If Only It Were All Downhill

Bill Dennis
After two years, I finally got my EVision working again (it turned out to be
*two separate* wiring mistakes--who as the idiot who wired up that thing
anyway?)  Anyway, I've been gathering some data on my daily commute, which
is 13.25 miles mostly downhill in the morning, then 13.25 miles back uphill
in the evening.  I've been sure to take the same route both ways.

Elevation Change:  1700 ft.
Downhill:  118 Wh/mile
Uphill:    332 Wh/mile

I plan to keep track of the weekly average as I make aero mods to the car to
see how much each helps or doesn't.

Bill

Re: If Only It Were All Downhill

Mike Willmon
I like the downhill number better :-)  Need to find a house thats downhill
both ways to and from work  ;-P

But the uphill number isn't all that bad.  My Mightymax gets about 350
Wh/Mi on my mostly level 15 mile Round Trip commute.  But no aero mods and
regular lower pressure P rated tires.  I had LT-  Blizzaks on for winter
for two years but they were 44 psi.  So its about a wash running the non-
snow tires in P rated with only 35 psi.

Mike

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Bill Dennis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After two years, I finally got my EVision working again (it turned out to
> be
> *two separate* wiring mistakes--who as the idiot who wired up that thing
> anyway?)  Anyway, I've been gathering some data on my daily commute, which
> is 13.25 miles mostly downhill in the morning, then 13.25 miles back uphill
> in the evening.  I've been sure to take the same route both ways.
>
> Elevation Change:  1700 ft.
> Downhill:  118 Wh/mile
> Uphill:    332 Wh/mile
>
> I plan to keep track of the weekly average as I make aero mods to the car
> see how much each helps or doesn't.
>
> Bill

Re: If Only It Were All Downhill

Bill Dube
Climbing makes a very large difference in energy consumption.
Figuring out the exact amount of extra energy needed for the change
in altitude is one of the things that makes the Pike's Peak race
"interesting" for EVs. Almost a mile difference in altitude over the
12 mile course. The 156 turns make it even more "interesting".

Bill D.

At 02:44 PM 7/27/2012, you wrote:

>After two years, I finally got my EVision working again (it turned out to be
>*two separate* wiring mistakes--who as the idiot who wired up that thing
>anyway?)  Anyway, I've been gathering some data on my daily commute, which
>is 13.25 miles mostly downhill in the morning, then 13.25 miles back uphill
>in the evening.  I've been sure to take the same route both ways.
>
>Elevation Change:  1700 ft.
>Downhill:  118 Wh/mile
>Uphill:    332 Wh/mile
>
>I plan to keep track of the weekly average as I make aero mods to the car to
>see how much each helps or doesn't.
>
>Bill

Re: If Only It Were All Downhill

Cor van de Water
The energy gained is simply the difference in "Potential Energy"
compare that with a track that has the same curves but is level
and you should find that the extra energy consumed compared to driving
the same path "level" is only the added energy plus the usual
inefficiencies.

For example, I calculated the height difference and energy gained
to climb the 2700 ft Santa Cruz mountains before getting on my bicycle
with a 20Ah, 30V pack because I saw that the energy gained over this
elevation was less than half the energy in the pack, so I know that
I could make it to the top (and down was trivial - just avoid braking
as much as you dare and go up to 50 MPH flying on the straight.

Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203

At 02:44 PM 7/27/2012, you wrote:
>After two years, I finally got my EVision working again (it turned out
>to be *two separate* wiring mistakes--who as the idiot who wired up
>that thing
>anyway?)  Anyway, I've been gathering some data on my daily commute,
>which is 13.25 miles mostly downhill in the morning, then 13.25 miles
>back uphill in the evening.  I've been sure to take the same route both
ways.

>Elevation Change:  1700 ft.
>Downhill:  118 Wh/mile
>Uphill:    332 Wh/mile
>
>I plan to keep track of the weekly average as I make aero mods to the
>car to see how much each helps or doesn't.
>
>Bill

Re: If Only It Were All Downhill

Will Schmit
Of course, the D#$khead that is poking down the hill at half the speed limit (in front of you), is the same guy that is crawling up your taillights at twice the limit when you are hypermiling up to a red signal......

Email: [hidden email]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com