J1772 ADAPTER

drdhdmd
I just purchased a J1772 inlet, EVC-I-75A-600P-5 to make an adapter so I can charge the eLectricDeLorean at the new public chargers.

It comes with 5 feet of #6 wire as the main conductors. It also has a 2.7k ohm resistor pre-installed between pins 3 and 4.

All the circuits I have seen to make the adapter show a diode in series with this resistor. Where can I find more info on the need for the diode? Also what would be the best way to connect an LED to the adapter to indicate when the power is on?
Thank you,

David Delman
eLectricDeLorean.com

Re: J1772 ADAPTER

Bill Dennis
If you're talking about the diode I'm thinking of, then it's there for safety reasons and to avoid false positives.  The 1K signal alternates between +12V and -12V.  The diode blocks the -12V, letting the circuit see only the +12V.  If someone (for example, a child) touches a couple of pins, bypassing the diode with his body, then the circuit will see both +12V and -12V. and will know that this is a false signal.

Bill

Re: J1772 ADAPTER

Daniel Busby
The diode is needed for the proper J1772 pilot signal.  Make sure the anode
points towards the pilot line, not the ground.  The resistor value should be
between 856 and 908.  The strict code expects a mid-point setting of
"connected but not ready to charge".  A hardwired resistor-diode won't work
for companies that strictly meet the J1772 standard.  Luckily most EVSEs
don't care about this.  I've tried a few chargers and never had a problem.

-D

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 12:59 PM, WILLIAM DENNIS Owner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you're talking about the diode I'm thinking of, then it's there for
> safety reasons and to avoid false positives.  The 1K signal alternates
> between +12V and -12V.  The diode blocks the -12V, letting the circuit see
> only the +12V.  If someone (for example, a child) touches a couple of pins,
> bypassing the diode with his body, then the circuit will see both +12V and
> -12V. and will know that this is a false signal.
>
> Bill

Re: J1772 ADAPTER

Tom Keenan
Here is some info from a drawing I've seen regarding older J1772 EVSE
(Avcon).  The protocol is still the same, but now has a different end
connector (Yazaki).

The 2.7 k ohm resistor signals the duty cycle/voltage that is available on
the incoming line.  2.7 k ohm is for 240v.  I believe 208v has a different
value, but I don't have the exact number.  Some chargers may pay attention
to this resistor.  Some just expect that they will be using 220v - 240v, and
disregard the 2.7 k ohm value or interpret it as a 'connected but not ready'
signal.

The diode can be a 20ma/silicon diode that can handle 30v continuously (such
as a 1N4002). Band toward ground pin.  Its use is to rectify the square wave
AC signal to tell the charger if the plug is connected, and what state the
vehicle charger is in.

Smarter charging stations sense one of four values, and various resistors
can be switched in/out to change the charging station from 'standby' to
'charging'.  Charging station operation depends on the resistance/voltage it
senses:

Open (12v square wave AC signal) Vehicle Disconnected
2740 ohms (half-rectified DC through the diode) - not ready to charge
887 ohms (half-rectified DC through the diode)  - sealed batteries
249 ohms (half-rectified DC through the diode)  - flooded batteries

The difference between 887 and 249 ohms was to enable a fan for ventilating
battery boxes in vehicles with flooded batteries.  Lithium battery packs
that also have ventilation needs might also use 887 ohms - 249 is passé, and
may be interpreted by newer stations as a short, disabling the charging
station.  If the charging cable is excessively long, sometimes the resistor
values need to be changed to allow the proper resistance/voltage seen at the
charging station in order to work properly.

Tom Keenan

Re: J1772 ADAPTER

Ricky Suiter
I'll second that. I set one up with a 890 ohm  measured set of resistors (what I had on hand) plus a diode and tested it with a Chevrolet 120V EVSE, a Nissan 120V EVSE and a Blink 240V EVSE, they all clicked on.

Regards,
Rick Suiter
Elite Power Solutions LLC

------------------------------

>Message: 4
>Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 13:24:49 -0700
>From: Daniel Busby <[hidden email]>
>Subject: Re: [EVDL] J1772 ADAPTER
>To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <[hidden email]>
>
>The diode is needed for the proper J1772 pilot signal.  Make sure the anode
>points towards the pilot line, not the ground.  The resistor value should be
>between 856 and 908.  The strict code expects a mid-point setting of
>"connected but not ready to charge".  A hardwired resistor-diode won't work
>for companies that strictly meet the J1772 standard.  Luckily most EVSEs
>don't care about this.  I've tried a few chargers and never had a problem.
>
>-D
>
>On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 12:59 PM, WILLIAM DENNIS Owner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If you're talking about the diode I'm thinking of, then it's there for
>> safety reasons and to avoid false positives.  The 1K signal alternates
>> between +12V and -12V.  The diode blocks the -12V, letting the circuit see
>> only the +12V.  If someone (for example, a child) touches a couple of pins,
>> bypassing the diode with his body, then the circuit will see both +12V and
>> -12V. and will know that this is a false signal.
>>
>> Bill

Cor van de Water
Cool, now a company to deliver pigtails with standard
plugs (NEMA 5-15, 6-20 and NEMA 15-50 for example)
and a J1772 plug for the "standard" EVs.
And a J1772 inlet with standard NEMA outlet for the
home conversions.... for not too much money!

Note that if you ever find an EVSE complain that it
should first see "connected but not ready to charge"
then you can install a normally-on pushbutton that
when pushed disconnects to give the higher resistance
and when released shorts the additional resistance to
return to the "charging" mode.

Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
I'll second that. I set one up with a 890 ohm  measured set of resistors (what I had on hand) plus a diode and tested it with a Chevrolet 120V EVSE, a Nissan 120V EVSE and a Blink 240V EVSE, they all clicked on.

Regards,
Rick Suiter
Elite Power Solutions LLC

------------------------------

>Message: 4
>Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 13:24:49 -0700
>From: Daniel Busby <[hidden email]>
>Subject: Re: [EVDL] J1772 ADAPTER
>To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <[hidden email]>
><CAFOAdB0QV7Ah14kT5LZB0N-8avk5MFet=[hidden email]>
>
>The diode is needed for the proper J1772 pilot signal.  Make sure the
>anode points towards the pilot line, not the ground.  The resistor
>value should be between 856 and 908.  The strict code expects a
>mid-point setting of "connected but not ready to charge".  A hardwired
>resistor-diode won't work for companies that strictly meet the J1772
>standard.  Luckily most EVSEs don't care about this.  I've tried a few chargers and never had a problem.
>
>-D
>
>On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 12:59 PM, WILLIAM DENNIS Owner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If you're talking about the diode I'm thinking of, then it's there
>> for safety reasons and to avoid false positives.  The 1K signal
>> alternates between +12V and -12V.  The diode blocks the -12V, letting
>> the circuit see only the +12V.  If someone (for example, a child)
>> touches a couple of pins, bypassing the diode with his body, then the
>> circuit will see both +12V and -12V. and will know that this is a false signal.
>>
>> Bill

Re: J1772 ADAPTER

Daniel Busby
It's an easy fix, but I haven't found a charger that needs it, yet.

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 11:37 PM, Cor van de Water <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Cool, now a company to deliver pigtails with standard
> plugs (NEMA 5-15, 6-20 and NEMA 15-50 for example)
> and a J1772 plug for the "standard" EVs.
> And a J1772 inlet with standard NEMA outlet for the
> home conversions.... for not too much money!
>
> Note that if you ever find an EVSE complain that it
> should first see "connected but not ready to charge"
> then you can install a normally-on pushbutton that
> when pushed disconnects to give the higher resistance
> and when released shorts the additional resistance to
> return to the "charging" mode.
>
> Regards,
>
> Cor van de Water
> Chief Scientist
> Email: [hidden email]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
> Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
> Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203

Re: J1772 ADAPTER

drdhdmd
Thanks for all the replies.  It seems that the purpose of the diode is  to
prevent the power from turning on if a purely resistive load is sensed.
This is a safety measure.

So the question still is, why ITT - Canon would build cables with a built
in 2.7k ohm resistor directly  from the control Pilot signal to ground,
when all the literature seems to say you need a diode in series with it?   Or
perhaps you can just put the diode in series with the 1.3k ohm resistor that
says the car is ready to charge?

Perhaps I should be asking ITT - Canon!

Thank  you,

Dave Delman
1981 Electric DeLorean  Project
electricdelorean.com
_http://evalbum.com/1482_ (http://evalbum.com/1482)

Re: J1772 ADAPTER

Roger Stockton
[hidden email] wrote:

> So the question still is, why ITT - Canon would build cables with a built
> in 2.7k ohm resistor directly  from the control Pilot signal to ground,
> when all the literature seems to say you need a diode in series with it?

Could you be confusing the pilot signal wire with the one that connects to the switch activated by the release button on the J1772 plug?

Cheers,

Roger.

Re: J1772 ADAPTER

Evan Tuer
On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 11:57 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies.  It seems that the purpose of the diode is  to
> prevent the power from turning on if a purely resistive load is sensed.
> This is a safety measure.
>
> So the question still is, why ITT - Canon would build cables with a built
> in 2.7k ohm resistor directly  from the control Pilot signal to ground,
> when all the literature seems to say you need a diode in series with it?   Or
> perhaps you can just put the diode in series with the 1.3k ohm resistor that
> says the car is ready to charge?

I think there is some confusion here.  According to the version of
spec I've seen, the vehicle inlet should have a 2.7K pull down, but it
is on the plug-present pin, NOT the control pilot.

The cable should certainly have no diodes in it, otherwise the EVSE
will detect the cable as a vehicle and energise it with the free end
not connected, defeating the whole exercise.

Re: J1772 ADAPTER

Mike Scott-13
To add to the confusion, at least some of the ITT inlets have the pilot pin
wired with the orange wire, while the blue wire is connected to the
proximity pin. Be sure to check the wiring against the pinout.

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 1:39 AM, Evan Tuer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think there is some confusion here.  According to the version of
> spec I've seen, the vehicle inlet should have a 2.7K pull down, but it
> is on the plug-present pin, NOT the control pilot.

Controller for a trolling motor

Osmo Sarin
Hi All,

a friend of mine asked if it´s possible to use a separate controller with his Minn Kota trolling motor.  As I understand it, the motor adjusts speed by using resistors (the motor is one of the cheaper models), and my friend was hoping to get more range with a separate controller.

What type of motor is it (DC, PM etc), and what would be a suitable controller? My friend estimates the motor draws 30 amps.

Thanks,
Osmo

Re: Controller for a trolling motor

Osmo Sarin
...forgot to mention it´s a 12 V motor.

-Osmo

On 3/31/2012 11:40 PM, Osmo wrote:
> a friend of mine asked if it´s possible to use a separate controller
> with his Minn Kota trolling motor. What type of motor is it (DC, PM etc)
> and what would be a suitable controller?

The ones I've seen are PM motors. I'd probably try one of the
inexpensive controllers used in scooters as a first try. Arrange it so
full speed is straight to the battery (no controller), and slower speeds
use the controller, as these controllers have really pitiful heatsinking.

--
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls
and looks like work. -- Thomas A. Edison
Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net