George Bush father now: Nissan Leaf Compliance car?

George Bush father now: Nissan Leaf Compliance car?

If the Nissan Leaf is a compliance car they sure did fool me. I have had nothing but good luck with my cars.  BTW the IMEV is dependable but a sort of budget vehicle with low range. I don't think I'd want one.  Lawrence Rhodes

Re: George Bush father now: Nissan Leaf Compliance car?

On 08/09/2018 03:53 PM, Lawrence Rhodes via EV wrote:
> If the Nissan Leaf is a compliance car they sure did fool me. I have had nothing but good luck with my cars.  BTW the IMEV is dependable but a sort of budget vehicle with low range. I don't think I'd want one.  Lawrence Rhodes

I bought a Leaf in 2011 and was well please for over a year.  Range was
80-90 miles and well fit the purpose for which I purchased.  In two
years and 25k miles, the range was down to about 60; the car no longer
satisfied the purpose for which it was purchased.  The Nissan people
repeated informed that that was "normal" and refused a remedy.  This car
was sold to a neighbor and 60 miles met his needs.  As I understand,
that car is now down to 40-45 miles, far less than my imievs, and no
longer fits the owner's needs; he gets his new Model 3 in a month or so.
  Nissan has repeatedly denied any meaningful remedy to both owners.  I
believe they have offered the second owner a new battery at about $5k.
It makes little sense to put $5k into a car that will be worth about $5k
with the new battery.  It seems Leaf resale value is depressed because
of the poor quality batteries and the abysmal Nissan support.

I bought imievs with a range of 60-70 miles and they well fit the
purpose for which I purchased.  I have no discernible range decrease
with the imievs and I remain well please.

One might consider the Leaf a "compliance" car in that it is dependent
on subsidies for success.  As is the imiev.  Teslas, on the other hand,
are not dependent on subsidies for the great majority of their sales.

Willie via EV wrote:
> I bought a Leaf in 2011 and was well please for over a year... In two
> years and 25k miles, the range was down to about 60... was sold to a
> neighbor... now down to 40-45 miles... Nissan has repeatedly denied
> any meaningful remedy to both owners.

I've seen similar reports of this from others. It does appear that the
early Leafs had a problem with their batteries, especially in hot
climates. Sadly, Nissan refused to acknoledge the problem. It would
probably take a skilled lawyer and class-action lawsuit to pry
compensation out of them.

But Nissan seems to have corrected the problem in later Leafs. I have a
2013 Leaf, and have seen no evidence of loss of range. At over 25k
miles, it still has close to 100 miles range. For example, the range
"guess gauge" will show 80 miles range with an 80% charge, and we
actually can drive it 60 miles and still have 20% left. But a) we live
in a cooler climate (Minnesota), and b) we routinely charge to only 80%
(the 2013 Leaf has an option to end charging at 80% or 100%).
--
"Verschlimmbessern" (German, verb) - To make something worse by
trying to improve it. (English translation: "Microsoft"?)

Re: George Bush father now: Nissan Leaf Compliance car?

Well, the first version of this was back in the 90's when they had their Zero Emissions law in some western states.The Altra was produced between 1998 and 2002. When they repealed the law they quit making the cars. Same with all the other manufacturers. So, while they began making electric cars again after the Bush law in 2008 that does not make him the father of electric vehicles. California made the first law in 1990 and even today most of the vehicles are sold in states with these laws. i am sure the $7500 credit added in 2008 has increased sales. We will see what happens when it goes away for Nissan.

> I bought a Leaf in 2011 and was well please for over a year... In two
> years and 25k miles, the range was down to about 60... was sold to a
> neighbor... now down to 40-45 miles... Nissan has repeatedly denied
> any meaningful remedy to both owners.

I've seen similar reports of this from others. It does appear that the
early Leafs had a problem with their batteries, especially in hot
climates. Sadly, Nissan refused to acknoledge the problem. It would
probably take a skilled lawyer and class-action lawsuit to pry
compensation out of them.

But Nissan seems to have corrected the problem in later Leafs. I have a
2013 Leaf, and have seen no evidence of loss of range. At over 25k
miles, it still has close to 100 miles range. For example, the range
"guess gauge" will show 80 miles range with an 80% charge, and we
actually can drive it 60 miles and still have 20% left. But a) we live
in a cooler climate (Minnesota), and b) we routinely charge to only 80%
(the 2013 Leaf has an option to end charging at 80% or 100%).
--
"Verschlimmbessern" (German, verb) - To make something worse by
trying to improve it. (English translation: "Microsoft"?)

Re: George Bush father now: Nissan Leaf Compliance car?

As for Nissan ...
We have and travel in a motorhome, and tow a vehicle for shopping, etc. Our
Dodge RAM 1/2 ton pickup (standard shift) had been towed on many long trips
without any problems. In 2015 we were looking for a new pickup to tow
behind the RV because the Dodge had 267,000 miles on it. When talking to
dealers we specifically said that it would be towed four-flat behind the
RV. At Nissan they said that the Frontier pickup with standard shift would
be perfect.
We towed the Frontier from southern Louisiana to northern Arkansas. Upon
arrival in Fayetteville we drove the Frontier and there were all kinds of
warning lights on the dash. The entire front brake system had to be
replaced. Nissan took no responsibility for the damage. The Frontier had
less than 5,000 miles on it. One person from Nissan suggested that the
car's computer may have interpreted the long distance rolling as the
Frontier coasting down a long hill and applied the brakes. On the next trip
we disconnected the Frontiers battery and had no problem. We replaced the
engine in the Dodge and sold the Frontier.
I feel that the brake system damage on the Nissan was due to a questionable
design, but Nissan took no responsibility for the damage even though they
had been told that the Frontier was bought with the intention of towing it
behind an RV. I'm not going to buy another Nissan. I will admit that the
Datsun 240Z was a great car.