GM backs electric scooter but may drop Hummer

GM backs electric scooter but may drop Hummer

Evan Tuer
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/apr/07/gm-segway-electric-scooter-unveiled

[..]
General Motors and Segway unveiled a prototype two-seat electric
scooter today, intended to ease urban congestion and pollution and
help GM recast itself as environmentally progressive and
technologically innovative.

The vehicle, named Puma (for Personal Urban Mobility and
Accessibility), is the product of an unlikely collaboration between an
ailing American industrial behemoth known for manufacturing
gas-guzzlers and a privately held company founded on technological
wizardry.

The companies have no plans as yet to mass produce the vehicle and
offer it for sale, instead characterising today's announcement as a
demonstration of technology.

"It's a directional statement that we're making ... an urban
transportation we need to reinvent how we move people around in cities
and towns," Segway president and chief executive officer, Jim Norrod,
said in an interview.

The announcement comes eight days after President Barack Obama
challenged General Motors and Chrysler to "restructure, to modernise,
and to make themselves more competitive". At the same time, Obama
fired GM's chairman and chief executive, Rick Wagoner, who had failed
to stem a long-term decline in the company's US sales and whom Obama
said lacked vision to take the company forward.
[..]

Re: GM backs electric scooter but may drop Hummer

Martin Klingensmith-3
On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Evan Tuer<[hidden email]> wrote:
> General Motors and Segway unveiled a prototype two-seat electric
> scooter today, intended to ease urban congestion and pollution and
> help GM recast itself as environmentally progressive and
> technologically innovative.

Why does a side-by-side vehicle have to balance? The thing is going to
cost $15000 and they're going to recall them after 2 years because
"nobody wants to buy them."

Would it be too intelligent for GM to make a 3-wheeled electric vehicle?

--
Martin K.

Re: GM backs electric scooter but may drop Hummer

evan foss
I think the objective is to keep the perception of EVs as a joke.

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Martin
Klingensmith<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Evan Tuer<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> General Motors and Segway unveiled a prototype two-seat electric
>> scooter today, intended to ease urban congestion and pollution and
>> help GM recast itself as environmentally progressive and
>> technologically innovative.
>
> Why does a side-by-side vehicle have to balance? The thing is going to
> cost $15000 and they're going to recall them after 2 years because
> "nobody wants to buy them."
>
> Would it be too intelligent for GM to make a 3-wheeled electric vehicle?
>
> --
> Martin K.

http://www.coe.neu.edu/~efoss/
http://evanfoss.googlepages.com/

Re: GM backs electric scooter but may drop Hummer

Jim & Angie
Well, it most definately keeps GM looking that way!

>I think the objective is to keep the perception of EVs as a joke.
>
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Martin
> Klingensmith<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Evan Tuer<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> General Motors and Segway unveiled a prototype two-seat electric
>>> scooter today, intended to ease urban congestion and pollution and
>>> help GM recast itself as environmentally progressive and
>>> technologically innovative.
>>
>> Why does a side-by-side vehicle have to balance? The thing is going to
>> cost $15000 and they're going to recall them after 2 years because
>> "nobody wants to buy them."
>>
>> Would it be too intelligent for GM to make a 3-wheeled electric vehicle?
>>
>> --
>> Martin K.

> http://www.coe.neu.edu/~efoss/
> http://evanfoss.googlepages.com/

Re: GM backs electric scooter but may drop Hummer

lcalarea47
lol   more proto-types [playing politics ]....like show me the money , but
show me the production ie  made and for sale ...lonnie

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 5:57 AM, Evan Tuer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/apr/07/gm-segway-electric-scooter-unveiled
>
> [..]
> General Motors and Segway unveiled a prototype two-seat electric
> scooter today, intended to ease urban congestion and pollution and
> help GM recast itself as environmentally progressive and
> technologically innovative.
>
> The vehicle, named Puma (for Personal Urban Mobility and
> Accessibility), is the product of an unlikely collaboration between an
> ailing American industrial behemoth known for manufacturing
> gas-guzzlers and a privately held company founded on technological
> wizardry.
>
> The companies have no plans as yet to mass produce the vehicle and
> offer it for sale, instead characterising today's announcement as a
> demonstration of technology.
>
> "It's a directional statement that we're making ... an urban
> transportation we need to reinvent how we move people around in cities
> and towns," Segway president and chief executive officer, Jim Norrod,
> said in an interview.
>
> The announcement comes eight days after President Barack Obama
> challenged General Motors and Chrysler to "restructure, to modernise,
> and to make themselves more competitive". At the same time, Obama
> fired GM's chairman and chief executive, Rick Wagoner, who had failed
> to stem a long-term decline in the company's US sales and whom Obama
> said lacked vision to take the company forward.
> [..]

Re: GM backs electric scooter but may drop Hummer

Dave Hymers
Pretty pathetic. Only slightly more pathetic than emerging from bankruptcy
in 40 days and changing your logo color to green.
"look, we're different !"