Interesting ways to obtain a glider.

Dennis Miles
To the newbies, and a few experienced converters, there are several ways to
obtain a Glider at a reasonable price.  (Theft is not on my list.)  I most
areas there are a number of entrepreneurs who advertise that they buy and
haul away “JUNK” vehicles. Their ads are on “Craig’s list,” in Local
Newspapers and sometimes stuck in the ground like Political signs. Call a
couple and ask what would give for a ‘68 rabbit diesel that has a blown
engine, or what ever you want for a glider to find the going price. Then
put your own ad up and when you get a call ask what they are scrapping, are
any windows broken, tires holding air, any body damage, good title with no
liens? And if you want it offer what the other guy you called said he would
pay for it. If they are agreeable use your trailer or a friends trailer or
rent a car trailer from a rental agency like “U-Haul” for a local haul and
go pick it up, get the title signed ! And haul it home (They will want
cash!)  It is yours…

When you prepare it strip out the motor if it won’t run. If it runs sell it
in the car for more money and let them pull it out… Get CASH !  Sell the
catalytic converter for over $50 and the fuel pump in the tank for over
$100 those are average values here but it may be different in your region.

A technique I have seen successfully applied is to post a few signs or ads
asking for someone to give you an unwanted car, this as a great EAA/EVA
chapter project. The cars you get you don’t want you sell to the guy who
gives $400 for each one and use that cash for the project too.   (There are
always those who find it appealing that you want to take their junk and
make something of it. ) I knew one electronics student who asked for older
working TV sets to practice on. He was given so many that worked he started
selling them at a flea market. And he sold $200 or $300  each weekend (five
or six working TV and audio systems each weekend)  People would call him
when they bought a new set to pick up the old (and working ) one. That
seldom works for cars … I have called the guy buying cars for $200 to $400
advertising in my area and he will sell one for $750 and deliver it with
signed title to my house. That saves him a trip to the shredder and having
to remove all windows, gas tank, battery, and some other parts before
shredder will accept it…

In Tampa 50 miles from me is a used car lot that sells “Mechanic’s
Specials”  which are vehicles in need of repair, and they sell at very
reasonable prices.  Perhaps there is one within reasonable distance from
you ? Always be sure to get a valid “Title” or whatever ownership
documentation is used where you live.

Also make sure there is no “Lien” against it or you may have to pay off a
debt the previous owner tried to forget…

Pick the one in the best condition as repairing it may become expensive and
time consuming.

For some of you this is just worthless information, Sorry about that, and
for some these tips may be inspiring

*Dennis Lee Miles*   (863)944-9913 (call noon to midnight Eastern time)
*[hidden email]*
*+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++*
*Offering a 12 day class Sept. 10 to 22, 2012 *
*in Central Florida. more info on Web;
WWW.ElectricVehicleTechnicalinstitute.COM<http://www.electricvehicletechnicalinstitute.com/>
*

Re: Interesting ways to obtain a glider.

Cor van de Water
Also scan ads from (or call) local charities that accept car donations.
Several here in the area take in any car and when it is in reasonable
shape
they sell those again (on Craigslist or they might have a store where
they
also have those cars in the lot) or otherwise it will be parted out or
goes to the junkyard.
I almost bought a non-running but otherwise in good condition car
from a local charity that they offered for cheap, but I was not in town
so I could not get the $600 to them in time...

Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203

Re: Interesting ways to obtain a glider.

Rick Beebe
On 7/13/2012 7:42 PM, Dennis Miles wrote:
> In Tampa 50 miles from me is a used car lot that sells “Mechanic’s
> Specials”  which are vehicles in need of repair, and they sell at very
> reasonable prices.  Perhaps there is one within reasonable distance from
> you ? Always be sure to get a valid “Title” or whatever ownership
> documentation is used where you live.

Be aware (or wary) of vehicles with salvage titles and know your state's
stand on them. Friend of mine bought a Saturn wagon as a salvage at a
very good price but had the devil's own time registering it in
Connecticut when he was done. He succeeded but it wasn't a fun experience.

--Rick

Re: Interesting ways to obtain a glider.

gottdi
Dennis Miles wrote
68 rabbit diesel
I'd love to find a running 68 VW Diesel Rabbit. That would be a collector item for sure.  :)

Pete :)

http://onegreenev.blogspot.com/
No need to wait any longer. You can now buy one off the shelf. You can still build one too.