Ford Ranger conversion??

Roger Daisley
I can get a 1992 Ford 1992 Supercab pickup for a very reasonable price. Does
anyone have an opinion concerning the conversion prospects for this vehicle?
Any input appreciated. (I just finished my '86 VW Cabriolet conversion and
would like to do a pickup next.)
Roger Daisley
Pullman, WA

Re: Ford Ranger conversion??

damon henry

The Ford Rangers are less popular because the frame rails are so close together.  It makes it hard to fit the batteries under the bed.  There are still plenty that have been converted however.  S10 pickups are a lot more popular because there is a lot more accessible battery space under the bed.  In fact the S10 is popular enough that you can easily find custom parts like battery racks and adapter plates.

Personally I am going a bit more vintage and doing a 1970 Datsun truck.

Any of these trucks can be found at very reasonable prices.  Just follow your local Craigs List for a few weeks and you will find many acceptable donor vehicles.

damon> From: [hidden email]> anyone have an opinion concerning the conversion prospects for this vehicle?> Any input appreciated.

Re: Ford Ranger conversion??

Zeke Yewdall
yeah, I like the vintage ones too -- my conversion is a '74 ford
courier.  But, I've seen a few later model ford rangers converted --
seem to be good enough trucks for it.  The transmissions in the early
90's V6 rangers and explorers didn't seem to be very good, especially
the auto trannies, but I've heard of even the manual trannies going
out at under 100k miles sometimes.  Might want to look into this and
consider swapping in a later model transmission.