Ford Ranger EV

 Not all were destroyed. Ed Thorpe in Alameda,CA has one. I bet if you search the EV photo album you will come up with many. Lawrence Rhodes

production gen1 e-truck: Ford Ranger EV

Lawrence is right,
 several listed on evalbum.com are the FMC production Ranger EVs

https://www.google.com/search?q="evalbum.com"+Ford+Ranger
 Ford Ranger EVs
https://www.google.com/search?site=evalbum.com&q=ford+electric+ranger

EV-history: I was at the SoCal (aqmd.gov) air quality management district's
office when they
were holding the 2nd EV workshop (the one for NorCal in Sacramento-CA had
already been
completed, and months later, this one was being held for S.CA in Diamond
Bar).

It began well enough, but when it was GM's turn to speak at the podium
(lights, camera, action)
the red-faced, &sweaty (like he had been drinking all night) GM Mgr, said
they were not going to
make EVs any longer. When stopped from leaving, cornered by the board, the
Mgr said, 'well then
we'll just sell golf-carts'.

They (the automakers' lawyers) had found a loophole. GM proceeded to
basically give-away
nEVs and chargers to educational institutions for EV credits. GM also ended
their EV1 leasing
program, and all EV1's returned on lease were crushed and mechanically
chewed up into bits.

Honda did the same for their wonderful EV-plus (EV+), with a few first
repurposed into HMC's
fcv R&D program, then later crushed and also torn into bits.

Ford was thinking of doing the same, when a couple of EVangels chained
themselves to a pole
at a Sacramento Ford dealership, to bring -pr- attention to what automakers
were doing (they
had lied about making EVs available for the public to get).

FMC decided to offer their production Ranger EVs for-sale to people who were
previous lessees.
So, those production Ranger EVs Lawrence was speaking of, are from those
sales.

Toyota did a bait and switch at that time. TMC put their RAV4-EV up for
sale, and within a couple
of days, ended those sales. But the EV1-Club members were right on top of
it, and grabbed/nabbed
many RAV4-EVs before TMC could stop the sales.

Oddly, while there were soon no production EVs to be had by the public, the
former generation EVSE
(Avcon, spi) were still being installed. Which was a truly ridiculous waste
for (CA-DMV fee/tax) dollars.
A right minded host wanting to promote EVs had to install both a conductive
Avcon, and an inductive
spi, even though no EVs were being produced.

GM's spi became the same as the way a cuckoo bird lays its egg in another
bird nest. The cuckoo chick kicks out the other bird's chick, etc. GM was
practically giving away its expensive spi EVSE. This not only wasted a
parking spot (lots of ice-complaints), because it went unused, those spots
became iced, which hurt the EV-cause (public thought EVs were a failure when
they weren't).

Sidebar: while some feel the next gen EVSE j1772 is not all that great, at
least it was a simple matter
to yank all the unused Avcon & spi EVSE, as j1772 EVSE use the exact same
power (L2= 240-208 @40Amps). Money was also saved because the wiring,
conduit digging, and signage had already
been done.

Re: Ford Ranger EV

Will be showing it this Sat at Berkeley's drive electric event. Three years
driving strong on a lithium (enerdel) pack. 70-80 mpc range. Love it.

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019, 11:29 AM Lawrence Rhodes via EV <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>  Not all were destroyed. Ed Thorpe in Alameda,CA has one. I bet if you
> search the EV photo album you will come up with many. Lawrence Rhodes

199x production: Ford Ranger EV

Ed sez:
>Will be showing it this Sat at Berkeley's drive electric event. Three years
driving strong on a lithium (enerdel) pack. 70-80 mpc range. Love it. <

I'm glad Ed is able to keep that 1990's vintage EV alive.
That's a glint of the difference between the SF-bay area ndew EVents where
every type
(old &new) EVs are shown, compared to here in San_Antonio-TX (sa) where the
ndew EVs
are almost all newer production EVs

(next Sat 9/14 I'll be at the Austin ndew with 51 plugins registered to
attend
https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=2009

 and the following Sat 9/21 I'll be at sa's ndew with 40 plugins registered
to attend
https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=1766
).

EV-history: Back in the 1990's the automakers gathered to decide what EV
type
each were to make (so they would not conflict with each other's marketing).
Chrysler chose an e-van. Ford chose their lower cost light truck to base
theirs
on. Other automakers chose other vehicle types.

Paper-print pr had FMC stating their EV marketing would be for fleets (as in
for businesses, government agencies, and as park maintenance vehicles).
Later, that changed to where some private individuals could lease and later
buy the Ford Ranger-EV.

Ford's design was quite different than say the RAV4-EV. Look at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ranger_EV#Driveline
 Ed's li-ion pack range is only a little larger than the original NiMH pack.

https://a57.foxnews.com/static.foxnews.com/foxnews.com/content/uploads/2019/01/1862/1048/ranger-ev-ex.jpg?ve=1&tl=1
Ford's transaxle direct drive using a siemens AC e-motor, was by design able
to drive at highway speeds, but that was not its main decided use (see page
13 of85).
https://avt.inl.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/fsev/ranger_nimh_report.pdf

I remember transcribing many a paper pr blurb back then, to post on the
evdl,
stating a city_park.us had acquired a Ford Ranger-EV to be used for
maintenance
work. The Ford Ranger EV was not designed to compete with GM's EV1,
Honda's EV-plus, nor TMC's RAV4-EV(gen1).

Re: 199x production: Ford Ranger EV

My daily driver is a "factory" converted US Electricar, built in 1994
from an S10 longbed glider. Over 100 were built and several still on
the road.
I also have a 2002 Rav4 EV with tired NiMH pack, so am working with
local EV'ers to find a way to convert to Lithium. Problem is the odd
shaped pack outline, which is made from Fiberglass and the option to
convert to Lithium (Leaf batteries) requires either to increase the
volume of the box slightly to fit a dual string of Leaf batteries (at
lower operating voltage) or be satisfied with a single string, which
severely eats into the range of the vehicle...
Anybody here has done such a conversion?
Cor.

On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 10:51 AM brucedp5 via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ed sez:
> >Will be showing it this Sat at Berkeley's drive electric event. Three years
> driving strong on a lithium (enerdel) pack. 70-80 mpc range. Love it. <
>
> I'm glad Ed is able to keep that 1990's vintage EV alive.
> That's a glint of the difference between the SF-bay area ndew EVents where
> every type
> (old &new) EVs are shown, compared to here in San_Antonio-TX (sa) where the
> ndew EVs
> are almost all newer production EVs
>
> (next Sat 9/14 I'll be at the Austin ndew with 51 plugins registered to
> attend
> https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=2009
>
>  and the following Sat 9/21 I'll be at sa's ndew with 40 plugins registered
> to attend
> https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=1766
> ).
>
> EV-history: Back in the 1990's the automakers gathered to decide what EV
> type
> each were to make (so they would not conflict with each other's marketing).
> Chrysler chose an e-van. Ford chose their lower cost light truck to base
> theirs
> on. Other automakers chose other vehicle types.
>
> Paper-print pr had FMC stating their EV marketing would be for fleets (as in
> for businesses, government agencies, and as park maintenance vehicles).
> Later, that changed to where some private individuals could lease and later
> buy the Ford Ranger-EV.
>
> Ford's design was quite different than say the RAV4-EV. Look at
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ranger_EV#Driveline
>  Ed's li-ion pack range is only a little larger than the original NiMH pack.
>
> https://a57.foxnews.com/static.foxnews.com/foxnews.com/content/uploads/2019/01/1862/1048/ranger-ev-ex.jpg?ve=1&tl=1
> Ford's transaxle direct drive using a siemens AC e-motor, was by design able
> to drive at highway speeds, but that was not its main decided use (see page
> 13 of85).
> https://avt.inl.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/fsev/ranger_nimh_report.pdf
>
> I remember transcribing many a paper pr blurb back then, to post on the
> evdl,
> stating a city_park.us had acquired a Ford Ranger-EV to be used for
> maintenance
> work. The Ford Ranger EV was not designed to compete with GM's EV1,
> Honda's EV-plus, nor TMC's RAV4-EV(gen1).
>

> For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
>  http://evdl.org/archive/
>

> {brucedp.neocities.org}

Re: 199x production: Ford Ranger EV

This would have been illegal, of course. Do you have any evidence of this?

- Mark

Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone

> On Sep 11, 2019, at 10:51 AM, brucedp5 via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> EV-history: Back in the 1990's the automakers gathered to decide what EV
> type
> each were to make (so they would not conflict with each other's marketing).

Re: 199x production: Ford Ranger EV

I read an article a while back that Toyota and Tesla were going to team up and resurrect the RAV4 EV with Tesla batteries. Maybe you could find some info on that.

    On Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 1:13:36 PM CDT, Cor van de Water via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ranger_EV#Driveline
>  Ed's li-ion pack range is only a little larger than the original NiMH pack.
>
> https://a57.foxnews.com/static.foxnews.com/foxnews.com/content/uploads/2019/01/1862/1048/ranger-ev-ex.jpg?ve=1&tl=1
> Ford's transaxle direct drive using a siemens AC e-motor, was by design able
> to drive at highway speeds, but that was not its main decided use (see page
> 13 of85).
> https://avt.inl.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/fsev/ranger_nimh_report.pdf
>
> I remember transcribing many a paper pr blurb back then, to post on the
> evdl,
> stating a city_park.us had acquired a Ford Ranger-EV to be used for
> maintenance
> work. The Ford Ranger EV was not designed to compete with GM's EV1,
> Honda's EV-plus, nor TMC's RAV4-EV(gen1).

Paul,
I have actually been in the new RAV EV with Tesla drive train, but it is an
entirely different model vehicle.
Cor.

On 11 Sep 2019 at 20:08, paul dove via EV wrote:

> I read an article a while back that Toyota and Tesla were going to team up and
> resurrect the RAV4 EV with Tesla batteries. Maybe you could find some info on
> that.

Is this a new effort, or are you thinking of the brief partnership between
Toyota and Tesla a few years ago?  They sold a second generation RAV4-EV
from 2012 to 2014.  It was complete Tesla batteries and drivetrains
installed in RAV4s.

This is discussed a little in the RAV4-EV Wikipedia article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_RAV4_EV

Also, going back to the original subject, there were two production Ranger
EVs.  The first one was done by a "Ford qualified upfitter" on gliders
supplied by Ford.  I think that was the one that used the Siemens drive, but
I'm not sure any more; it's been a while and I didn't pay that much
attention.  :-(

The second one, years later, was an in-house Ford project.

At least one of these used oddball 8 volt lead batteries.  IIRC, they were
custom designed by East Penn.  Olaf Bleck bought a bunch of them surplus,
and won the 2001 and 2002 Tours de Sol by using them in a range extending
trailer

Re: 199x production: Ford Ranger EV

Benjamin Nelson has one

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmHss3DBZUinic8TbuaNqRsyZnxhM0svj

On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 at 19:26, EVDL Administrator via EV
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11 Sep 2019 at 20:08, paul dove via EV wrote:
>
> > I read an article a while back that Toyota and Tesla were going to team up and
> > resurrect the RAV4 EV with Tesla batteries. Maybe you could find some info on
> > that.
>
> Is this a new effort, or are you thinking of the brief partnership between
> Toyota and Tesla a few years ago?  They sold a second generation RAV4-EV
> from 2012 to 2014.  It was complete Tesla batteries and drivetrains
> installed in RAV4s.
>
> This is discussed a little in the RAV4-EV Wikipedia article.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_RAV4_EV
>
> Also, going back to the original subject, there were two production Ranger
> EVs.  The first one was done by a "Ford qualified upfitter" on gliders
> supplied by Ford.  I think that was the one that used the Siemens drive, but
> I'm not sure any more; it's been a while and I didn't pay that much
> attention.  :-(
>
> The second one, years later, was an in-house Ford project.
>
> At least one of these used oddball 8 volt lead batteries.  IIRC, they were
> custom designed by East Penn.  Olaf Bleck bought a bunch of them surplus,
> and won the 2001 and 2002 Tours de Sol by using them in a range extending
> trailer
>
> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EVDL Administrator

Paul Compton