I'm ready to get started!

Behrle Hubbuch
Hi Everybody!  After many years of thinking about doing it I'm ready to do it!  I became the proud owner of a very clean 81 VW SciroccoS rolling shell recently and want to begin building a SciroccoE.  I have "Convert it" and am a very capable shade tree mechanic.  I am also of course wanting to build this for as little cash as possible so local, cheap/build it yourself component sources would be VERY appreciated.  I live in the Dayton Ohio area.

Thanks!

Behrle

Re: I'm ready to get started!

EVDL Administrator
On 31 May 2009 at 10:34, Behrle Hubbuch wrote:

> I am also of course wanting to build this for as little cash as
> possible so local, cheap/build it yourself component sources would be
> VERY appreciated.

Gosh, I've never heard of anyone looking to convert on the cheap!  ;-)

Too bad you didn't get interested in EVs when nobody else was - say, in 1988
or so.  You used to be able buy derelict conversions for well under $1000,
and running conversions for $2000. With a little luck you might have even f
found someone who'd give you the rusting hulk in his back yard if you hauled
it away.  Once you scraped out the gunk from the frozen and ruptured
batteries, you usually got a decent repairable motor and a few assorted
usable bits.

Alas, when gasoline hit $4+ per gallon last summer, the supply of cheap EVs
and components quickly dried up.  Used conversions that would have sold for
$2-3k 20 years ago now sell for at least 5 times that amount.

But all is not hopeless.  Here's an example of a recent conversion on a
budget :

http://www.forkenswift.com/

Yes, it's a bit limited in its capabilities, but it's a great way to get
your feet wet (maybe literally ;-) on a budget.

David Roden
EVDL Administrator
http://www.evdl.org/

Re: I'm ready to get started!

jgblair
Hi Behrie,

Sometimes you can find a car conversion on eBay or even Craigslist
that someone started and then had no time to finish or it is not
working.  You can get all of the parts (including the car).  Of
course you "takes your chances" with a non-operational car.  There is
one now (Honda Civic - 230346128586) for $3,000 with no bidders that
includes about $8,000 worth of parts.  It was working, but he broke
the motor.  It is in Sacramento, CA, so you might want to look
someplace closer.  You can pull the parts and toss the car or you can
fix it for practice and experience, sell it as a working electric
car, and then buy the parts you now know that fit your requirements.

John

---
John G. Blair Studio
Occidental, California
(about an hour north of the Bay Area)
http://www.jgblairphoto.com - general photography
http://www.johngblairstudio.com - commercial and stock photography
http://www.johngblair.com - author website

On May 31, 2009, at 10:34 AM, Behrle Hubbuch wrote:

> Hi Everybody!  After many years of thinking about doing it I'm
> ready to do it!  I became the proud owner of a very clean 81 VW
> SciroccoS rolling shell recently and want to begin building a
> SciroccoE.  I have "Convert it" and am a very capable shade tree
> mechanic.  I am also of course wanting to build this for as little
> cash as possible so local, cheap/build it yourself component
> sources would be VERY appreciated.  I live in the Dayton Ohio area.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Behrle

Re: I'm ready to get started!

Behrle Hubbuch wrote:
> Hi Everybody!  After many years of thinking about doing it I'm ready to do it!  I became the proud owner of a very clean 81 VW SciroccoS rolling shell recently and want to begin building a SciroccoE.  I have "Convert it" and am a very capable shade tree mechanic.  I am also of course wanting to build this for as little cash as possible so local, cheap/build it yourself component sources would be VERY appreciated.  I live in the Dayton Ohio area.

The Scirocco is a cute little car, and many parts are shared with the
Rabbit so getting adapter plates etc. should be straightforward. Paul
Compton in England converted one. Maybe he can provide some pointers.

--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget the perfect offering

Re: I'm ready to get started!

jgblair
Hi David,

I was lucky last summer.  I was just starting a Geo Metro conversion
after much research and was actually out looking for the right car.
I found a converted Ford Escort on eBay and bought it for $7,000.  It
ran fine.  All I did is fix up a few interior things (seat covers,
glovebox latch etc).  A month later I found a Saturn conversion with
better performance on eBay and bought it for $8,000.  I actually had
to use it on the drive home when we had problem with the tow
vehicle.  I would have spent more than either of those just on the
parts for the Geo conversion, plus I didn't have to do the work.  :-)

John

---

On May 31, 2009, at 11:11 AM, EVDL Administrator wrote:

> Alas, when gasoline hit $4+ per gallon last summer, the supply of
> cheap EVs
> and components quickly dried up.  Used conversions that would have
> sold for
> $2-3k 20 years ago now sell for at least 5 times that amount.

Re: I'm ready to get started!

SLPinfo.org
Keep your eyes glued to the "EV Trading Post" as well.

http://www.austinev.org/evtradinpost/

- Peter

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 12:11 PM, EVDL Administrator <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 31 May 2009 at 10:34, Behrle Hubbuch wrote:
>
> > I am also of course wanting to build this for as little cash as
> > possible so local, cheap/build it yourself component sources would be
> > VERY appreciated.
>
> Gosh, I've never heard of anyone looking to convert on the cheap!  ;-)
>
> Too bad you didn't get interested in EVs when nobody else was - say, in
> 1988
> or so.  You used to be able buy derelict conversions for well under $1000,
> and running conversions for $2000. With a little luck you might have even f
> found someone who'd give you the rusting hulk in his back yard if you
> hauled
> it away.  Once you scraped out the gunk from the frozen and ruptured
> batteries, you usually got a decent repairable motor and a few assorted
> usable bits.
>
> Alas, when gasoline hit $4+ per gallon last summer, the supply of cheap EVs
> and components quickly dried up.  Used conversions that would have sold for
> $2-3k 20 years ago now sell for at least 5 times that amount.
>
> But all is not hopeless.  Here's an example of a recent conversion on a
> budget :
>
> http://www.forkenswift.com/
>
> Yes, it's a bit limited in its capabilities, but it's a great way to get
> your feet wet (maybe literally ;-) on a budget.
>
> David Roden
> EVDL Administrator
> http://www.evdl.org/

Re: I'm ready to get started!

Al-57
Why does everything have to be "cheap"?
As many on this list will tell you cheap generally equals disappointment.
You get what you pay for. If you go the cheap route don't expect stellar
performance.
A conversion has 5 major components. The donor vehicle, the motor, the motor
controller, the batteries, and the battery charger.
If you go cheap on any one of these, don't be surprised if you end up with
an unreliable poor performing vehicle.
I am not saying that you have to buy everything top of the line, just keep
in mind the consequences of trying to cut corners.
Cutting corners with an EV can be anywhere from annoying to downright
dangerous.

PS: My conversion uses all standard well regarded components and I haven't
had a moments trouble going on 3 years.

Al

Hi Everybody! After many years of thinking about doing it I'm ready to do
it! I became the proud owner of a very clean 81 VW SciroccoS rolling shell
recently and want to begin building a SciroccoE. I have "Convert it" and am
a very capable shade tree mechanic. I am also of course wanting to build
this for as little cash as possible so local, cheap/build it yourself
component sources would be VERY appreciated. I live in the Dayton Ohio area.

Thanks!

Behrle

Re: I'm ready to get started!

Darin -@- ForkenSwift.com

Al-57 wrote
If you go cheap on any one of these, don't be surprised if you end up with
an unreliable poor performing vehicle.
Hey, I resemble that comment! :D

"Unreliable"?  FYI, the ForkenSwift just passed the 3000 km mark since conversion.  The only mechanical breakdown has been the accelerator potentiometer going out of adjustment once (a set screw, um, "un-set").  Fixed with a screwdriver.

(I have also killed the accessory battery more than a couple of times, but that's my fault for not sorting out the DC-DC converter.  IE installing it.)

"Poor performing"?  OK, no argument there.  By most people's standards this cheap conversion is woefully underpowered (400A @ 48v, 2070 lbs).  I avoid steep hills and the busiest roads in the city.  But it meets my needs, and 3000 km later I still think it's a total hoot to drive.

Cheap is a low stress way to learn about conversions.  It may cost *much* more in time though, to source the cheap bits and pieces.

cheers-
Darin

http://www.evalbum.com/1146
http://www.forkenswift.com

Re: I'm ready to get started!

Al wrote:
> Why does everything have to be "cheap"? As many on this list will
> tell you cheap generally equals disappointment. You get what you pay
> for.

Amen!

To me, there is "cheap" and "inexpensive". Cheap means going for the
lowest price, right now, no matter what the consequences. Cheap is what
people get when they don't know what they're doing. "I don't know what
it is or if it works, but I got it cheap!"

"Inexpensive" means you *know* what you need, and are simply looking for
the best price on a quality item. You need the "General Products model
XYZ", and are shopping for the lowest price.

The difference between the two is knowledge. You can buy a flashy new
controller, or an older used one -- which is better? You can include
this expensive fuse, or leave it out -- what are the consequences? You
can buy the adapter plate, or make it yourself -- are your skills up to
the task? Do you trust information from some stranger on the internet,
or do your own testing -- are you willing you learn and experiment?
Finally, what is your tolerance for risk? The cheaper you go, the higher
the risk that it's cheap because there are problems!
--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget the perfect offering
There is a crack in everything

Re: I'm ready to get started!

SLPinfo.org
Yes "getting what you pay for" has been our experience.  We picked a solid
little donor and installed new, proven parts for everything but went cheap
on the batteries.  Lo and behold we're having problems with the batteries!

- Peter Flipsen Jr
http://www.evalbum.com/1974