HPEVS refuses to warranty new motor purchased w/o controller

HPEVS refuses to warranty new motor purchased w/o controller

Cruisin
Buy a new HPEVS motor without the controller, and get NO warranty according to HPEVS spokesperson Bill. This is a red flag for the industry that is now going through tough times. Also, may be illegal in California. Buyers should do their homework before buying their motors and get everything in writing.

Re: HPEVS refuses to warranty new motor purchased w/o controller

Zeke Yewdall
My question is, what use would a HPEVS motor be without the matching
controller anyway?  Does anyone else make a compatible controller that you
might use instead?  I'm assuming we're referring to the AC-31/AC-35/AC-50
motors?

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 2:03 PM, Cruisin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Buy a new HPEVS motor without the controller, and get NO warranty according
> to HPEVS spokesperson Bill. This is a red flag for the industry that is now
> going through tough times. Also, may be illegal in California. Buyers
> should
> do their homework before buying their motors and get everything in writing.

Re: HPEVS refuses to warranty new motor purchased w/o controller

Michael Ross
At the RC and Ebike end of the spectrum, it is all about mixing and
matching motors and controllers.  There is a lot of different
functionality.  A copter need different capabilities than a bike motor.  It
also messes up anyone who prefers DIY.   There may be not particularly
rational reason to try a different controller, but many would want to do it
anyway.

To me the question is why expect the warranty beyond an initial - "is it
working" period?  If I make you a motor that is supposed to run at no more
than 72V and you run it at 144V and mess it up - how do I protect my own
interests?  I can't tell you did that to it, and I should not be expected
to cover for your bad ideas.

I could see a warranty on the mechanicals without regard to controller.

What exactly are we warrantying here anyway?  Insulation breakdown?  Failed
hall effects and electronics?  The second shouldn't even be expensive.  The
first is probably system design or operator error.

Anyway, I am just exploring the other side of this.  We don't want to see
the motor manufacturers going out of business, we want them healthy and
functional - as long as they operate in good faith.

BM

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 9:08 AM, Zeke Yewdall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My question is, what use would a HPEVS motor be without the matching
> controller anyway?  Does anyone else make a compatible controller that you
> might use instead?  I'm assuming we're referring to the AC-31/AC-35/AC-50
> motors?

> On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 2:03 PM, Cruisin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Buy a new HPEVS motor without the controller, and get NO warranty
> according
> > to HPEVS spokesperson Bill. This is a red flag for the industry that is
> now
> > going through tough times. Also, may be illegal in California. Buyers
> > should
> > do their homework before buying their motors and get everything in
> writing.
> >

> > --

*Dalai Lama *

Tell me what it is you plan to do
WIth your one wild and precious life?
Mary Oliver, "The summer day."

Thomas A. Edison<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasaed125362.html>

*Warren Buffet*

Michael E. Ross
(919) 550-2430 Land
(919) 631-1451 Cell
(919) 513-0418 Desk

[hidden email]
<[hidden email]>

Re: HPEVS refuses to warranty new motor purchased w/o controller

Peter C. Thompson-2
Hi Zeke,

There are several different controllers out there, including a few
homebuilt.  I'm currently looking into a homebrew 3-phase controller for
my BLDC motor (the controller should be good to 400v and 400a).

Cheers, Peter

On 4 Nov 2013 at 7:08, Zeke Yewdall wrote:

> My question is, what use would a HPEVS motor be without the matching
> controller anyway?

You're lucky they'll even sell it to you, warranty or no.  Solectria would
sell motors and inverters only as a set.  They said that every inverter was
"factory tuned" to its motor.

AFAIK, this policy is, if not standard, pretty common with AC drives.
Metric Mind has the same policy for the MES-DEA and Brusa drives they offer.
On the inverter page, Victor states :  "Programmed for and work together
with AC motors produced by respective manufacturers, therefore sold only as
matching pairs."

A little historical tidbit here.  Back in the early-mid 1990s, Ford briefly
offered a Ranger pickup custom conversion done by a third party.  They
evidently had a stock of Ford-branded, Siemens-made spare motors - probably
more motors than Rangers.  (AFAIK, these are not the same as the motors used
in the much more widely sold Ranger EV from later in the 1990s.  Someone
please correct me if that's wrong.)

About 20 years on, these spare motors are STILL being offered, usually at
absurdly high prices - I've seen them as high as $5k, and a couple grand is
common - by surplus dealers.  You can see one listing here :

http://www.commoditiesrecoverycorp.com/electricmotors.htm

For years we had regular posts from newbies on this list, asking where they
could buy an inverter to drive this motor.  The answer was, and is,  "You
can't."  No such critter exists today, and probably none was ever available
to hobbyists.

My guess is that Ford scrapped whatever spare inverters they had for these
trucks.  Or maybe some Ford buyer, unfamiliar with what kind of spares the
small fleet of vehicles needed, just went overboard with ordering motors.
(Is anybody here who worked on this project and knows the real story on
where all these orphaned motors came from?)

I vaguely recall hearing that someone was trying to either build an inverter
for these or adapt an industrial controller to work with them, but I don't
know how that worked out.  As far as I'm concerned, with no tested inverter
available for them, these are just very pricey doorstops.

Anyway, to get to the point, I would say that HPEV's policy is actually
somewhat more hobbyist-friendly than the one in place with most EV drive
suppliers.

Re: HPEVS refuses to warranty new motor purchased w/o controller

Collin Kidder
I've actually got one of the motors from the link you listed. It is
technically true that no one sells
a controller for that motor. However, the Azure Dynamics converted Transit
Connect Electric vans used
a very similar Siemens motor and the motor controller they used (DMOC645)
along with the parameters
they set for their motor will work perfectly fine with those old Ford
motors from the Ranger EVs. I've done it.
However, the old motors have non-sealed bearings that were supposed to be
bathed in transaxle oil and have
hollow shafts and odd splining on the outside. Unless you're up for a large
project they're really no fun to use.
The Ford motors can be purchased more cheaply than the Siemens motors from
the AZD auction but do require work.

About 20 years on, these spare motors are STILL being offered, usually at

> absurdly high prices - I've seen them as high as $5k, and a couple grand is
> common - by surplus dealers.  You can see one listing here :
>
> http://www.commoditiesrecoverycorp.com/electricmotors.htm
>
> For years we had regular posts from newbies on this list, asking where they
> could buy an inverter to drive this motor.  The answer was, and is,  "You
> can't."  No such critter exists today, and probably none was ever available
> to hobbyists.
>
> My guess is that Ford scrapped whatever spare inverters they had for these
> trucks.  Or maybe some Ford buyer, unfamiliar with what kind of spares the
> small fleet of vehicles needed, just went overboard with ordering motors.
> (Is anybody here who worked on this project and knows the real story on
> where all these orphaned motors came from?)
>
> I vaguely recall hearing that someone was trying to either build an
> inverter
> for these or adapt an industrial controller to work with them, but I don't
> know how that worked out.  As far as I'm concerned, with no tested inverter
> available for them, these are just very pricey doorstops.

Re: HPEVS refuses to warranty new motor purchased w/o controller

Michael Ross
The purveyors of AC variable frequency drives are assuming you pick
whatever motor suits your needs.  I usually just buy a Marathon inverter
duty motor.  Marathon never asks me what drive I intend to use.  And never
ask about a warranty.  Marathon has a good reputation and that is what
counts, not the warranty.

EVDL Administrator wrote:
> You're lucky they'll even sell it to you, warranty or no.

Right on target, David. It has become the norm to sell packages, and not
parts. From the manufacturer's point of view, they would prefer to sell
packages. They get more money. It lets them test it, tune it up, and
they can include protection in the software against customer error. All
these reduce warranty and customer support costs.

But in the DC traction motor, and industrial AC motor sectors, motors
and controllers are usually mix-n-match. Customers buy the motor from
one vendor, and the controller from another. These markets are big
enough so the customer has "clout". The customers are in control; not
the manufacturers. Customers can say, "No, I won't buy your stinkin'
overpriced motor. You didn't build it; you bought it from someone else,
doubled the price, and are trying to foist it off on me. I already have
motor vendors I like."

> in the early-mid 1990s, Ford evidently had a stock of Ford-branded,
> Siemens-made spare motors - probably more motors than Rangers.
> About 20 years on, these spare motors are STILL being offered, usually at
> absurdly high prices - I've seen them as high as $5k...
> For years we had regular posts from newbies on this list, asking where they
> could buy an inverter to drive this motor.  The answer was, and is,  "You
> can't."  No such critter exists today, and probably none was ever available
> to hobbyists.

Actually, you can probably get an industrial AC motor controller to run
it. Industrial AC controllers will test the motor, and tune themselves
to it.

Now, you may have a problem with the packaging of the industrial
controller. It's built to sit indoors on a factory floor; not outdoors
under the hood of a vehicle.

--
Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily
available, they will create their own problems. -- Scott Adams

Re: HPEVS refuses to warranty new motor purchased w/o controller

Martin WINLOW
I may be wrong but I think Russ Sciville managed to get one of the 2 (or more) of these Ford motors he bought to work very well with his Lotus Elise conversion (more info here... http://www.evalbum.com/1454 ) and possibly also with his later kit car project.... www.vortex-
auto.com

He goes by the moniker 'rustybkts' on the web and I suspect he would be the man to ask about the practicality of using these motors.  He does visit the list occasionally...

MW

On 4 Nov 2013, at 16:01, EVDL Administrator wrote:

> On 4 Nov 2013 at 7:08, Zeke Yewdall wrote:
>
>> My question is, what use would a HPEVS motor be without the matching
>> controller anyway?
>
> You're lucky they'll even sell it to you, warranty or no.  Solectria would
> sell motors and inverters only as a set.  They said that every inverter was
> "factory tuned" to its motor.
>
> AFAIK, this policy is, if not standard, pretty common with AC drives.
> Metric Mind has the same policy for the MES-DEA and Brusa drives they offer.
> On the inverter page, Victor states :  "Programmed for and work together
> with AC motors produced by respective manufacturers, therefore sold only as
> matching pairs."
>
> A little historical tidbit here.  Back in the early-mid 1990s, Ford briefly
> offered a Ranger pickup custom conversion done by a third party.  They
> evidently had a stock of Ford-branded, Siemens-made spare motors - probably
> more motors than Rangers.  (AFAIK, these are not the same as the motors used
> in the much more widely sold Ranger EV from later in the 1990s.  Someone
> please correct me if that's wrong.)
>
> About 20 years on, these spare motors are STILL being offered, usually at
> absurdly high prices - I've seen them as high as $5k, and a couple grand is
> common - by surplus dealers.  You can see one listing here :
>
> http://www.commoditiesrecoverycorp.com/electricmotors.htm
>
> For years we had regular posts from newbies on this list, asking where they
> could buy an inverter to drive this motor.  The answer was, and is,  "You
> can't."  No such critter exists today, and probably none was ever available
> to hobbyists.
>
> My guess is that Ford scrapped whatever spare inverters they had for these
> trucks.  Or maybe some Ford buyer, unfamiliar with what kind of spares the
> small fleet of vehicles needed, just went overboard with ordering motors.
> (Is anybody here who worked on this project and knows the real story on
> where all these orphaned motors came from?)
>
> I vaguely recall hearing that someone was trying to either build an inverter
> for these or adapt an industrial controller to work with them, but I don't
> know how that worked out.  As far as I'm concerned, with no tested inverter
> available for them, these are just very pricey doorstops.
>
> Anyway, to get to the point, I would say that HPEV's policy is actually
> somewhat more hobbyist-friendly than the one in place with most EV drive
> suppliers.
>
> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EVDL Administrator

Re: HPEVS refuses to warranty new motor purchased w/o controller

echevy
David,
the Ford/Siemens motor is actually quite nice.  I have one in my truck.
If you want an inverter for these motors, contact Rinehart Motion
Systems.  I've got the 100kw unit in my truck.  They actually use the
Ford motor to test the inverters in their shop.  It is just a matter of
finding out what the motor parameters are.  The only down side to the
motor is that the shaft end has a very specific mount on the casing,
meant to be married to the Ford gearbox.  You can build a more standard
adapter plate for it and close out the rest of the space with a plate.

The other mechanical issue is adapting to the shaft splines, but it can
be done by a machine shop.

Paul Wallace

> [...]
> these
> trucks.  Or maybe some Ford buyer, unfamiliar with what kind of spares
> the
> small fleet of vehicles needed, just went overboard with ordering
> motors.
> (Is anybody here who worked on this project and knows the real story on
> where all these orphaned motors came from?)
>
> I vaguely recall hearing that someone was trying to either build an
> inverter
> for these or adapt an industrial controller to work with them, but I
> don't
> know how that worked out.  As far as I'm concerned, with no tested
> inverter
> available for them, these are just very pricey doorstops.
>
> Anyway, to get to the point, I would say that HPEV's policy is actually
> somewhat more hobbyist-friendly than the one in place with most EV

Paul Wallace
USElectricar S10 upgraded

Re: HPEVS refuses to warranty new motor purchased w/o controller

Travis
Forwarding this from HPEVS, as this same topic was posted on the diyelectriccar forum today.

"I feel the need to jump in here. Our motors carry at least a one year warranty from manufacturing defects. We have several OEM's that use other than the Curtis controller with our motor, this is not and never has been an issue for us. If the motor becomes damaged due to a controller that is not tuned properly and/or does not have the proper motor temperature sensor input, then the warranty would be voided. Also the customer will be responsible for tuning the controller correctly, since we can't support any controller other than the Curtis. In the case of the motors Al Bullock, (aka Cruisin, aka miller3408) is selling on Ebay, these motors will not be warrantied or supported by HPEVS, mainly since these are now 5 to 6 years old. Speaking of which, Al you need to start supporting the customers that bought these motors from you, I'm tired of getting the calls. You also need to be upfront about what they are. These are old Miles Electric Vehicles motors. They were designed for low speed utility trucks and NEV's. These are obsolete for us now and have been for a few years since the new AC35 went into production. Sorry to carry on, but I had to set the record straight. " - HPEVS

Also, here's a copy of their warranty, in case anything is unclear:
http://www.hpevs.com/Site/images/pdf/hpevs-limited-warranty.pdf

It's not an issue with HPEVS warrantying single motors. They do and will warranty anything bought new from HPEVS or their distributors. What they will NOT warranty, is motors that fall outside that warranty period or motors that were incorrectly used. In this case with the ebay motors, they're old motors well past their warranty period and thus have no warranty left.

I've sold several single motors and they've been very good with technical support and service when needed.

Regards,
Travis Gintz
Electro Motive Force, LLC
www.emf-power.com

Re: HPEVS refuses to warranty new motor purchased w/o controller

Cruisin
HPEVS is not lying to the public. As dealer for HPEVS, I purchased a large order that consisted of AC-35's and AC-50"s that was picked up and sent to a European customer. I was instructed by Bill to inform my customer that there was no warranty on the motors without the purchase of controllers. I still have the email from Bill stating the above and was told verbally after questioning his instructions. HPEVS also had a history of overcharging on shipping charges and charged me up to 40% over dealer pricing on some components when they found out I was buying AC-31 motors from their OEM. When questioned, they changed their mind and credited me back the overcharges. I also have other motors from OEM's such as the AC-35. I suspect HPEVS is hurting and getting a lot of calls from their dealers complaining that I sell so cheap. The motors I sell have been upgraded and are superior to the AC-35 and AC-50 as demonstrated in the N California EV drag race July 2013. Bryan (HPEVS) was offered a free airplane ticket to witness the events by me, he declined. Don't be fooled what the washing machine motor winder has said above. Travis is better off on a regular job as well.

Re: HPEVS refuses to warranty new motor purchased w/o controller

Rush Dougherty
Cruisin -

When you reply to posts, you have the habit of not including the post you
are replying to. And since there are quite a few messages in this thread, it
is sort of difficult to know who you are referring to as the 'washing
machine motor winder'.

Also when you mention that you sell EV stuff, is it possible that you at
least put in your website so we can see your costs and verify your
statements?

Thanks
Rush
www.TucsonEV.com

Behalf
> Of Cruisin
> Sent: Monday, November 04, 2013 7:15 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [EVDL] HPEVS refuses to warranty new motor purchased w/o
> controller
>
> HPEVS is not lying to the public. As dealer for HPEVS, I purchased a large
order
> that consisted of AC-35's and AC-50"s that was picked up and sent to a
> European customer. I was instructed by Bill to inform my customer that
there
> was no warranty on the motors without the purchase of controllers. I still
have
> the email from Bill stating the above and was told verbally after
questioning his
> instructions. HPEVS also had a history of overcharging on shipping charges
and
> charged me up to 40% over dealer pricing on some components when they
> found out I was buying AC-31 motors from their OEM.
> When questioned, they changed their mind and credited me back the
> overcharges. I also have other motors from OEM's such as the AC-35. I
suspect
> HPEVS is hurting and getting a lot of calls from their dealers complaining
that I
> sell so cheap. The motors I sell have been upgraded and are superior to
the AC-
> 35 and AC-50 as demonstrated in the N California EV drag race July 2013.
Bryan

> (HPEVS) was offered a free airplane ticket to witness the events by me, he
> declined. Don't be fooled what the washing machine motor winder has said
> above. Travis is better off on a regular job as well.

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

Re: HPEVS refuses to warranty new motor purchased w/o controller

Marco Gaxiola
Crusin,

I agree with Rush, please put some references from what you sell and
specially where to find ouy more about that superior upgrades for the AC's.
There may be some interested guys, including me; on getting a higher
performance AC based systems for next conversions.

Then: Just reading at most of the comments on this thread, I could not find
what finally was the problem which caused the warranty rejection? what
is/was wrong with the motor?

Marco Gaxiola
www.facebook.com/EvMarch

2013/11/4 Rush Dougherty <[hidden email]>

> Cruisin -
>
> When you reply to posts, you have the habit of not including the post you
> are replying to. And since there are quite a few messages in this thread,
> it
> is sort of difficult to know who you are referring to as the 'washing
> machine motor winder'.
>
> Also when you mention that you sell EV stuff, is it possible that you at
> least put in your website so we can see your costs and verify your
> statements?
>
> Thanks
> Rush
> www.TucsonEV.com

I do know that any motor warranty I've come to them with, they've had no issue
working with me towards a resolution. I've bought controllers surplus and motors
new from them, and the warranties were never an issue.