Fiero hybrid conversion - using electric S-10 FWD components

Fiero hybrid conversion - using electric S-10 FWD components

Darin -@- ForkenSwift.com
I'm not sure if this has come up on the list already - I only check in periodically.  But I didn't find anything in a quick review of recent posts.

Someone is doing quite an amazing job converting a 1988 Pontiac Fiero into a parallel "through the road" plug-in hybrid using the car's original ICE powering the rear wheels, and a FWD conversion made with components from a GM S-10 EV (essentially EV1 parts, from what I understand).  Batteries are from three used Prius gen. 2 packs.

On top of everything else, the builder's budget is just $2009 (not counting copious amounts of labour).  It's for a Grassroots Racing event.

Details: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/west-coast-2009-challenger-awd-fiero-hybrid/10519/page1/

or http://tinyurl.com/l5sxnk

Sorry if this has already been posted!

cheers-
Darin

48 volt / 400 amp beer budget Geo Metro
http://www.forkenswift.com

Re: Fiero hybrid conversion - using electric S-10 FWD components

evan foss
Shame you can't get one last replacement NiMH pack for the thing while
it is still and S-10.

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 11:37 PM, Darin at-
forkenswift.com<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not sure if this has come up on the list already - I only check in
> periodically.  But I didn't find anything in a quick review of recent posts.
>
> Someone is doing quite an amazing job converting a 1988 Pontiac Fiero into a
> parallel "through the road" plug-in hybrid using the car's original ICE
> powering the rear wheels, and a FWD conversion made with components from a
> GM S-10 EV (essentially EV1 parts, from what I understand).  Batteries are
> from three used Prius gen. 2 packs.
>
> On top of everything else, the builder's budget is just $2009 (not counting
> copious amounts of labour).  It's for a Grassroots Racing event.
>
> Details:
> http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/west-coast-2009-challenger-awd-fiero-hybrid/10519/page1/
>
> or http://tinyurl.com/l5sxnk
>
> Sorry if this has already been posted!
>
> cheers-
> Darin
>
> 48 volt / 400 amp beer budget Geo Metro
> http://www.forkenswift.com

http://www.coe.neu.edu/~efoss/
http://evanfoss.googlepages.com/

Re: Fiero hybrid conversion - using electric S-10 FWD components

Dave Hymers
That is awesome. :)
Fiero's will continue to kick butt!

Re: Fiero hybrid conversion - using electric S-10 FWD components

Jack Murray

Cool project, I love beer-budget projects.  How the heck did he find an S10 EV motor for $1000?  For the grassroot motorsports $2009 challenge, seems like a bad choice.
It will be too heavy to be competitive.
Better off using an all-electric car (if not using gasoline).
Use some cheap small car starting batteries.

Re: Fiero hybrid conversion - using electric S-10 FWD components

Darin -@- ForkenSwift.com
Jack Murray wrote
Cool project, I love beer-budget projects.  How the heck did he find an S10 EV motor for $1000?
He mentioned in his build thread that he's near a salvage yard - Schram's - near Detroit that gets all kinds of cool "scrap" from the automakers, especially GM.  The S10 bits were a "find".

Jack Murray wrote
For the grassroot motorsports $2009 challenge, seems like a bad choice.
From a racing/handling perspective, probably, and the builder as much as admits that.  He's doing it for the fun of it, and putting it in the competition to show that budget electric projects don't all have to be "Geos with forklift motors that can't go fast enough to get on the highway."  [ His words! :) ]  Also, I believe there's an "engineering" award to be had...

cheers-
Darin

48 volt / 400 amp beer budget Geo Metro < $1K
http://www.forkenswift.com