Isolated DC/DC halfbrick 150W 36-75V input, 5V or 15V output

Isolated DC/DC halfbrick 150W 36-75V input, 5V or 15V output

Cor van de Water
I have several 48V input Lucent/Tyco JW150A1 and
JW150C1 and compatible half bricks, they provide
isolation of 1500V DC, are over-temp protected,
short circuit protected, voltage can be trimmed
and they have remote sensing capability.
There is also a remote on/off pin which makes
it easy to avoid power draw while you are
pre-charging for example. Pulling this pin
low (1mA, below 1.2V) enables the output.
Letting it float disables the DC/DC converter.
Max continous input voltage 80V
MTBF 2,600,000 hr if that is important to you.
Isolated output of the JW150A1: 5V 30A
(current limit at 35A) and trim range
from 60% to 110% of nominal output (3 to 5.5V).
Isolated output of the JW150C1: 15V 10A
(current limit at 11A) and trim range
from 50% to 103% of nominal output (7.5 to 15.5V).
The bricks are about 61x58x13mm (2.4x2.3x0.5")
and have a 25mm (1") heatsink pre-mounted.
The bricks are soldered into a power supply
board with one 5V and one 15V unit plus filtering.
I know that 6 boards can ship in a medium flat rate box.

Let me know if you are interested, they were scrap
but I like to salvage good parts like these as they
can easily help someone with a low voltage pack
to build a 12V battery maintainer or even use it
as an overkill for e-meter isolated powering.
They might be the best choice if you want individual
high speed charging of batteries, for example
pumping 35A 3.6V into each LiIon cell, from a bulk
48V power supply or solar battery bank (dump charge).
Can send you a datasheet if desired, let me know.

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203

Re: Isolated DC/DC halfbrick 150W 36-75V input, 5V or 15V output

Bill Dennis
Can the outputs of the 15V units be parallel?  Could I put one unit on each half of a 120V pack and parallel the outputs to get 15V, 20A?
Thanks.

Bill

Re: Isolated DC/DC halfbrick 150W 36-75V input, 5V or 15V output

Cor van de Water
Hi Bill,
Yes that should be possible as they are isolated.
The only drawback is that there is a risk of unbalance
(if you need less than 20A and the bricks are not
fine-tuned to deliver the same voltage, then the one
set to the highest voltage will be delivering the max
current up to its 11A current limit while the other is
only supplying the leftovers.
This can be countered by using the trim input to make
the outputs exactly equal and if possible in your
application, also adding some series resistance between
each brick and the load. This can be simply a few feet
of wire between each brick's +15 output and the load,
so that a small voltage drop occurs between each brick's
output and the load, this allows a slight variation of the
output voltage without extreme changes in the current it
supplies, so they will share the load and the pack will
remain balanced better.
For example if the wire gauge & lenght is selected to have
0.03 Ohms resistance then you drop 0.3V at 10A. If the
bricks are 3 milliVolt different in output then without
series resistance that could mean one delivers all current
up to 11A but with the added wire on each brick, the drop
in the wire must differ by 3mV and due to the 30mOhm wire
resistance, this means only 100mA difference between the
two bricks, for example one supplying 5A and the other 4.9A
instead of one delivering 9.9A and the other 0A.

This also works if you need more than 20A, take 4 bricks
and run a pair from each half of your pack to get 40A.
(I think about 45A current limit).
Just make sure each brick has its own wire to connect to
the load and the resistance of the wires are identical and
the output voltage of each brick is the same.

Hope this clarifies,

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203

Re: Isolated DC/DC halfbrick 150W 36-75V input, 5V or 15V output

Cruisin
can the input on 2 of the half bricks be connected in series with a 150v pack?

Re: Isolated DC/DC halfbrick 150W 36-75V input, 5V or 15V output

Lee Hart
On 9/14/2011 10:27 AM, Cruisin wrote:
> can the input on 2 of the half bricks be connected in series with a 150v
> pack?

No, you wouldn't want to do that. They won't share the load equally, so
the voltage won't divide equally on their inputs.

You could design a circuit that forces them to split the input equally.
But I think a better way would be to tap the pack in the middle an power
each DC/DC with its own half-pack. Done right, this won't unbalance the
pack.

Also, consider that most of these DC/DC "bricks" aren't a complete DC/DC
converter. They don't have input or output fuses, EMI filters,
overvoltage or undervoltage protection, etc. An EV pack's voltage varies
dramatically, and can easily murder the DC/DC from transients or voltage
extremes.

Re: Isolated DC/DC halfbrick 150W 36-75V input, 5V or 15V output

Cor van de Water
As Lee said,
You need a way to protect them.
The bricks I have are already mounted on PC boards
since they are essentially a full power supply, so
the board has input filtering, fuses and protection
and carries one of each (5V and 15V) devices.
My main convern with your 150V pack however would be
the voltage under charge if you split the input
between two devices, you can easily go over the
highest permissible 80V per brick (160V on your pack)
so I suggest that you would use 3 bricks and tap the
pack in 2 places to supply 50V to each brick.
That is much closer to the nominal 48V for which
these bricks were designed.

Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203

> can the input on 2 of the half bricks be connected in series with a
> 150v pack?

No, you wouldn't want to do that. They won't share the load equally, so
the voltage won't divide equally on their inputs.

You could design a circuit that forces them to split the input equally.
But I think a better way would be to tap the pack in the middle an power
each DC/DC with its own half-pack. Done right, this won't unbalance the
pack.

Also, consider that most of these DC/DC "bricks" aren't a complete DC/DC
converter. They don't have input or output fuses, EMI filters,
overvoltage or undervoltage protection, etc. An EV pack's voltage varies
dramatically, and can easily murder the DC/DC from transients or voltage
extremes.

Re: Isolated DC/DC halfbrick 150W 36-75V input, 5V or 15V output

Rush Dougherty
And with 3 bricks you'll have 3 times the cost, time and space needed for filters, fusing and
protection...

Why not just go with one brick for your 160v pack voltage and make one board with the protection
needed.?

Rush
www.TucsonEV.com