Invasion of the e-scooters: dirt-cheap, marketing.cn, abusively used

Invasion of the e-scooters: dirt-cheap, marketing.cn, abusively used

% What seems like eons (decades) ago, I paid way to much ($900 in the 90's)
for a zappy e-scooter
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC2.A0.H0.XZAP-Zappy+Electric.TRS3&_nkw=ZAP-Zappy+Electric&_sacat=0
 even though it was really made for a kid, and this tall-svelte-galoot (me)
looked ridiculous using it, I found it quite handy in my EVangel efforts at
EVents (last use was near 2000 @LA's CARB site way back when GM announced
they weren't going to make EV1's anymore. I used it to show arriving EV
drivers where CARB's EVSE was located) ...
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EV-Chargers-at-the-SCAQMD-tp4685337p4685344.html

Was BruceDP ahead of his time? ...
 (or earning way more money than had fashion-sense?)

Zappies never really took off because they were child size, expensive, the
low kWh capaciity agm PbSO4 battery had a short range& cycle-life, and the
charger was incredible weak/slow.

So, what is all the e-scooter fuss about? (see the news links at the
bottom). It seems the e-scooter market is being flooded with cheap $100
range junk: ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUNdBOOM-250w-electric-BIRD-kick-scooter-Xiaomi-M365/173420525285?hash=item2860ab36e5%3Ag%3AINYAAOSwt5dbUhJP&_sacat=0&_nkw=bird+Electric+Scooter&LH_BIN=1&_from=R40&rt=nc
electric BIRD kick scooter (Xiaomi M365)

cheaper
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-kick-scooter-12-mph-200-Watt-foldable-E-scooter/142780928602?hash=item213e68125a%3Ag%3AX7UAAOSwImRYHAKh&_udlo=100&_sop=15&_udhi=200&_nkw=Xiaomi+Electric+Scooter&LH_BIN=1&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0
Electric kick scooter 12 mph 200 Watt,foldable E-scooter

cheaper still
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Razor-Electric-Scooter-Red-E175-New-in-Box/113121734329?epid=1100324372&hash=item1a5694aeb9%3Ag%3Ac0oAAOSwaZFbEbz-&_udlo=100&_sop=15&_udhi=200&_nkw=Xiaomi+Electric+Scooter&LH_BIN=1&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0
Razor Electric Scooter Red E175

 The BIG HOOPLA is over how irresponsible e-scooter riders have been (like
children leaving their toys everywhere for adults to trip over). There was a
(actor-promo) skit/bit as part of Conan's San Diego Comic-con show
(teamcoco.com/comiccon) that mentioned all those e-scooter were being left
all over the place when the (sci-fi) actor came and rode it off stage ...

[video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO8CjGALp4E
Norman Reedus Parked His E-Scooter At #ConanCon - CONAN on TBS
Team Coco  Published on Jul 20, 2018
A certain "Walking Dead" actor left his electric scooter on the #ConanCon
stage.
]

 Below are some e-scooter news links .
(IMO) All this negative e-scooter media coverage is not helping the
EV-cause. %

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local/electric-scooters-available-to-rent-in-st-louis/63-575437740
Electric scooters available to rent in St. Louis
July 19, 2018 · 10h  On Your Side saw several of the scooters near Busch
Stadium and the Arch. Bird is a last-mile electric vehicle sharing comp...
Officials will vote on Bird next week
https://media.ksdk.com/assets/KSDK/images/575518291/575518291_750x422.png
https://www.stltoday.com/business/local/update-after-launching-without-a-permit-bird-to-pull-electric/article_e831e390-5a38-5074-b28c-096dc679a35b.html
Update: After launching without a permit, Bird to pull electric scooters off
St. Louis streets
Jul 20, 2018  · 2h  LOUIS - Dozens of Bird electric scooters that popped up
on downtown sidewalks ... was operating without a required permit and ...
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/stltoday.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/4/4a/44a6d57d-66e0-5d64-abc9-344f69564fe0/5b50d1e538d2b.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C900

http://theconversation.com/electric-scooters-on-collision-course-with-pedestrians-and-lawmakers-99654
Electric scooters on collision course with pedestrians and lawmakers
Jul 18, 2018  There was a crash and minor injuries to the rider, but a
tragedy was avoided. ... a warning about the dangers posed by the electric
vehicles that have rapidly ...
https://images.theconversation.com/files/228069/original/file-20180717-44076-7conxy.jpg?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&q=45&auto=format&w=926&fit=clip

http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Bird-e-scooter-held-hostage-Rider-Crashed-Into-BMW-Ran-Away-v-tp4690484.html
Bird e-scooter held-hostage: Rider Crashed Into BMW& Ran Away (v)
... EVcrash: ice hit&run injured 2 Nashville-TN e-scooter women Bird scooter
... the ride sharing electric scooter service, found on Lower Broadway.
Nashville has sent the company a cease and...
Jul 06 2018

http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Bird-e-scooter-held-hostage-Rider-Crashed-Into-BMW-Ran-Away-v-tp4690484.html
EV gig economy: Mad, twisted e-scooter craze> sabotaged (v)
The mad, twisted tale of the electric scooter craze
May 31 2018

http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Wrong-way-Insurance-Scammer-my-Stoopids-an-e-scooter-fakey-v-tp4690579.html
Wrong-way Insurance-Scammer.my Stoopids an e-scooter fakey (v)
Jul 17 2018
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_the_Body_Snatchers
Invasion of the Body Snatchers ...

Bird e-scooters ruffle Indianapolis’ feathers w/ surprise launch

% marketing.cn %

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/bird-electric-scooter-cincinnati/
Bird electric scooters ruffle city officials’ feathers with surprise launch
7.28.18  Electric scooters don’t fit Ohio’s traditional vehicle
classifications ... Indianapolis issued a cease-and-desist order, Bird
eventually complied after 1st ignoring the order ...

http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=413529&query=bird+scooters&days=0&sort=date
search evdl archive for  bird scooters

UC sez the dangers posed by the electric vehicles: Invasion of the e-scooters

https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/electric-scooters-collision-course-pedestrians-and-lawmakers
Electric scooters on collision course with pedestrians and lawmakers
Jul 18, 2018  There was a crash and minor injuries to the rider, but a
tragedy was avoided. I consider this event a warning about the dangers posed
by the electric vehicles
https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/sites/default/files/scooter-sidewalk-uc-san-diego.jpg

https://la.curbed.com/2018/8/1/17640456/bird-lime-scooter-ban-los-angeles
LA lawmaker wants to temporarily ban electric scooters
Aug 1, 2018  Los Angeles officials are considering new regulations for
electric scooters that have flooded the streets of Westside communities, but
at least two City Councilmembers want to ban the vehicles ...
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/gQrMDhRr8yCp5w4k2B5S4FcHVGc=/0x0:6492x4328/920x613/filters:focal(2727x1645:3765x2683)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/60697463/shutterstock_1062966512.0.jpg