J1772 vs Nema flat blade insertion cycles for EV

J1772 vs Nema flat blade insertion cycles for EV

Hi Lee etc,

I also have a 2013 Leaf.  Did you make an adapter to go from the 120V plug
to the 14/50 240V plug on the Leaf's portable EVSE?  I know my Tesla
portable is rated for 32A at 240V max (just plugged in/works great) but I
didn't know the Leaf was rated for 240V (15A probably).

Our REEVA club VP had *two* Tesla Wall Mount EVSE's die in the last few
years (running at 48A).  Maybe the portable EVSE's operating at lower
current are more conducive to longevity J

Best Regards, Mark

Message: 2

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 15:36:07 -0500

From: Lee Hart <[hidden email]>

To: "(-Phil-) via EV" <[hidden email]>

Subject: Re: [EVDL] J1772 vs Nema flat blade insertion cycles for EV

      charging

(-Phil-) via EV wrote:

> IMO, you can now buy decent heavy-duty well-constructed J1772 EVSEs

> for rather low cost, and if you own a Tesla, their wall-connector EVSE

> is a good bargain for what you get.  If you just dropped many tens of

> kilobucks on a new EV, do yourself a favor and get a decent EVSE.

> Save the included portable unit for emergencies/travel.  The portable

> units are much less reliable, so if you get a wall-mounted one, you

> then have a backup should it fail.

That may be true in general, though my own luck has been the opposite.

My wall-mount EVSE failed 6 months after I got it, but I'm still using the
portable EVSE that came with our 2013 Nissan Leaf every day without
problems.

In my 40+ years of EV driving, I've had my share of NEMA-15 (120v 15a)
connectors fail; but have never had a NEMA 14-50 failure. I think part of
the reason are cheap 120v outlets with push-in wire connections, and that I
don't use NEMA 14-50's at even half their rated amps.

Lee

--

All children are born engineers. Watch them at play. They're not just
playing; they're experimenting, building and learning. That's engineering!

(Geoffrey Orsak, Southern Methodist University dean of engineering)

Have a renewable energy day,

Mark

Mark E. Hanson

184 Vista Lane

Fincastle, VA 24090

540-473-1248 phone & FAX, 540-816-0812 cell

REEVA: community service RE & EV project club

Website: www.REEVAdiy.org (See Project Gallery)

UL Certified PV Installer

My RE&EV Circuits: www.EVDL.org/lib/mh

REEVA Demo:  <http://youtu.be/4kqWn2H-rA0> http://youtu.be/4kqWn2H-rA0

<https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/a88920376f864ecabaed843dd89
75b8d/signature> Fincastle Solar Weather Station

Re: J1772 vs Nema flat blade insertion cycles for EV

mark hanson via EV wrote:
> Hi Lee etc,
>
> I also have a 2013 Leaf.  Did you make an adapter to go from the 120V plug
> to the 14/50 240V plug on the Leaf's portable EVSE?  I know my Tesla
> portable is rated for 32A at 240V max (just plugged in/works great) but I
> didn't know the Leaf was rated for 240V (15A probably).

I understand that it can be converted to 240vac, but I haven't tried it
myself. The way we drive, 120v charging has been completely adequate.

But I should give it a try. My garage is already set up for 240v
charging, and I have two 120v EVSE cords; I could convert one to 240v
just to see how it goes. :-)

All children are born engineers. Watch them at play. They're not
just playing; they're experimenting, building and learning. That's
engineering! Then we get them in school and squash it out of them.
(Geoffrey Orsak, Southern Methodist University dean of engineering)

Re: J1772 vs Nema flat blade insertion cycles for EV

Easy way to tell (maybe) is to open it up and see if it has a
conventional small 60 Hz transformer to power its internal 12 V electronics.
If so, 240 VAC will likely overvoltage those low voltage circuits
(operating at 12 V).

On the other hand, if it does not have a small 12 v transformer, then it is
using a switching supply and will likely be OK.
But if they did it that way, then I would have expected them to put 120/240
V on the name plate.   Everything else in the J1772 spec is CURRENT related
and the mains voltage does not matter == Bob

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 1:32 PM Lee Hart via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> mark hanson via EV wrote:
> > Hi Lee etc,
> >
> > I also have a 2013 Leaf.  Did you make an adapter to go from the 120V
> plug
> > to the 14/50 240V plug on the Leaf's portable EVSE?  I know my Tesla
> > portable is rated for 32A at 240V max (just plugged in/works great) but I
> > didn't know the Leaf was rated for 240V (15A probably).
>
> I understand that it can be converted to 240vac, but I haven't tried it
> myself. The way we drive, 120v charging has been completely adequate.
>
> But I should give it a try. My garage is already set up for 240v
> charging, and I have two 120v EVSE cords; I could convert one to 240v
> just to see how it goes. :-)
>
> Lee Hart
>
> --
> All children are born engineers. Watch them at play. They're not
> just playing; they're experimenting, building and learning. That's
> engineering! Then we get them in school and squash it out of them.
> (Geoffrey Orsak, Southern Methodist University dean of engineering)
> --
> Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, www.sunrise-ev.com

Re: J1772 vs Nema flat blade insertion cycles for EV

The G2 units are switch mode, but it has a primary filter electrolytic only
rated for 200V.  When you connect it to 240v, that capacitor sees about
320v, so generally after a short while it explodes and destroys the power
supply.

Also, if you just replace the capacitor, it will be fine, and will operate
OK on 240V, but only at 12A.  I developed all-new firmware to replace the
stock firmware that checks to see what voltage is coming in and allows you
to program different amperages for L1/L2.  Sadly, reprogramming firmware
requires a special adapter, so even if I gave it away, it wouldn't be of
much use.

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 11:43 AM Robert Bruninga via EV <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Easy way to tell (maybe) is to open it up and see if it has a
> conventional small 60 Hz transformer to power its internal 12 V
> electronics.
> If so, 240 VAC will likely overvoltage those low voltage circuits
> (operating at 12 V).
>
> On the other hand, if it does not have a small 12 v transformer, then it is
> using a switching supply and will likely be OK.
> But if they did it that way, then I would have expected them to put 120/240
> V on the name plate.   Everything else in the J1772 spec is CURRENT related
> and the mains voltage does not matter == Bob
>
> On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 1:32 PM Lee Hart via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > mark hanson via EV wrote:
> > > Hi Lee etc,
> > >
> > > I also have a 2013 Leaf.  Did you make an adapter to go from the 120V
> > plug
> > > to the 14/50 240V plug on the Leaf's portable EVSE?  I know my Tesla
> > > portable is rated for 32A at 240V max (just plugged in/works great)
> but I
> > > didn't know the Leaf was rated for 240V (15A probably).
> >
> > I understand that it can be converted to 240vac, but I haven't tried it
> > myself. The way we drive, 120v charging has been completely adequate.
> >
> > But I should give it a try. My garage is already set up for 240v
> > charging, and I have two 120v EVSE cords; I could convert one to 240v
> > just to see how it goes. :-)
> >
> > Lee Hart
> >
> > --
> > All children are born engineers. Watch them at play. They're not
> > just playing; they're experimenting, building and learning. That's
> > engineering! Then we get them in school and squash it out of them.
> > (Geoffrey Orsak, Southern Methodist University dean of engineering)
> > --
> > Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, www.sunrise-ev.com

Re: J1772 vs Nema flat blade insertion cycles for EV

I have converted one, the older wide body leaf charging cable has a 200V
60hz transformer. Here, the frequency is 50hz so already 20% higher flux
density from that. They burn out on 240Vac 50Hz dure to transformer
saturation. I took the transformer out, could have got it rewound for the
required voltage and frequency but as I design switching electronics went
with that. I used a plug in 12V supply board, changed a resistor in the
voltage sense cct to make it give 15V. Also changed the plug to the locally
used 15A spar pool plug, a (10k I think) resistor in place of the thermistor
in the plug as I broke the one in the plug. Can anyone point me to a source
of the original matching Japanese socket? I would like to get that instead,
better quality than what we use here.(NZ). The psu PCB fitted in place of
the old transformer and makes it 80-265V compatible.