Global economic discussion: Lithium and Bolivia

Global economic discussion: Lithium and Bolivia

Rob Trahms
With the growth in use of lithium batteries in EVs, I thought this article was particularly relevant.

http://www.coha.org/2009/02/lucky-bolivia-and-the-future-of-lithium-in-the-world-economy/

Discuss!

Rob

Re: Global economic discussion: Lithium and Bolivia

Cor van de Water
Again?

Cor van de Water
Director HW & Systems Architecture Group
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [hidden email]
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        magicJack: +1 408 844 3932
Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203 XoIP: +31877841130

With the growth in use of lithium batteries in EVs, I thought this
article
was particularly relevant.

http://www.coha.org/2009/02/lucky-bolivia-and-the-future-of-lithium-in-t
he-world-economy/

Discuss!

Rob

-----
Rob Trahms
[hidden email]
Electro - the Cabby-EV
http://chaosmgmt.blogspot.com chaosmgmt.blogspot.com

Nabble.com.

open source electric trike design

Gary Krysztopik-2
I built an electric trike and I will be re-building it to fix some
things and document it for kit building. I’m starting an “open source”
forum, email list and website. I’ll provide all details on parts, cost,
design and performance along with all of the pictures and drawings that
I have. I’d like to have other people join in to help document, design
and build. It will be based on the parts and vehicle that I already own
and have been driving on the road. I think this will give the project a
good start and increase the chances of getting a new prototype rolling
in short time.

The goal is to have a simple open air vehicle that can be assembled from
a kit in less than one week at home with basic tools and skills. The
body will have to come afterwards because getting a rolling chassis is
enough work. I’ll be updating regularly on line and I should make quick
progress so at the very least it should be entertaining.

The forum is at http://zwos.proboards.com/index.cgi

The email list is a yahoo group called zwheelz at
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ZWheelz/

The website for now is www.zwheelz.com <http://www.zwheelz.com/> but I
will probably make another one just for the rebuild project.

I don’t have much loaded in there yet but I will do my best to keep
uploading data and explaining what works and what doesn’t. Please be
patient – I’m new to forum management and moderating so things may move
slowly at first. Hope to see you there.

Gary Krysztopik
www.ZWheelz.com
www.aceaa.org
San Antonio, TX

Re: Global economic discussion: Lithium and Bolivia

tomw
The article incorrectly states that Bolivia has over 50% of the world's lithium reserves. The largest known lithium reserves are 7 million LCE (Lithium Carbonate Equivalent, the extraction is typically reacted with soda ash to produce Li2CO3 which is the main form of lithium sold) at Atacama Chile.  Bolivia is second at about 5.5 million LCE.  Argentina has about 2.75 million.  China and Tibet together are fifth at about 2.5 million, which is a bit less than North Carolina has (but NC's is more difficult to extract). Then comes the Congo at about 2.25 million, then Nevada at about 2 million.  Argentina has a bit less than 2 million.  Arkansas has about 3/4 million, giving the US around 5.25 million LCE, about a tie with Bolivia.  Source: Western Lithium Mining.

Also how could the author discuss the application of lithium cells for ev's and not mention Tesla?  The Volt is a hybrid and isn't even a product yet, whereas Tesla has many cars on the road.

Tom

Rob Trahms wrote
With the growth in use of lithium batteries in EVs, I thought this article was particularly relevant.

http://www.coha.org/2009/02/lucky-bolivia-and-the-future-of-lithium-in-the-world-economy/

Discuss!

Rob

Re: Global economic discussion: Lithium and Bolivia

AMPhibian
It's a non issue.  Lithium is so plentiful and cheap right now you can buy a spray can of lithium grease, basically wasting the lithium.  There is plenty of lithium available for a long time, and the amount of lithium actually used in a battery is small and decreasing per kwh as the technology improves.  Lithium batteries are simply the flavor of the month so to speak and it's quite likely that some non lithium technology will come along and take it's place.
Rob Trahms wrote
With the growth in use of lithium batteries in EVs, I thought this article was particularly relevant.

http://www.coha.org/2009/02/lucky-bolivia-and-the-future-of-lithium-in-the-world-economy/

Discuss!

Rob

Re: Global economic discussion: Lithium and Bolivia

lcalarea47
Nearly half the world's known reserves are located in the Andes-containing
country Bolivia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolivia>, which in 2009 is
negotiating with Japanese and French firms to begin production.   why isnt
usa also  ????     lonnie

On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Rob Trahms <[hidden email]> wrote:

> With the growth in use of lithium batteries in EVs, I thought this article
> was particularly relevant.
>

> http://www.coha.org/2009/02/lucky-bolivia-and-the-future-of-lithium-in-the-world-economy/
>
> Discuss!
>
> Rob
>

> -----
> Rob Trahms
> [hidden email]
> Electro - the Cabby-EV
> http://chaosmgmt.blogspot.com chaosmgmt.blogspot.com

> Nabble.com.

Re: Global economic discussion: Lithium and Bolivia

John M. Salmon III
in this going to help me get mt ev built?
JMS