GreenGT Le Mans All-Electric Super Race Car

GreenGT Le Mans All-Electric Super Race Car

brucedp

http://inhabitat.com/green-gt-unveils-all-electric-supercar-prototype/
[image] Green GT Unveils All-Electric Supercar for Le Mans Race
by Timon Singh, 12/09/10  [in french http://www.green-gt.com ]

Last spring, Inhabitat did a story on up-and-coming Swiss auto company
GreenGT’s plans for a fully-electric vehicle. The supercar was billed as
the “the most powerful and cutting-edge electric race car ever built,”
with the vehicle designed to race in the world famous Le Mans race.
Back then the Twenty-4 vehicle boasted two 100-kw electric engines that
would provide 350-400 horsepower and a top speed of 171 mph, but now the
company has unveiled its working prototype, and they’ve certainly upped
the ante.

Apart from the new color scheme, the prototype is much more powerful than
the model that was unveiled last year. The rear motors have been upgraded
so that they can now produce a maximum of 408 horsepower (300 kW), which
in turn gives the car a top speed of 180 mph (290 km/h). The Green GT
prototype also offers software-controlled torque vectoring which helps
the driver manage tight bends without any hassle.

The car’s energy storage system has also undergone an over-haul. The
battery has been redesigned to a more powerful, liquid-cooled battery
that sits in a flameproof, crash-absorbing enclosure made from aerospace
composites. It also can maintain 31 kilowatt-hours and boasts a
fire-suppression system.

It will be interesting to see how this car contends in the Le Mans race,
but for now GT Green’s car could be one of the most interesting green
supercars on the market.  [© Inhabitat.com 2010]
http://www.worldcarfans.com/109051519382/green-gt-design-study-envisions-future-le-mans-electric-racer
Green GT Design Study Envisions Future Le Mans Electric Racer

http://electrovelocity.com/2010/12/10/brabus-team-tunes-the-tesla-roadster/
[images] Brabus Team Tunes The Tesla Roadster

http://www.energyplanet.info/blog/2007/05/09/x1-electric-race-car/
[image] X1 Electric Race Car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqqtJpfZElQ
[video] Electric car vs Ferrari

http://www.engineeringtv.com/video/Lithium-ion-Electric-Race-Car
[video] Lithium-ion Electric Race Car

http://weeklyworldnews.com/headlines/19211/electric-race-car-breaks-speedway-record/
[video] ELECTRIC RACE CAR BREAKS SPEEDWAY RECORD

http://www.CurrentEliminator.net/
The World's QUICKEST Electric Dragster!

http://www.killacycle.com/
[image] The World's QUICKEST Electric Motorcycle!

http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/whitezombie.php
[images] John Wayland's White Zombie The Datsun 1200 drag race EV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAYrsEOxqYc
[video] White Zombie

http://www.go-ev.com/racing-ba.html
[image] NetGains Bad Amplitude.

http://www.eaaev.org/History/
1993: EAA member Bob Schneeveis races over 100 mph in a custom-built
electric [race] car named "[SnoWhite]".
http://www.cafeelectric.com/images/Snowhite1.jpg
[image] Bob Schneeveis` "Snowhite" electric race car

http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Toyota-will-stay-with-NiMH-for-10-years-Chevron-out-ECD-in-td3085326.html

Re: GreenGT Le Mans All-Electric Super Race Car

EVDL Administrator
On 13 Dec 2010 at 18:01, Bruce Parmenter wrote:

> Back then the Twenty-4 vehicle boasted two 100-kw electric engines that
> would provide 350-400 horsepower ...

Last I heard, 200kw == 268hp, and that's not allowing for losses.  What am I
missing here?

> The rear motors have been upgraded so that  they can now produce a
> maximum of 408 horsepower (300 kW) ...

They're getting closer now - 300kw == 402hp.  Pretty soon they'll have it
right.

Re: GreenGT Le Mans All-Electric Super Race Car

David Dymaxion
Maybe they were running a nominal 100 kW motor at a higher power, like many DC EVers do?

On Tue Dec 14th, 2010 4:14 PM MST EVDL Administrator wrote:

>On 13 Dec 2010 at 18:01, Bruce Parmenter wrote:
>
>> Back then the Twenty-4 vehicle boasted two 100-kw electric engines that
>> would provide 350-400 horsepower ...
>
>Last I heard, 200kw == 268hp, and that's not allowing for losses.  What am I
>missing here?
>
>> The rear motors have been upgraded so that  they can now produce a
>> maximum of 408 horsepower (300 kW) ...
>
>They're getting closer now - 300kw == 402hp.  Pretty soon they'll have it
>right.
>
>David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
>EVDL Administrator
>
>= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
>EVDL Information: http://www.evdl.org/help/
>= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
>Note: mail sent to "evpost" and "etpost" addresses will not
>reach me.  To send a private message, please obtain my
>email address from the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .

Re: GreenGT Le Mans All-Electric Super Race Car

Mike Nickerson
I don't know that much about Le Mans racing, but the press release mentions the motors are 300 kW and also states the battery capacity at 31 kWH.  I think these race cars are run pretty much full out, so the motors could draw pretty close to 300 kW for sustained periods.  Doesn't that put the run time at .1 hours (or 6 minutes?)  Aren't the races quite a bit longer than that?

Mike

Apart from the new color scheme, the prototype is much more powerful than the model that was unveiled last year. The rear motors have been upgraded so that they can now produce a maximum of 408 horsepower (300 kW), which in turn gives the car a top speed of 180 mph (290 km/h). The Green GT prototype also offers software-controlled torque vectoring which helps the driver manage tight bends without any hassle.

The car’s energy storage system has also undergone an over-haul. The battery has been redesigned to a more powerful, liquid-cooled battery that sits in a flameproof, crash-absorbing enclosure made from aerospace composites. It also can maintain 31 kilowatt-hours and boasts a fire-suppression system.

Re: GreenGT Le Mans All-Electric Super Race Car

rwminicup@yahoo.com
Road racing courses are typically built so that 80 to 90% of the course you are either entering or exiting a corner - back and forth between controlled acceleration and regen.