batteries but just
to fool the thing (there are wires on every 8v battery right now
which all go the some kind of box)   into going . I understand that we
couldn't use that charger that came with it .   The previous owner
said that before it stopped going it had lost all its range , down to
about a mile so we are hoping its just the batteries .  I am worried
about spending all that money for the new Li-ion batteries and not
getting the truck to go.
Steve Clunn

--
Tomorrows Ride TODAY !
Visit our shop web page at: www.Greenshedconversions.com

Re: Factory ford ev ranger battery replacement

martinwinlow
Steve,  You could keep the layout the same and just use 39 sub packs
of 3 ThunderSky cells of whatever capacity your friend can afford
(size permitting, of course) - 90Ah ones would give better range than
the original lead I would have thought.  That way you could probably
fool the system and keep the charger too, though the latter would need
its charge profile altering to suit the new battery chemistry.

Hasn't anyone else done this already?

Regards, Martin Winlow
Herts, UK
http://www.evalbum.com/2092
www.winlow.co.uk

On 11 Sep 2010, at 14:18, Steve Clunn wrote:

> I have a chance to help get a Factory Ford ev ranger back on the road
> . It has the 8 v lead batteries and the owner would like to replace
> them with li-ion . He is thinking of using the ones that charge to
> 4.2v so as to hook there BMS/  up to every other battery and trick the
> truck into running  , not to use there BMS on the batteries but just
> to fool the thing (there are wires on every 8v battery right now
> which all go the some kind of box)   into going . I understand that we
> couldn't use that charger that came with it .   The previous owner
> said that before it stopped going it had lost all its range , down to
> about a mile so we are hoping its just the batteries .  I am worried
> about spending all that money for the new Li-ion batteries and not
> getting the truck to go.
> Steve Clunn

Re: Factory ford ev ranger battery replacement

tomw
3C for 90Ah cells is only 270A.  He is likely to pull much more than that during acceleration in such a heavy vehicle, especially with a load (I typically pull 200 to 400A in a 2250 lb vehicle).  I would use at least CALB 180Ah or Thundersky 200Ah cells, and 260Ah would be better.

Re: Factory ford ev ranger battery replacement

John Lussmyer
  On 9/11/2010 7:30 AM, tomw wrote:
> 3C for 90Ah cells is only 270A.  He is likely to pull much more than that
> during acceleration in such a heavy vehicle, especially with a load (I
> typically pull 200 to 400A in a 2250 lb vehicle).  I would use at least CALB
> 180Ah or Thundersky 200Ah cells, and 260Ah would be better.

So, you know you have the same voltage pack as a Ford Ranger EV?

John G. Lussmyer  mailto:[hidden email]
Electric Vehicle Battery Monitoring Systems, http://www.CasaDelGato.com

Re: Factory ford ev ranger battery replacement

shred
Here is a link to someone who has done both 12 volt AGM lead & prismatic 100AH cells. He tells how to fool the computer in the how to section.
http://southtownelanes.com/electric_pickups.html#
I have a 228 page service manual for this truck in PDF if you ever want it.
Also Tom the Ranger is a 312 volt system so it will need less then half the current that you lower voltage EV needs for the same performance.
Neal

Re: Factory ford ev ranger battery replacement

Ricky Suiter
http://southtownelanes.com/electric_pickups.html

Click on the pictures and browse around, tons of Ranger info. It looks like he's done two lithium conversions.

On the lithium iron phosphate cells 4.2 volts is the absolute max, 3.6 will be full and there is no need to charge to 4.2.

Regards,
Ricky Suiter
Elite Power Solutions
92 Saturn SC Conversion

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 15
> Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 09:18:40 -0400
> From: Steve Clunn <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [EVDL] Factory ford ev ranger battery replacement
> To: [hidden email]
>
> I have a chance to help get a Factory Ford ev ranger back
> on the road
> . It has the 8 v lead batteries and the owner would like to
> replace
> them with li-ion . He is thinking of using the ones that
> charge to
> 4.2v so as to hook there BMS/? up to every other battery
> and trick the
> truck into running  , not to use there BMS on the
> batteries but just
> to fool the thing (there are wires on every 8v battery
> right now
> which all go the some kind of box) ? into going . I
> understand that we
> couldn't use that charger that came with it . ? The
> previous owner
> said that before it stopped going it had lost all its range
> , down to
> about a mile so we are hoping its just the batteries .? I
> am worried
> about spending all that money for the new Li-ion batteries
> and not
> getting the truck to go.
> Steve Clunn
>

> --
> Tomorrows Ride TODAY !
> Visit our shop web page at: www.Greenshedconversions.com

Re: Factory ford ev ranger battery replacement

cowtown
<<<< 3C for 90Ah cells is only 270A.  He is likely to pull much more than that
during acceleration in such a heavy vehicle, especially with a load (I
typically pull 200 to 400A in a 2250 lb vehicle).  I would use at least CALB
180Ah or Thundersky 200Ah cells, and 260Ah would be better. >>>>

No, 270A pk is about all the controller will take, and probably not
for more than several seconds. A bigger problem is those Delphi 8v
batteries: they hit end of charge at just over 10.1v, so your 3-packs
of lithium will get just under 3.4V each. You'd have to use a resistor
at each sensor wire to trick the charger into handling a higher
voltage - still, even if you did have to do that, it would be more
straight-forward than all the voltage splitting owners had to do to
substitute in 12v batteries and cheaper than getting the NiMH harness.

There was at least one Yahoo group on this.

Re: Factory ford ev ranger battery replacement

Steve Clunn
Sorry about the post with all the ? marks instead of words . I think
this happens when you write in "rich formatting" and then switch to
"plane text" .
The Idea of using 3 3.6 v li-ion cells and keeping the charger is
interesting . The 8v battery will end its charge at about 10.8v which
is very close to the voltage of 3  3.6v li-ion . Could have the Li-ion
BMS control a ac relay that would be on the factory charger.  The re
gen might not work as the controller would think that battery voltage
was to hi but that's no biggey .
     I did look at the switch to 12v batteries and it looks like a
string of resistors set to give a 39  8 volt drops across the 26
batteries 12v batteries . That they use 5.1k and there abouts to do
the job leads me to believe that there is No battery balancing going
on in the original set up or maybe there is but when using the
resistors its not in use . I could see the factory BMS trying to
balance the batteries through the resistor net work and not being very
happy .
     The 8 volt batteries in the pack now have 85 amp hours written on
them . I would assume they would give 40 amp hours of drive time , or
about 13kwh . This seems a bit on the low side as there looks to be
over 1400 lbs of batteries .  Is the 85 ah rating closer to the truth
than the way most lead batteries are rated  . For some reason I though
these trucks had a 60 mile range but can't see that with 13kwh pack.
Thanks for all the input
Steve Clunn

--
Tomorrows Ride TODAY !
Visit our shop web page at: www.Greenshedconversions.com

Re: Factory ford ev ranger battery replacement

Skip
I am in need of the Ford Ranger EV manual. I just bought a non running  Ford Ranger EV and the owner didn't have EV the manual. PDF format is just fine.

Have a good day  "Skip"

Re: Factory ford ev ranger battery replacement

brucedp5
Try
http://google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q="ford+ranger+electric"+manual

{brucedp.150m.com}

http://www.fastmail.fm - A fast, anti-spam email service.

Re: Factory ford ev ranger battery replacement

brucedp5
And consider joining
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ranger-ev/
which is for the Production Ford Ranger Electric (not conversions, other
groups are for that).

http://www.fastmail.fm - Access your email from home and the web