First 72v test drive of 144v 500amp homemade controller successful!

First 72v test drive of 144v 500amp homemade controller successful!

MPaulHolmes
I've been working since December 16th on a homemade controller.  I started with a low power 72v 40amp controller that I tested on my bike, then based on Ian Hooper's power section layout, I started on a 144v 500amp controller.  I finished it a few days ago, and tested it at 12v.  It can take any input in the range 0v to 144v, because it's powered by the 12v auxiliary battery (super fancy isolated 9-18v to 12v isolated DC to DC suggested by Otmar!  Thanks Otmar!  It works perfectly!).  If you choose 0v, you won't go very fast, though.  hehe.

I have a 72v super beetle, so I took out my 48v-72v 400amp curtis controller, and put in the homemade one.  It works great!  It's so much fun!  Parts cost I think is around $300 or $350.

I checked it out on the oscilloscope and the voltage spikes seem pretty small, so I think the 200v components will handle 144v fine.  I have a friend that's going to test it at higher voltages.  It's hard, but not THAT hard.  I think anyone that can learn soldering can do it!  Also, you would need to have the power board etched with a pretty basic design.  I'll give my software away for free if anyone wants it.  I'm not a professional programmer though, so you probably could do better.  I used an ATMega8 microcontroller, and hardware current limiting.  It is so much fun!  I'm so happy!

Re: First 72v test drive of 144v 500amp homemade controller successful!

Roger Heuckeroth

On Mar 21, 2009, at 9:39 PM, paul holmes wrote:

> I've been working since December 16th on a homemade controller.  I
> started
> with a low power 72v 40amp controller that I tested on my bike, then
> based
> on Ian Hooper's power section layout, I started on a 144v 500amp
> controller.
> I finished it a few days ago, and tested it at 12v.  It can take any
> input
> in the range 0v to 144v, because it's powered by the 12v auxiliary
> battery
> (super fancy isolated 9-18v to 12v isolated DC to DC suggested by
> Otmar!
> Thanks Otmar!  It works perfectly!).  If you choose 0v, you won't go
> very
> fast, though.  hehe.
>
> I have a 72v super beetle, so I took out my 48v-72v 400amp curtis
> controller, and put in the homemade one.  It works great!  It's so
> much fun!
> Parts cost I think is around $300 or $350.
>
> I checked it out on the oscilloscope and the voltage spikes seem
> pretty
> small, so I think the 200v components will handle 144v fine.  I have a
> friend that's going to test it at higher voltages.  It's hard, but
> not THAT
> hard.  I think anyone that can learn soldering can do it!  Also, you
> would
> need to have the power board etched with a pretty basic design.
> I'll give
> my software away for free if anyone wants it.  I'm not a professional
> programmer though, so you probably could do better.  I used an ATMega8
> microcontroller, and hardware current limiting.  It is so much fun!
> I'm so
> happy!

Cool.  That's quite the accomplishment.  Do you have details anywhere
to share with us?

Re: First 72v test drive of 144v 500amp homemade controller successful!

MPaulHolmes
Roger Heuckeroth wrote

Cool.  That's quite the accomplishment.  Do you have details anywhere
to share with us?

Heck yes I do!  hehe.  Sorry, I was sort of excited yesterday, and I forgot to give the links.

http://s419.photobucket.com/albums/pp280/MPaulHolmes/
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/paul-sabrinas-cheap-144v-motor-controller-6404-61.html

Here's the first two test drives:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGhNXSk6BEw

Re: First 72v test drive of 144v 500amp homemade controller successful!

rodhower

Re: First 72v test drive of 144v 500amp homemade controller successful!

Paul,

Great photos and good to see how complicated the trade-offs
are for achieving short paths for all the power components
at the same time.
You have an interesting configuration and that while using
only single sided PCB!
Well, for the interconnection of the power stage and the
caps you actually sandwich two boards, but still it is
an interesting approach.

Just about the only thing I would have done differently
in your design is to turn all caps 1/4 so the minuses are
all in the same direction, this will avoid mistakes in
accidentally placing a cap the wrong way and would also
make it easier to wrap the + and - traces around the end
to give a "fork" of interconnected + and - lines, hooking
into each other and avoiding that a single bolt not making
contact will disable four caps.
When all power traces are interconnected at the end, then you
can also use much smaller bolts. I believe my DCP Raptor 600
uses only 3 much smaller bolts on each side to connect the
capacitor bank to the power section.
Drawback of all capacitors oriented in the same direction
as I suggested is that the traces should weave between the
pins of the caps in order to still give you copper around
each pin, which is also the mechanical mounting of the caps
unless you support or glue them to the PCB.

Did you measure the temp difference between the copper
block of the popwer section and the heatsink?
I am a bit concerned how the heatsink will contact the
copper along its entire length when there are only two
bolts tightening it down on each end, the risk is that
only the ends of the copper block are physically in
contact with the heatsink.

Success!

Cor van de Water
Director HW & Systems Architecture Group
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [hidden email]
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        magicJack: +1 408 844 3932
Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203 XoIP: +31877841130

> Cool.  That's quite the accomplishment.  Do you have details anywhere

> to share with us?

Heck yes I do!  hehe.  Sorry, I was sort of excited yesterday, and I
forgot
to give the links.

http://s419.photobucket.com/albums/pp280/MPaulHolmes/
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/paul-sabrinas-cheap-144v-motor