Forget to charge your EV often? come to our automatic car-charging scheduling app

Forget to charge your EV often? come to our automatic car-charging scheduling app

Cassie Han
Dear friends,

We are currently developing an application that offer automatic car charging scheduling service. For example, you can set the charging mode to be "charge when the price is cheapest","fully charged before tomorrow 7am",etc. All you need to do is just plug into the charger when you leave the car and our application will help you connect to the charger at a certain time according to your schedule.

On top of that, our app also includes monitoring of household electricity consumption, solar panel electricity generation and insights to your energy usage with personalized suggestions to save energy in your daily life.

Please feel free to discuss your thoughts here and contact me if you're interested.

Also, I'd like to invite you to help us fulfilling this questionnaire about our app design.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFJqd1ExcDd0cHR5TUp6ZVc2cFpPVmc6MA

Thank you in advance!!

Re: Forget to charge your EV often? come to our automatic car-charging scheduling app

Peri Hartman
Cassie,

I'm interested in more about what you are proposing.  Is this supposed to be
something that works with existing charge stations or is it simply a
reminder app and you still, personally, need to go plug in at the right time
- the wording is unclear to me.  Some more description of your proposal
would help get the discussion going.

Also, I looked at your survey but was immediately blocked because I chose
not to enter my income level.  I suggest that you modify the survey and make
age and income optional.

Thanks.
Peri

Re: Forget to charge your EV often? come to our automatic car-charging scheduling app

Peri Hartman
I guess I could be more specific, too.  I'm wondering if your app will
somehow work with existing charge stations.  For example, I have a blink
system, which has no options for setting charge time and percent of charge.
Will your software somehow integrate with Blink?

My EV is a Leaf, which does have an onboard control for setting charge time
and percent.  However it is too time consuming to use so I never use it.
More specifically, if I set it up to charge at, say, 10pm, and I need a
charge during the day, I have to go disable the setting or it will not
charge during the day.  Then, later, I have to restore the setting.  All of
these take a number of steps and are error prone in that it's easy to put in
a wrong time, etc.

What would be preferable to me is to have this level of control external to
the EV.  If the ESVE has a way to set a specific charge time (or an optimal
charge time, as you propose), I just want a simple (i.e. one tap) UI to
override and start charging now.  Also a simple UI to set level of charge
(which the Leaf does not allow for immediate charging).

Peri

No, it can control the connection with the charger automatically. So you just plug into the charger, but it's not charging yet. The app will control to begin charging. To be more specifically, you just plug into the charger physically when you arrive at home and leave your car. And when the time comes to the one you set or when the electricity is cheaper,the app will control the car to connect internally and truly begin charging.

Re: Forget to charge your EV often? come to our automatic car-charging scheduling app

Cassie Han
Currently we can only achieve to control the beginning of the changing. Not able to control the percentage yet because that requires information from the car, thus needs some interface with the car. For now, our interface is mainly at the charger so that the app can choose and control when to connect.
But we are trying on that direction and I hope in the near future we will figure out a way to set how many percentage we want to charge.

Thank you for your interest!

Re: Forget to charge your EV often? come to our automaticcar-charging scheduling app

Peri,
One word: Pool-timer.
costs about $20

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203

Re: Forget to charge your EV often? come to our automaticcar-charging scheduling app

EV professor
LOL, I, for one, never buy "APS" and my phone is dumb, But, I am reasonably
smart so I don't need a smart phone or a timer app.  I always plug-in my EV
to the batteries, recharged by the Solar PV panels, and they are always
charged fully by morning.  I set my neighbor up with a pool timer last year
and a air conditioner contactor  applies power to his car's charger and a
light in his inside hall warns him if the car is not connected.

*Dennis Lee Miles *

*Director   **E.V.T.I. Inc.*

*E-Mail:*  *[hidden email]* <[hidden email]>

   *Phone #* *(863) 944-9913*

Dade City, Florida 33523

 USA

Cassie Han
I like your idea when you helped your neighbor. Especially the inside hall light, which could be quite significant as a notification. What we do now is just a notification through mobile app.

Re: Forget to charge your EV often? come to ourautomaticcar-charging scheduling app

Peri Hartman
That's a very good idea.  I did a little searching and it would take some
time to find the right product - outdoor, 220V, 40A, "start now" button.  I
found one with all but the "start now" for $40.  Pretty close!

Peri

Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203

Re: Forget to charge your EV often? come to our automatic car-charging scheduling app

tomw
It seems smart appliances with communications are required to determine usage, so an upgrade of all household appliances, as well as the on-board ev charger (and possibly EVSE) would be required.  It is unclear what part of this hardware you would supply, or whether you would just record total household usage.

I would love to see all this data, but then I have a feeling that after studying it for a few months I would see that it follows a repetitive boring pattern, and I would stop looking at it.  I think that comparing data to others would be valuable for those who have not put much thought into how to save energy, depending on their attitude, but I also think that many members of this list have already thought quite a lot about that and would find few if any gains.  Though I am not into social networks, I think comparing data there could provide a lot of motivation for those that are, and likely be the most valuable part of such a system, so I am happy to see something like this being developed.  It seems a potentially powerful vehicle for helping change attitudes.

Re: Forget to charge your EV often? come to ourautomaticcar-charging scheduling app

tomw
This post was updated on .
Perry, I think that is about what I paid for my Intermatic "hot tub timer" at Ace Hardware several years ago like this one at Zoro:
http://www.zoro.com/g/00055229/k-G2848361?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kpid=G2848361&gclid=CMCrhviNlb4CFQqIfgod2zYASw

In the photo you can see it has two screws with knurled knobs that you position on a dial to set the on/off times, so fairly easy to reset, and there is a switch to manually operate the relay to connect power (sticking down below the dial at about 4:00).  Just flip it to "on" if you need to charge outside the normal time you have set.  I generally leave it set to connect power at 12:00 at night and turn off at 4:00 am.

Re: Forget to charge your EV often? come to our automatic car-charging scheduling app

Cassie Han
Thanks for your thoughts about it. You consideration about getting bored by those data definitely requires our attention. And like you mentioned, comparison within the community or social network can be a powerful motivation to engage people.

As to the consumption data, We were thinking about getting info from all the appliances and develop functionality like notifying user "you forget to turn off your lamp" and so on. But as you said, that needs upgrade of the appliances or adding a smart plug for each appliance so that you can control them. At last we decide not to implement those part for now.

So what we are doing currently is just a smart energy management box that can collect infomation about the generation of the solar panel and usage of the whole household, in which we can show the consumption of the EV by connecting to the charger. We could also divide the usage further into groups except for just EV cars, which requires not much hardware installation, but we doubt whether it's useful and desirable for the users.

Re: Forget to charge your EV often? come to our automatic car-charging scheduling app

Cor van de Water
I believe Google tried to split usage out by breaker,
but you had to add a current sensor to every breaker wire that
you wanted to monitor. It didn't fly.

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Email: [hidden email] Private: http://www.cvandewater.info
Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626

Re: Forget to charge your EV often? come to our automaticcar-charging scheduling app

Mike Nickerson
Funny story.

After going to time of day metering, I was looking for a way to charge my EV at 9:00 pm.  I was talking to my wife about pool timers and similar solutions.  She rolled her eyes and said:  "Why don't you just set an alarm on your phone to plug in your car?"

Since then, my phone vibrates at 9:00 and I go plug in my car.  It has worked for more than a year.

I don't have an EVSE (only outlet and plug), and my EV is dumb, so any timed start has to come from elsewhere.

Mike

On May 5, 2014 2:10:40 AM MDT, Cor van de Water <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Peri,
>One word: Pool-timer.
>costs about $20
>
>Cor van de Water
>Chief Scientist
>Proxim Wireless Corporation http://www.proxim.com
>Email: [hidden email]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
>Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
>Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203

Re: Forget to charge your EV often? come toour automaticcar-charging scheduling app

Cor van de Water
Reminds me of the (true!) story about the lady who could not figure out the
VCR programming, so she set her alarm clock for 2:55 AM to get up and
push "record" on the VCR so she could watch the 3 AM program the next day...

My previous EV was also dumb and I was also on ToU metering, so I needed
a way to start at 12 AM and stop by 7 AM (the cheap period).
I picked up a second hand pool time for free (one of the local recycling lists)
so I typically used that to run my charger from 12 to 7AM and if needed,
I could override the clock as well and charge whenever necessary, since
a pool timer has a handy override switch on the side.