Hot wire

We had an over temperature event here recently.  In Jan 2016, I bought a
2013 Nissan Leaf.  Around May, I bought an OpenEVSE.   I had saved six
L6-30 power cords from servers I retired.  I removed the proprietary
connectors and put on L6-30Rs to make extension cables.
I used the combination for 18 months - usually 3 extensions and a 10-30
adaptor I made.  The EVSE is limited to 24Amps.

Last week, one of the junctions got hot enough to melt the plastic of the
plug.
Fortunately I was home to detect it.

I took it out of service until I could replace the damaged L6-30R and then
I monitored the connections.  One L6-30 junction and the 10-30 junction
both show 100 Farenheit while in use.  Is that normal?   Maybe I need to
exchange the surplus L630Rs with new ones.

I plan to work on getting an L6-30R outlet near the parking space.  But it
would be nice to have confidence in these cables.

Thanks

Re: Hot wire

I do something similar.  You *must* regularly inspect the connections in
operation.  Even on the server side we had people inspect the connections
in the server room (with a really cool thermal photography system).  L6-30
is a good solution with #8 or #10 wire but it is like anything else, a
*small* imperfection can lead to thermal expansion frequency and it gets
worse.  I shine a laser thermometer on mine and physically touch the
connections.  I've never had to retighten them or redo one, but... I'm
always vigilant.  It needs servicing if it is more than a few degrees
warmer than the wire..

--
Sean Korb [hidden email] http://www.spkorb.org
'65 Suprang,'68 Cougar,'78 R100/7,'60 Metro,'59 A35,'71 Pantera #1382