Hairball Zilla AC Plug In feature

John Mogelnicki
Merry Christmas!

Is anyone using the AC Plug In feature on your hairball / Zilla?

I don't think it's required but may be good for the hairball/Zilla to know
that I'm charging the car.

Re: Hairball Zilla AC Plug In feature

Roland Wiench
Hello John,

My Zilla does not have this feature yet. Nothing was said about this feature
back in 2002, I assume it was either that the motor controller would not
activated while the charger was on or something else.

Anyway, I remember that Otmar told me that the negative of the battery pack
goes right to the motor controller, goes to some type of shunt and then to
the motor.

I therefore added another contactor on my battery pack, so I now have a
positive and negative safety contactor that is only activated by the
ignition switch on position and than the ignition start position activates
the main contactor.

This method of using two safety contactors, completely isolates the battery
charger from the controller circuit.  When I had only one safety contactor,
I could read full battery voltage from any battery post to the frame of the
vehicle, even if I had the batteries isolated from the EV body in a
fiberglass box.

While I was charging the battery, the battery charging current would flow on
the negative battery cable to the controller and to the motor and conducting
through the brush dust off the commentator down to the motor shaft, back
through the transmission, to the driveline, to the differential which is
grounded to the frame.

Disconnecting the battery pack negative and placing the PFC battery charger
in a fiberglass compartment and using a heavy duty industrial isolated AC
plug in connection solve this problem while charging on a insulated floor.
I never charge my EV outside in the rain while standing in a puddle.

> Is anyone using the AC Plug In feature on your hairball / Zilla?
>
> I don't think it's required but may be good for the hairball/Zilla to know
> that I'm charging the car.

Re: Hairball Zilla AC Plug In feature

Gerald Wagner
Hi John, I am using that feature on my pickup with a Manzanita Micro
PFC-20.  I located a recessed male plug in the grille and wired a double
pole single throw toggle switch to start the charger and signal the
hairball/Zilla that the line cord was plugged in.

One side of the toggle switch has 12.5 volts from battery plus  and this
then goes to the AC terminal on the hairball.  The hairball will not allow
the main contactor to close while this switch is on.  So one can not drive
away while the charge cord is attached to the car.  As far as I know that is
the sole function of the AC in terminal.

The other side of the double throw toggle is a safeguard I designed to
prevent the PFC-20 from getting AC power if the high voltage pack is
disconnected from the charger output.  If you are not using a PFC from
Manzanita Micro you probably don't need it.  I use a small 12 volt DC
converter which is powered from the high voltage power pack at the charger
disconnect. If there is no high voltage connection to the charger this DC
converter has no output.  If it is on it feeds 12 volts to a DC solid state
relay which connects the AC line to the charger.  That way I can leave the
charger breaker turned on, plug in the ac power cord, and then activate the
toggle switch.  By turning off the switch the relay disconnects the power to
the charger.  Then I pull the cord off the truck.

I hope this was not too confusing.   Jerry Wagner