Fixing an Altrax Controller

drowe67
Hi - I have a friends AXE7234 72V 300A controller that has popped.  On
opening the case it is all black potting compound.  Is there any way to
easily remove this stuff and service the controller?

Thanks,

David

Re: Fixing an Altrax Controller

Bob Bath
I'd be surprised!
They worked for quite awhile to come up with that compound so that it would expand and contract properly w/o damaging components.  I think the deal is that it helps thermally to conduct heat to the case and keep out moisture.
Why not give them a call?  541.476.3565 I believe

Thinking about converting a gen. 5 ('92-95) Honda Civic?  My $23 "CivicWithACord" DVD (57 mins.) shows ins and outs you'll encounter converting the sedan; the del Sol, or the hatchback. Each runs 144V/18 batteries.  Primary focus on component/instrumentation/ battery placement and other considerations.  For more info,   http://home.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                       __/__|__\__
             =D-------/   - -     \
                      'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
OR Lic. "LCTRNS"

> Hi - I have a friends AXE7234 72V 300A controller that has
> popped.  On
> opening the case it is all black potting compound.  Is
> there any way to
> easily remove this stuff and service the controller?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

Re: Fixing an Altrax Controller

Chris
You could try soaking it in acetone.  I know it will desolve most plastics
as well as paint, print on circuit board, heat shrink on capaciters etc.
Basically, don't try it unless its a last resort.

Stub

Bob Bath wrote:

> I'd be surprised!
> They worked for quite awhile to come up with that compound so that it
> would expand and contract properly w/o damaging components.  I think
> the deal is that it helps thermally to conduct heat to the case and
> keep out moisture.
> Why not give them a call?  541.476.3565 I believe
>
> Thinking about converting a gen. 5 ('92-95) Honda Civic?  My $23
>   "CivicWithACord" DVD (57 mins.) shows ins and outs you'll encounter
>                       converting the sedan; the del Sol, or the
>             hatchback. Each runs 144V/18 batteries.  Primary focus on
>                      component/instrumentation/ battery placement and
> other considerations.  For more info,
> http://home.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html ____ __/__|__\__
> =D-------/   - -     \ 'O'-----'O'-'
> Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the
> steering wheel?
> OR Lic. "LCTRNS"

....take small screwdriver and start poking and pulling....
....carefull when you reach any components....

Cor van de Water
Director HW & Systems Architecture Group
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [hidden email]
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Tel: +91 (040) 23117400x109 XoIP: +31877841130

David Rowe wrote:

> Hi - I have a friends AXE7234 72V 300A controller that has popped.  On

> opening the case it is all black potting compound.  Is there any way
> to easily remove this stuff and service the controller?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

Nabble.com.

Re: Fixing an Altrax Controller

David Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  I have a friends AXE7234 72V 300A controller that has popped.
>  On opening the case it is all black potting compound.  Is there
>  any way to easily remove this stuff and service the controller?

That depends on what they used. Some materials are intended to be
removable; others are not.

One common potting compound is a black material that has a consistency
like hard rubber (Dow Corning Sylgard 170). It can be removed
(laboriously) by heating the device in an oven to about 160-200 deg.F
(80-100 deg.C), which considerably softens the material so it can be
picked off with a sharp tool. The underlying parts won't be damaged.
There are solvents that will dissolve it, but unfortunately they will
also dissolve common electronic parts *inside* the potting compound.

--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget the perfect offering