Ford Focus EV Conversion

Tom Jones-5
Hi,

I'm considering converting a Ford Focus and looking for input about how good
a choice that might be. There are plenty of 2000 models available for
reasonable prices.

Does anyone have any knowledge of problems I might run into?

I have failed to find much about other Focus conversions using Google. My
rough concept is a DC system, probably 144 volts, with 12 volt lead acid
batteries.

I have helped with several other conversions but this will be my first. So,
any constructive criticism would be helpful.

Thanks

Tom

Re: Ford Focus EV Conversion

storm connors
Sounds on target to me. I'd measure and see if more batteries wouldn't fit.
6 or 8v batteries would give you more rang than the 12v. More weight and
space tho. How much does the Focus weigh. I'm thinking it is fairly light.

On 8/12/07, Tom Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm considering converting a Ford Focus and looking for input about how
> good
> a choice that might be. There are plenty of 2000 models available for
> reasonable prices.
>
> Does anyone have any knowledge of problems I might run into?
>
> I have failed to find much about other Focus conversions using Google. My
> rough concept is a DC system, probably 144 volts, with 12 volt lead acid
> batteries.
>
> I have helped with several other conversions but this will be my first.
> So,
> any constructive criticism would be helpful.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1059
http://stormselectric.blogspot.com/
Storm

Re: Ford Focus EV Conversion

Bob Bath
Perhaps I'm restating the same thing as someone else,
but if it were me, I'd be concerned with who has
already done one.
CivicWithACord was infinitely easier, b/c I'd seen/had
video/etc. of someone else's conversion of my model
and a resource RE: what do avoid, what the range would
be, etc.

--- storm connors <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sounds on target to me. I'd measure and see if more
> batteries wouldn't fit.
> 6 or 8v batteries would give you more rang than the
> 12v. More weight and
> space tho. How much does the Focus weigh. I'm
> thinking it is fairly light.
>
> On 8/12/07, Tom Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm considering converting a Ford Focus and
> looking for input about how
> > good
> > a choice that might be. There are plenty of 2000
> models available for
> > reasonable prices.
> >
> > Does anyone have any knowledge of problems I might
> run into?
> >
> > I have failed to find much about other Focus
> conversions using Google. My
> > rough concept is a DC system, probably 144 volts,
> with 12 volt lead acid
> > batteries.
> >
> > I have helped with several other conversions but
> this will be my first.
> > So,
> > any constructive criticism would be helpful.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Tom

> http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1059
> http://stormselectric.blogspot.com/
> Storm

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  For $20 DVD you can purchase footage of my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at: www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel? Are you saving any gas for your kids?

Re: Ford Focus EV Conversion

Mike Chancey
My only concern would be how computer integrated it is.  Many newer
cars use the computer as part of the speedometer/odometer drive and
that makes a conversion difficult.

Thanks,

Mike Chancey,
'88 Civic EV
Kansas City, Missouri
EV Photo Album at: http://evalbum.com
My Electric Car at: http://www.geocities.com/electric_honda
Mid-America EAA chapter at: http://maeaa.org
Join the EV List at: http://www.madkatz.com/ev/evlist.html

In medio stat virtus - Virtue is in the moderate, not the extreme
position. (Horace)

Re: Ford Focus EV Conversion

Tom Jones-5
It turns out you can't find the GVWR on the Ford web site. So, since my son
has a 2005 I took a look. GVWR is listed at 3715 lbs. The total for
occupants plus luggage is 827 lbs.

What is a good rule of thumb regarding gross weight? Is it that the
conversion, plus passengers, should not exceed GVWR? Or, should the finished
weight be GVWR - 827?

Re: Ford Focus EV Conversion

Tom Jones-5
The issue of the car's computer is very interesting. If the engine
controller is integrated into a "car computer", that might be very
complicated. But, if the engine controller is a separate module then it
might be able to give the computer some inputs that would make it happy.

So, I have more homework to do.

Re: Ford Focus EV Conversion

Timothy Balcer
On 8/12/07, Tom Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The issue of the car's computer is very interesting. If the engine
> controller is integrated into a "car computer", that might be very
> complicated. But, if the engine controller is a separate module then it
> might be able to give the computer some inputs that would make it happy.
>
> So, I have more homework to do.

Well you could, of course, replace ALL the gauges with aftermarket
ones that are designed to work without a central computer.

:)

3715 lbs GVWR? It must have a curb weight of around 2800 then...