Insurance for Conversion in Illinois

Mike Brown-15
We have a customer in Naperville, IL whose insurance agent told him
that State Farm has a rule against insuring modified vehicles.  If
true, must be a very new rule, because I KNOW there are people on
this list who have insured conversions with State Farm.  But, anyway,
is there anyone in his neighborhood who can recommend an insurance
agent, State Farm or otherwise, to insure a conversion?

Thanks for any help.

Mike Brown
Electro Automotive, POB 1113, Felton, CA  95018-1113 Phone 831-429-1989
http://www.electroauto.com  email [hidden email]
Electric Car Conversion Kits * Components * Books * Videos * Since 1979

Re: Insurance for Conversion in Illinois

Mike Nickerson
I just insured the conversion I bought with State Farm, here in Idaho.  They
didn't seem to fuss at all.

I don't have any suggestion on agents, but I don't think it's a fixed
policy.  If it is, I may be in for a surprise down the road.  I did
everything I could think of to make sure they knew ahead of time it was a
conversion.  Because it has lithium cells, its value is quite a bit higher
than a similar model with an ICE.

Mike

Re: Insurance for Conversion in Illinois

SLPinfo.org
I have my EV insured as a modified vehicle through Progressive.  I had to provide receipts to show it was worth the stated value ($15K in my case).

Many agents at Progressive don't even realize they allow such policies.  My agent had to do some searching on their system to find it and set it up.  But my policy documents clearly show it.
Peter Flipsen Jr

Re: Insurance for Conversion in Illinois

Ruspert
What type of insurance is the person wanting?  PD&L should be no problem. In Michigan ,no fault PD&L is mandated so a vehicle must  be insured to get it registered, that is the way it is set up, the insurers have a piece if cake, you can only collect under PD&L from your own policy.  The Secretary o State does not care what is powering the vehicle, only that it has no fault insurance and the registration fee is paid, then a registration plate is issued.

On 16 Aug 2010 at 16:18, Mike Brown wrote:

> We have a customer in Naperville, IL whose insurance agent told him
> that State Farm has a rule against insuring modified vehicles.

I've read this here on the EVDL many times over the years.  Invariably
someone will respond that he has State Farm and they issued a policy with no
complaints.  It doesn't seem to be a corporate matter, but rather a local
one.

As with many matters, it seems to depend on your local agent's interest and
perseverence.  If he or she wants your business, the agent will take the
time to track down the right person to talk to, and you'll get at least a
liability policy.

FWIW, Westfield has insured my EVs for many years.

Note: mail sent to "evpost" an "etpost" addresses will not

Re: Insurance for Conversion in Illinois

Mike Nickerson
I had previously responded that State Farm had insured my conversion without
any problems.  I stand corrected.  I just received the official letter in
the mail (from the home office) canceling my policy because it was an
electric vehicle conversion.  The letter didn't say, but the agent's people
told me over the phone that their underwriters would have accepted if the
conversion was done by a "manufacturer" but not done by a private person.

This was after I had specifically called the agent and asked if they would
cover the EV conversion, before I bought it.  I'm obviously more than a
little pissed.

The agent did go as far as finding another local insurance firm that will
insure the conversion.  It is Farm Bureau Insurance.  I'm not sure how wide
an area they cover.  I also don't know their rate yet.  If their rates are
reasonable, they will get a chance to bid for all my other insurance too.  I
told my agent this and it sounds like he tried to change the mind of the
underwriters without success.  I think he knows that he stands to lose quite
a bit of money because I've been a very good customer for many years.

Mike

On 16 Aug 2010 at 16:18, Mike Brown wrote:

> We have a customer in Naperville, IL whose insurance agent told him
> that State Farm has a rule against insuring modified vehicles.

I've read this here on the EVDL many times over the years.  Invariably
someone will respond that he has State Farm and they issued a policy with no
complaints.  It doesn't seem to be a corporate matter, but rather a local
one.

As with many matters, it seems to depend on your local agent's interest and
perseverence.  If he or she wants your business, the agent will take the
time to track down the right person to talk to, and you'll get at least a
liability policy.

FWIW, Westfield has insured my EVs for many years.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = EVDL Information:
http://www.evdl.org/help/ = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
= = = =
Note: mail sent to "evpost" an "etpost" addresses will not reach me.  To
http://www.evdl.org/help/ .

Re: Insurance for Conversion in Illinois

Sure, I also went to my local Farmers agent where I already
had a renters insurance and a car (Liability only) insurance
for my Prius to add another line for my Electric S10.
Since I did not request anything more than liability, the
agent was personally interested in my Electric Vehicle but
for the insurance the only took a look at the vehicle to see
if it was in decent running condition and arranged the extra
insurance which increased my premium by something like $20 a
month, it was insured as regular S10 under its original VIN.

If you want to insure for declared value then it may be
quite a bit different, but I was only concerned about running
my vehicle into something valueable, not the value of my EV

Director HW & Systems Architecture Group
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [hidden email]
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203 XoIP: +31877841130

On 16 Aug 2010 at 16:18, Mike Brown wrote:

> We have a customer in Naperville, IL whose insurance agent told him
> that State Farm has a rule against insuring modified vehicles.

I've read this here on the EVDL many times over the years.  Invariably
someone will respond that he has State Farm and they issued a policy
with no complaints.  It doesn't seem to be a corporate matter, but
rather a local one.

As with many matters, it seems to depend on your local agent's interest
and perseverence.  If he or she wants your business, the agent will take
the time to track down the right person to talk to, and you'll get at
least a liability policy.

FWIW, Westfield has insured my EVs for many years.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = EVDL
Information:
http://www.evdl.org/help/ = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
= = = = = =
Note: mail sent to "evpost" an "etpost" addresses will not reach me.  To
http://www.evdl.org/help/ .

Re: Insurance for Conversion in Illinois

Peter VanDerWal
FWIW, I'm pretty sure that State Farm and Farmers are completely different
companies.

In my town Farmers insurance was willing to insure my EV until they found
out it was registers as a Self Assembled vehicle, and they don't insure
those.

The only company in town that would insure a Self Assembled EV was
Progressive.

> Sure, I also went to my local Farmers agent where I already
> had a renters insurance and a car (Liability only) insurance
> for my Prius to add another line for my Electric S10.
> Since I did not request anything more than liability, the
> agent was personally interested in my Electric Vehicle but
> for the insurance the only took a look at the vehicle to see
> if it was in decent running condition and arranged the extra
> insurance which increased my premium by something like $20 a
> month, it was insured as regular S10 under its original VIN.
>
> If you want to insure for declared value then it may be
> quite a bit different, but I was only concerned about running
> my vehicle into something valueable, not the value of my EV
>
> Regards,
>
> Cor van de Water
> Director HW & Systems Architecture Group
> Email: [hidden email]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
> Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [hidden email]
> Tel: +1 408 383 7626        VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
> Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203 XoIP: +31877841130

Richard Hamje
When insuring my EV, I tried Farmer's first as they were my agent for homeowners and my other car.  They couldn't cover it, so sent me to State Farm.  No luck with them.  Allstate wouldn't cover it, or GEICO.  I ended up with Progressive.  I have a "stated value" policy.  It is not specifically for an EV, but is most commonly used for show cars and antiques.  My conversion is a 1973 VW Fastback which has a blue book value of zero (as the original ICE car).  Hence the need for the stated value - I simply told them that I wanted it insured for $30,000 and they provided the policy.  I did not have to provide receipts to prove the value, although I could have.  The insurance is expensive - about $2,200 per year.

I think the miles you drive the car also has an effect on the cost (I drive very little).  Show cars are rarely driven.  If you put 10,000 miles a year on the EV you may have a problem.

Progressive is available in Illinois.

Good luck,
Richard

Richard Hamje
822 SE 45th Avenue
Portland, OR  97215
503-805-8829

Re: Insurance for Conversion in Illinois

Ruspert
Richard,
For the cost of $2200 a year I would strongly consider self insurance (take the risk).

Re: Insurance for Conversion in Illinois

Zeke Yewdall
That's not an option in some states unless you are a large corporation that
can put up a sufficient sized bond...

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Ruspert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Richard,
> For the cost of $2200 a year I would strongly consider self insurance (take
> the risk).
> Nabble.com.

Re: Insurance for Conversion in Illinois

All you need is liability on your self.  The car does not paid the
liability, you do.  I tested the insurance companies when I shop for
insurance.  I said, if you are driving a million dollar car or a 500 dollar
shop truck with I-beam bumpers on it and it hit the same car and applied
damage to another same car, why does the liability cost more on the higher
value car?

In fact that latter higher cost car may applied less damage then the shop
truck.

In 55 years of driving, I had only $27.00 of damage that I cause to my car
while backing up in a State Farm parking lot while I just got the insurance
and hit a light pole which scratch the lacquer paint.

Lets say you have multiple cars, that only you drive yourself, then you can
get one liability coverage to cover all the cars.  Only one car can be
driven at a time anyway.  I can take my insurance card and drive any car,
your car or a rental car and it will be cover.

Now if I rent a car, my liability covers it. Just make sure you carry the
insurance card with you. For collision coverage, this is handle by some
credit card companies which my will cover for up to $25,000.00 if the card
is use to purchase the rental.

> That's not an option in some states unless you are a large corporation
> that
> can put up a sufficient sized bond...

> On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Ruspert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > Richard,
> > For the cost of $2200 a year I would strongly consider self insurance
> > (take
> > the risk).
> > --
> > Nabble.com.

Re: Insurance for Conversion in Illinois

Zeke Yewdall
I wish that was the way it was in Colorado.....  here you cannot register a
car till you show there is insurance on the car itself -- it doesn't matter
than I have four other cars already insured, and can only drive one at a
time....  :(

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Roland Wiench <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All you need is liability on your self.  The car does not paid the
> liability, you do.  I tested the insurance companies when I shop for
> insurance.  I said, if you are driving a million dollar car or a 500 dollar
> shop truck with I-beam bumpers on it and it hit the same car and applied
> damage to another same car, why does the liability cost more on the higher
> value car?
>
> In fact that latter higher cost car may applied less damage then the shop
> truck.
>
> In 55 years of driving, I had only $27.00 of damage that I cause to my car
> while backing up in a State Farm parking lot while I just got the insurance
> and hit a light pole which scratch the lacquer paint.
>
> Lets say you have multiple cars, that only you drive yourself, then you can
> get one liability coverage to cover all the cars.  Only one car can be
> driven at a time anyway.  I can take my insurance card and drive any car,
> your car or a rental car and it will be cover.
>
> Now if I rent a car, my liability covers it. Just make sure you carry the
> insurance card with you. For collision coverage, this is handle by some
> credit card companies which my will cover for up to $25,000.00 if the card
> is use to purchase the rental.
>
> Roland

Mike Willmon
But if you have 4 other cars then adding an additional car for liability only should be pretty straight forward.  I cannot add
another vehicle for free, but I get a significantly reduced rate on "liability only" for an additional car because of their multiple
vehicle discount.

Funny thing too, my insurance company just sent me an offer to cover the Pinto under a "declared value" classic car policy because
its over 25 years old.  Too funny :-)

Mike

The problem with liability only is the investment you have in your conversion.  I make no claim to be perfect and if the accident is my fault then I am out all the mone for the conversion.  I took out a loan to do the conversion (using my other car as collateral) and I'm still paying it off.  I need collision coverage or I risk being stuck making payments on a car that doesn't run. Progressive and Farmers were the only companies I found who would give me that and Progressive was cheaper.

Peter Flipsen Jr.

Mike Willmon wrote:
>> I wish that was the way it was in Colorado.....  here you cannot register a
>> car till you show there is insurance on the car itself -- it doesn't matter
>> than I have four other cars already insured, and can only drive one at a
>> time....  :(

Can you get a dealer plate? With them, you usually have one plate and move it from car to car as needed. You still need insurance, but it's a flat rate that only covers liability. It won't pay for damage to *your* car, because they don't what car you have the plate stuck on at the moment ($100,000 Ferrari or $100 beater).
--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget the perfect offering

This is meant for coverage pertaining to damage to the EV, not PD&L, which should be  easily obtained at reasonable cost.

Re: Insurance for Conversion in Illinois

Ruspert
In Michigan each vehicle must have a separate insurance policy for PD&L (no fault) even if there is only one driver and only one vehicle will be driven at a time. It is unfair, but a boon for the insurers and there is nothing that can be done about it as the law at present requires it.

Re: Insurance for Conversion in Illinois

Pestka, Dennis J
Mike;

I insured my 65 Datsun that way.
Put a $10,000 value on it and it costs me $220 a year.

Thanks;
Dennis
Elsberry, MO
http://www.evalbum.com/1366