Frames and Chassis

Fred Artus
I am thinking about building a light weight electric vehicle.
One of the first questions that comes to mind relates to Frames and Chassis.
I have not yet contacted my states motor vehicle Department to determine the related requirements.
Has anyone out there gone down that path and willing to tell about their experience?
Also, if the custom chassis is not viable what light weight vehicles are recommended to modify?

Fred Artus

Re: Frames and Chassis

Peter VanDerWal
Lots of folks have built customer vehicles, electric or otherwise.

However, just about every state has different requirements.  It might help
if you told us which state you live in.
Also, tell us a little about your idea.  For starters, how many wheels?
Two, Three, Four, more?  That makes a big difference as well.

> I am thinking about building a light weight electric vehicle.
> One of the first questions that comes to mind relates to Frames and
> Chassis.
> I have not yet contacted my states motor vehicle Department to determine
> the related requirements.
> Has anyone out there gone down that path and willing to tell about their
> experience?
> Also, if the custom chassis is not viable what light weight vehicles are
> recommended to modify?
>

> Fred Artus

wish with the message.  By posting the message you agree that your long
legalistic signature is void.

Re: Frames and Chassis

Hello Fred,

If a conversion is done with a existing chassis, then you license it as it
was license before.  They do not care if what prime mover you have in it
using the existing VIN number.

In some states, if you want to rename your vehicle and change the title to
reflect that change, then the vehicle must be at least have a 50% change.
Sometime a state inspector will come to your home to verify the change. This
is what I did with the 1977 El Camino which was change from 1/2 ton truck
status to a hatch back I install on the back using a Pontiac hatch back
which has a trunk area that is above the carpet floor which is the covers
for the batteries. The name of the EV is now call ELECTRO.

If you build a vehicle from the ground up using custom made parts. Then I
had to present the total cost of the build, which I did with a Manta Mirage
Cam AM Group 7 race car body, custom made frame and suspension systems, that
I design for street use.  The bill of sale and receipts verify that you are
the owner, and than it also has to be inspected and a title is generate for
it.

Now some guys that do a custom build like this, will weld part of a frame
from a existing older car, to show it is 50% or more change, and then
license it for that year car that the frame come from. You then generate a
new VIN number for it.

In some states, if your vehicle is of a certain date, then you can get one
time permanent license plates for it which all my cars have.

> I am thinking about building a light weight electric vehicle.
> One of the first questions that comes to mind relates to Frames and
> Chassis.
> I have not yet contacted my states motor vehicle Department to determine
> the related requirements.
> Has anyone out there gone down that path and willing to tell about their
> experience?
> Also, if the custom chassis is not viable what light weight vehicles are
> recommended to modify?
>

> Fred Artus

Re: Frames and Chassis

Fred Artus

I'm in Maine and am thinking about a light four wheel EV.

Fred Artus

Re: Frames and Chassis

Bob Bath
I'm partial to Gen. 5 (92-95) Civics.  Many have been
done.  Follow the link to my online journal.
peace,

--- Fred Artus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm in Maine and am thinking about a light four
> wheel EV.
>
> Fred Artus

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  For $20 DVD you can purchase footage of my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at: www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel? Are you saving any gas for your kids?

Re: Frames and Chassis

mperry
Fred: How light and which state do you live in? DMV requirements vary
widely, state to state.

The Feds have their requirements for manufacturers, but these don't force
a state to allow any given vehicle on the road. (Despite many postings on
the I-net to the contrary.) For this reason, it will be a good idea to get
an idea of how fast you want the vehicle to go, an idea on the number of
wheels required, and about how big (heavy) you wish it to be... then check
your local state laws. For instance, my "small" projects were scooters and
bikes. (Each has its own speed maximum and require no licensing or
insurance.) Going a bit larger, a 3 wheel machine qualifies as a MC (in
all but one or two states) if it meets certain specs of that state.
Titling a custom build MC is usually easier than that of a car, in most
areas. Or, if you prefer 4 wheels, and speeds greater than 30MPH,
converting an old auto is often easier to title than a scratch built
vehicle.

As for ease of building, you can purchase bicycle conversions in a kit
form. If you are looking for something a bit faster, you might check out
the BugE, http://blueskydsn.com/BugE_Concept.html. Granted, it's probably
more than you had in mind to spend, but the design is professional and
licensing passed in some states. Naturally, if you build your own, it can
be difficult to get it past the DMV, especially if you get a stubborn (or
ignorant) licensing person.

On Fri, September 21, 2007 4:26 pm, Fred Artus wrote:
> I am thinking about building a light weight electric vehicle.
> One of the first questions that comes to mind relates to Frames and
> Chassis.
> I have not yet contacted my states motor vehicle Department to determine
> the related requirements. Has anyone out there gone down that path and
> willing to tell about their experience? Also, if the custom chassis is not
> viable what light weight vehicles are recommended to modify?
>
> Fred Artus

Re: Frames and Chassis

Timothy Balcer
Fred,

Building a car from scratch is a lot of effort. That being said, I'm
sure it can be rewarding :)

Most of the light EVs are being done in 3 wheels, due to lower
restrictions on Motorcycles in most states. You may want to consider
changing your plans.

Look around online for plans built light EVs. I like R Q Riley's XR3 meself,

http://www.rqriley.com/

It has an EV option in the plans, FYI.

There are more!

That being said, it is considerably less effort to do a conversion, if
you want something more quickly.

Good luck!
On 9/21/07, Fred Artus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm in Maine and am thinking about a light four wheel EV.
>
> Fred Artus

Re: Frames and Chassis

Lee Hart
Timothy Balcer wrote:
> Building a car from scratch is a lot of effort. That being said, I'm
> sure it can be rewarding! :-) Look around online for plans to build
> light EVs. I like R.Q. Riley's XR3 meself,
>
> http://www.rqriley.com/
>
> It has an EV option in the plans, FYI.

While the R.Q. Riley vehicles are simple, they are also very tedious to
build. Out of perhaps 40,000 sets of plans sold, very few cars have ever
been finished. You may want to talk to Jerry Dycus <[hidden email]> for
ideas on techniques that are far less labor-intensive.

--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget the perfect offering

Re: Frames and Chassis

FRED JEANETTE MERTENS
I read on ac propulsions web site that they started with a kit car and then modified it into the t-zero  this gave me a good deal of comfort as I chose a Bradley gte and am doing a lot of changes and the end result will look kinda like a Bradley but it will be my build .  I suggest you learn from ac propulsion and look around for kit cars that the major components are there you build to suit .
  > Building a car from scratch is a lot of effort. That being said, I'm
  > sure it can be rewarding! :-) Look around online for plans to build
  > light EVs. I like R.Q. Riley's XR3 meself,
  >
  > http://www.rqriley.com/<http://www.rqriley.com/>
  >
  > It has an EV option in the plans, FYI.

  While the R.Q. Riley vehicles are simple, they are also very tedious to
  build. Out of perhaps 40,000 sets of plans sold, very few cars have ever
  been finished. You may want to talk to Jerry Dycus <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> for