G20 as a donor?

Marion Hakanson-2
Greetings,

New list member here;  Hi to other Portland, OR area folks.  I got to
see some of you at the Wayland Invitational Saturday night, and also at
the Saturday morning gathering at the restaurant.  My whole family
enjoyed both events, well done.

Very brief background:  I learned to drive during the first gas "crisis"
of the 1970's, and I seriously thought that my first new car (1980 Dodge
Colt) would be the last petroleum-fueled car I would have to own.  Oops....

Now that one can finally buy an electric car, I find I could not afford
one;  Well, not a new one anyway, but the last new vehicle I bought was
a 1989 Mazda, so "used" is not a new situation for me.  Given all that,
I'd like to hear your (experienced converters') thoughts on my 1993
Infiniti G20 as a donor.  Specs claim about 2750lb curb weight, and mine
does have the proper (manual) transmission.

Any advice/guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Marion

Re: G20 as a donor?

Steve Kobb
Hi, Marion --

I don't live in Oregon, but I have converted a vehicle (a Chevy S-10), and both my wife and I also have G20's.

Yes, I think that car might be a good candidate for conversion. The success of your project would depend a little on what kind of batteries you'll go with... and how many.

For example, I've got 26 6volt batteries in my truck, but that would be way too heavy for the G20.

If you go with lead, you could probably find space for 13 12v batts, totalling 156v.

You might have to supplement the suspension with an extra leaf, coil-over shocks, air bags, or something similar.

Good luck!

Steve Kobb

Re: G20 as a donor?

Hi Marion,

I checked the EV Album and there are no "Infinity" entries,
so at least there is nobody that has converted an Infinity
and can report on the experience that we know...
On the other hand, there have been a lot of "different" cars
converted in recent years, either because the owners wanted
a new car instead of the well-known Porsche or Golf (Rabbit).
Pretty nice cars such as high end BMW have been converted,
so why not an Infinity?
The usual questions are - can you get spare parts for a
long time (assuming you will want to keep it a while) and
is it in good shape (except its engine maybe?) and did you
check that there is room for all your conversion stuff?
(Also room in the GVWR for the added batteries?)

If you have not, you might want to read one of the conversion
books as they have questions for you to consider that you
would not think of immediately, but help you to avoid choices
that are going to make things more difficult than necessary.

I had bought a BMW 325i with a bad engine specifically to use
as a donor, but after a $70 head gasket fixed the engine and
I could buy an EV with an electrical problem and only in need
of a new pack to make a fine daily driver, I reconsidered and
sold the Bimmer as is.

BTW, you are not family of Eva, Bill Dube's wife? I think you
spell her last name with double s. She is chief of Killacycle
racing. I expect that your roots are also in Sweden?

Director HW & Systems Architecture Group
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [hidden email]
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203 XoIP: +31877841130

Re: G20 as a donor?

Thos True
Marion,
I agree that it was a great show this year, and that major kudos need to go
out to John and Marissa for hosting the event.
I see some good news in your prospective choice of a conversion. The
Infinity is Nissan's luxury line of vehicles (great creature comforts!), so
take a look at the Nissan conversions, such as the 300Z series. It may be
new enough that it will have some computer connection (ECM) issues, but not
as troublesome as most of the newer cars.
I recommend doing some research on the series of the motor to see if there
is an existing adaptor plate available, then do the necessary calculations
to determine which motor/voltage combination that you will need in order to
satisfy your speed and range choices.
Good luck and happy converting! -Tom

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 10:54 PM, Marion Hakanson
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> New list member here;  Hi to other Portland, OR area folks.  I got to
> see some of you at the Wayland Invitational Saturday night, and also at
> the Saturday morning gathering at the restaurant.  My whole family
> enjoyed both events, well done.
>
> Very brief background:  I learned to drive during the first gas "crisis"
> of the 1970's, and I seriously thought that my first new car (1980 Dodge
> Colt) would be the last petroleum-fueled car I would have to own.  Oops....
>
> Now that one can finally buy an electric car, I find I could not afford
> one;  Well, not a new one anyway, but the last new vehicle I bought was
> a 1989 Mazda, so "used" is not a new situation for me.  Given all that,
> I'd like to hear your (experienced converters') thoughts on my 1993
> Infiniti G20 as a donor.  Specs claim about 2750lb curb weight, and mine
> does have the proper (manual) transmission.
>
> Any advice/guidance would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> Marion

Remember, it is not that the glass is half empty, in reality, the glass is
merely twice the size that it needs to be! -TNT'82

Re: G20 as a donor?

Marion Hakanson-2
On 07/26/10 10:22 AM, Cor van de Water wrote:
> Hi Marion,
>
> I checked the EV Album and there are no "Infinity" entries,
> so at least there is nobody that has converted an Infinity
> and can report on the experience that we know...
 > . . .
> The usual questions are - can you get spare parts for a
> long time (assuming you will want to keep it a while) and
> is it in good shape (except its engine maybe?) and did you
> check that there is room for all your conversion stuff?
> (Also room in the GVWR for the added batteries?)

Good advice, thanks.  Parts should not be a problem, I can still buy
from the Infiniti dealer now, if I have enough money (:-).  I also have
picked up parts from a salvage yard recently, and there are lots of
aftermarket parts available since this car and its relatives are popular
with the tuners, kids, etc.

> BTW, you are not family of Eva, Bill Dube's wife? I think you
> spell her last name with double s. She is chief of Killacycle
> racing. I expect that your roots are also in Sweden?

I know of her through the Killacycle site, and her name uses the
authentic Swedish spelling.  It seems unlikely we are related, unless
very distantly.  But yes, my grandfather came to the US in the 1920's,
and we do still have relatives in Sweden, so who knows for sure?

Regards,

Marion

Re: G20 as a donor?

Marion Hakanson-2
On 07/26/10 10:53 AM, Thos True wrote:
> I see some good news in your prospective choice of a conversion. The
> Infinity is Nissan's luxury line of vehicles (great creature comforts!), so
> take a look at the Nissan conversions, such as the 300Z series. It may be
> new enough that it will have some computer connection (ECM) issues, but not
> as troublesome as most of the newer cars.
> I recommend doing some research on the series of the motor to see if there
> is an existing adaptor plate available, then do the necessary calculations
> to determine which motor/voltage combination that you will need in order to
> satisfy your speed and range choices.

Yes, the G20 is what I call my "infinitely expensive Nissan".  Its
2nd(!) timing chain and set of camshafts are not in great shape, at 125k
miles.  The engine has not done well with my short-trip driving
conditions, probably should've doubled or tripled the recommended
oil-change intervals.  On the plus side, it's been fun to drive, never
left me stranded in the 100k miles and 14 years I've owned it, and I've
probably put my mechanics' kids through college as well (:-).

Rather than being related to the 300Z series, the G20 has Nissan's
SR20DE 4-cylinder aluminum engine, which is also available in the Sentra
SE-R, and in the NX2000 models.  I think the manual transaxle should be
pretty strong, because it is also used in some Japan/Europe models with
the turbo version of the same engine (SR20DET, double the G20's
horsepower).  I might have a decent market for my old engine as well,
since it is popular with kids who want to soup-up various Nissan models.
  So yes, I might find that a Sentra adapter plate would fit the G20,
depending on which Sentra engine was used in other conversions.

I have to confess to my not being a good candidate for a do-it-yourself
conversion.  I likely have the skills, but not the tools, space, time,
or energy.  I'm sad to say that, but have to be realistic.  So I'm
really in the process of plotting, budgeting, and hopefully developing
contacts with the people I'll need to depend on to do the heavy lifting.

Anyway, thanks for the helpful information.

Regards,

Marion

Re: G20 as a donor?

EVDL Administrator
On 26 Jul 2010 at 14:02, Marion Hakanson wrote:

> The engine has not done well with my short-trip driving conditions ...

You're a prime candidate for an EV.  Rip that worn-out engine out of there
and drop in a motor!

> It's likely that I have the skills, but not the tools, space, time, or energy.

Errk.  I can sympathize with that.

Shame that we don't have a conversion shop in every major US (or world)
city.  Maybe Randy Holmquist, or someone with an equally well established
conversion business, should license franchises, since that seems to be the
way small business works in the US these days.

Note: mail sent to "evpost" an "etpost" addresses will not

Re: G20 as a donor?

Seth Rothenberg
>>>Specs claim about 2750lb curb weight,
>>>and mine does have the proper (manual)
>>> transmission.

What I ususally do is Google for the car's
year, make, model, and the terms
curb weight or gross vehicle weight GVWR

This came up:
http://www.intellichoice.com/1-11-1993-700-26/1993-infiniti-g20-specs.html

saying GVWR 2877
but it also says 2745 lbs.

Can you check the car?   On US cars,
the GVWR should be found  on the driver's
door post.

So, it seems that there isn't a lot
of extra weight carrying ability.

But you may overcome that with various steps.
(lighten up; add springs; etc.)