Got my 8 A123 pouch cells.

Chris Zach
Just had 8 A123 20ah pouch lithium cells delivered. $30 each on Ebay.

Boy, they have a *LOT* of power. And they are small. And thin. And
light. 8 of them fit into less space than a single 12 volt 17ah battery.

I'm going to have to build both enclosures and something to connect the
packs at the top. I'm thinking copper clamps of one length for parallel
connections between say two cells, and then longer ones to do the jump
to the next block. With some sort of insulators slipped in where needed.

This is just itching for fabrication; how are other people
interconnecting these cells, and what BMS seems to work?

So far the Elithon might be the way to go, since this is going into a 24
volt Robomower I don't know if I will have things like a 12 volt
accessory battery. Is there a list for these cells yet?

After I get them running in the Robomower, the next step is going to be
putting a string into the Elec-trak and see how it handles. Then either
100 or 200 (1 or two strings) for my Prizm; these *will* fit in the
battery box...

Chris

Re: Got my 8 A123 pouch cells.

Hoegberg .

Nice!

Hope they have the correct impedance and performance.
Did you get the real datasheet?

-Was it full length tabs?

I guess a Laser weld would be prefered,

 ultrasonic might be ok also
(but im a bit worried "internal organs" might be shaked also...)

if both of them are nickel tabs(???) then a normal spot welder will probably work great also.

Have you got any info about what thicknes of the coolingplates they use in high power applications, when doing nonstop hard cycling, fast charging, etc..?
the center area of the cells in a stack will overheat without coolingplates, I guess.

the long life of the cells is very much depending on the temperatures.

what cell compression N/cm² we should use to keep packs healthy?

/ John
Sweden

> Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 22:20:54 -0400
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [EVDL] Got my 8 A123 pouch cells.
>
> Just had 8 A123 20ah pouch lithium cells delivered. $30 each on Ebay.
>
> Boy, they have a *LOT* of power. And they are small. And thin. And
> light. 8 of them fit into less space than a single 12 volt 17ah battery.
>
> I'm going to have to build both enclosures and something to connect the
> packs at the top. I'm thinking copper clamps of one length for parallel
> connections between say two cells, and then longer ones to do the jump
> to the next block. With some sort of insulators slipped in where needed.
>
> This is just itching for fabrication; how are other people
> interconnecting these cells, and what BMS seems to work?
>
> So far the Elithon might be the way to go, since this is going into a 24
> volt Robomower I don't know if I will have things like a 12 volt
> accessory battery. Is there a list for these cells yet?
>
> After I get them running in the Robomower, the next step is going to be
> putting a string into the Elec-trak and see how it handles. Then either
> 100 or 200 (1 or two strings) for my Prizm; these *will* fit in the
> battery box...
>
> Chris

Re: Got my 8 A123 pouch cells.

Doug Weathers
Plasma Boy Racing has pictures of the enclosures he built for White Zombie's Kokam pouch cells.

http://photos.plasmaboyracing.com/LiPol-Module
--
Doug Weathers
http://www.gdunge.com