Fwd: Re: [seva] Siemens Plans to Clean Up Trucking With a Trolley Line

Fwd: Re: [seva] Siemens Plans to Clean Up Trucking With a Trolley Line

Steven Lough
  Morning Boys:

At the Siemens booth at EVS-26, they had a BIG WALL TV screen showing
actual trucks doing this...  Not a digital cartoon.

I took a video OF the video, and was planning to put it up on youtube
for you all...

But you folks BEAT me to it...

  To me it was one of the most meaningful ideas at the Show.  This system is
especially meaningful for those big truck routs of 3 to 8 miles from the
Ports, to the Rail Heads for Containers.

On 5/10/12 10:08 AM, Mark Yormark wrote:

> Dave B...see below..lol
>
> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Roger Swearingen
>

>     Plans are being made to do a proof-of-concept test on Siemens’
>     eHighway of the Future along one of the filthiest sections of
>     freeway in the Los Angeles basin.
>
>     The proposal is to build overhead electrified wires along the
>     section of freeway that leads into the ports of Los Angeles and
>     Long Beach, where trucks daily line
>     <http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/will-fleet-sales-be-alternative-energy-vehicles-bridge-to-market-viability/>
>     up bumper-to-bumper for miles, waiting to load and unload, all the
>     while spewing diesel fumes into the LA air.
>
>     The cost of building the four-mile-long proof-of-concept project,
>     according to an SCAQMD report done in anticipation of the pilot
>     project with Siemens and released in conjunction with the
>     announcement of Siemens’ eHighway concept, is estimated at up to
>     $5 million to $6 million per mile, or as high as $24 million. In
>     contrast, a fixed-rail electric system that would comparably
>     reduce emissions, according to the SCAQMD study, would cost some
>     nineteen times more.
>
>     http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/Siemens-Plans-to-Clean-Up-Trucking-with-a-Trolley-Line/
>

>     ROGER SWEARINGEN**•
>

> Somebody was thinking out of the box.. Conceptually what you have is
> DC Fast Charge powering the vehicle and charging the battery pack and
> then a ICE generator charging the pack when there are no overhead
> wires and the battery pack is below 50% d.o.d.

Steven S Lough
President: Seattle EV Association
206 524 1351
WEB:www.seattleeva.org

EVLN: Siemens eHighway truck uses overhead trolley power lines

brucedp5

Fwd: Re: [seva] Siemens Plans to Clean Up Trucking With a Trolley Line

[unformatted]
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57430211-48/siemens-electrifies-trucks-with-trolley-technology/
[image] Siemens electrifies trucks with trolley technology
by Wayne Cunningham  May 8 2012

[image  (Credit: Siemens)
http://asset1.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/05/08/eHighway02.jpg
Siemens eHighway.  Siemens is testing its eHighway concept on a closed track in Europe.
]

At the Electric Vehicle Symposium in Los Angeles this week, Siemens announced its eHighway concept, which involves trucks powered by electricity from electric lines over the road.

City buses, streetcars, and regional rail lines all over the world run on electricity, garnered from overhead lines. Now Siemens wants to apply the same technology to long-haul trucking with its eHighway concept.

Siemens, an industrial and automotive supplier, contends that the majority of vehicle pollution comes from big diesel trucks transporting goods over many freeway and highway miles. Its eHighway would eliminate tailpipe pollution from these trucks for the majority of those miles.

On a test track in Europe, Siemens has been running trucks using its diesel-hybrid drive technology. Conductors on top of the trucks make contact with overhead electric lines. This electricity powers the trucks' electric drive motors, letting the diesel engines shut down. When the trucks leave the lanes with overhead wires, the diesel engine starts up.

In videos released demonstrating the concept, the conductors on top of the trucks rise or retract at the push of a button from the driver. A power control unit in the trucks senses when it is receiving electricity from the overhead lines, and shuts off the diesel engine.

The eHighway concept would designate a single lane of a freeway or highway for the overhead electrical lines. A truck equipped with the conductor and an appropriate electric drive system could move into the lane once it is on the highway, deploy the conductor, and drive without using a drop of diesel for many miles. Trucks could also leave the lane to pass slower traffic, and move back into the lane when it is clear. Once in the city where a delivery is to be made, the truck would switch back to diesel for the last miles.

Although it has been testing the system with its own diesel-hybrid drive systems, Siemens says the eHighway concept could work with any sort of hybrid or range-extended electric vehicle.

Merely a concept now, the system relies on existing technology. It would primarily take infrastructure investment to make it a reality. Pilot projects are planned for the Port of Los Angeles, and Long Beach, Calif.

[video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fp6yKsQxrHQ
Siemens electric vehicles: 'eHighway Of The Future' Concept
May 8, 2012 by eastwindmagazine
The eHighway concept is the electrification of trucks and select highway lanes via overhead electrified wires similar to how modern day trolleys or streetcars are powered on many city streets.

The concept and project was unveiled today at the 26th Annual Electric Vehicle Symposium in Los Angeles.
]
[© 2012 CBS Interactive  All rights reserved]

http://www.cnet.com.au/siemens-develops-hybrid-truck-that-utilises-tram-wiring-339337517.htm
[video] Siemens develops hybrid truck that utilises tram wiring
By Wayne Cunningham  May 9 2012

At the Electric Vehicle Symposium in Los Angeles this week, Siemens announced its eHighway concept, which involves trucks powered by electricity from electric lines over the road.

Trams, rail lines and buses all over the world run on electricity garnered from overhead lines. Now, Siemens wants to apply the same technology to long-haul trucking with its eHighway concept.

Siemens, an industrial and automotive supplier, contends that the majority of vehicle pollution comes from big, diesel trucks transporting goods over highways and into cities. Its eHighway would eliminate tailpipe pollution from these trucks for the majority of those kilometres.

On a test track in Europe, Siemens has been running trucks using its diesel-hybrid drive technology. Conductors on top of the trucks make contact with overhead electric lines. This electricity powers the trucks' electric drive motors, letting the diesel engines shut down. When the trucks leave the lanes with overhead wires, the diesel engine starts up.

In videos released demonstrating the concept, the conductors on top of the trucks rise or retract at the push of a button from the driver. A power control unit in the trucks senses when it is receiving electricity from the overhead lines, and shuts off the diesel engine.

The eHighway concept would designate a single lane of a freeway or highway for the overhead electrical lines. A truck equipped with the conductor and an appropriate electric drive system could move into the lane once it is on the highway, deploy the conductor and drive without using a drop of diesel for many a kilometre. Trucks could also leave the lane to pass slower traffic, and move back into the lane when it is clear. Once in the city where a delivery is to be made, the truck would switch back to diesel.

Although it has been testing the system with its own diesel-hybrid drive systems, Siemens says the eHighway concept could work with any sort of hybrid or range-extended electric vehicle.

Merely a concept now, the system relies on existing technology. It would primarily take infrastructure investment to make it a reality. Pilot projects are planned for the Port of Los Angeles and Long Beach, both in California, US.
Via CNET  [© 2012 CBS Interactive  All rights reserved]

http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=413529&query=evln&sort=date
All EVLN posts

{brucedp.150m.com}

Re: Fwd: Re: [seva] Siemens Plans to Clean Up Trucking With a Trolley Line

martinwinlow
Well, it's something... but why not use the opportunity to try out an induction based system?  All EV's - rather than just ones big enough to mount a pantograph (pickup) on could benefit and it wouldn't look so pig-ugly nor necessarily cost much more.  The amount of power required for the trucks would not be high if they are just stuck in queues...

Regards, Martin Winlow
Herts, UK
http://www.evalbum.com/2092
www.winlow.co.uk