JB's redwoodmaterials.com EV parts?> (reclaim/repurpose cobalt)

JB's redwoodmaterials.com EV parts?> (reclaim/repurpose cobalt)

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/06/tesla-cto-jb-straubel-redwood-materials-recycling-expands-nevada.html
Tesla CTO JB Straubel has a stealthy recycling start-up and it's expanding
into Nevada
6 Sept 2018  Lora Kolodny

[image
https://fm.cnbc.com/applications/cnbc.com/resources/img/editorial/2018/02/07/104994114-GettyImages-176645520.jpg
JB Straubel, Tesla Motors chief technical officer  / Getty

video  flash  dated
Tesla CTO: Not just a 'feel good sustainability project,' this means saving
money
]

  - Tesla CTO JB Straubel established a recycling startup, Redwood
Materials, in 2017.
  - Now, it's registered to do business in Nevada.
  - Straubel has promoted recycling in Tesla's own business, saying the
company would eventually like to establish a "closed loop."

Elon Musk isn't the only Tesla executive with a start-up on the side.

Tesla CTO Jeffrey B. Straubel, known as JB, recently registered Redwood
Materials -- his stealthy recycling venture -- to do business in the state
of Nevada, CNBC has learned from a filing.

Redwood Materials' chief financial officer, Andrew Stevenson, also posted a
job opening for a mechanical engineer to work at the recycling venture in
Northern Nevada a week ago on LinkedIn. Stevenson worked at Tesla for about
3 years until June, in a special projects office of the CTO.

At Tesla, Straubel spends most of his time at the Gigafactory 1 in Sparks,
Nevada, which churns out batteries for electric vehicles and solar energy
systems. He has overseen battery tech, but also power electronics, motors,
software, firmware and controls, among other responsibilities at Tesla.

Redwood Materials was established in Redwood City, California, in 2017, near
Tesla's headquarters in Palo Alto. However, the company is not working with
Tesla, Straubel told CNBC in an email.

"Redwood is not currently doing any business with Tesla and our expansion to
Nevada is unrelated to Tesla or to the Gigafactory directly," said Straubel.
"Northern Nevada has a welcoming business environment, a growing technology
presence and gives us a strong foundation for aggressive future growth.

Tesla's Gigafactory and its main auto plant in Fremont, California,
typically generate large amounts of scrap, cardboard and waste from
construction, according to multiple former employees. In late June, a fire
broke out at Tesla's Fremont factory, where cardboard was being prepared to
go off to a recycling center.

At an annual shareholder's meeting for Tesla in June, Straubel answered a
question from a Twitter user about the company's approach to battery waste.

He said:

  - Tesla will absolutely recycle, and we do recycle, all of our spent
cells, modules and battery packs. So the discussion about is this waste
ending up in landfills is not correct. We would not do that, these are
valuable materials. In addition, it's just the right thing to do.

  - We have current partner companies-- on every major continent where we
have cars operating-- that we work with to do this today. And in addition,
we're developing internally more processes, and we're doing R&D on how we
can improve this recycling process to get more of the active materials back.
Ultimately what we want is a closed loop, right, at the Gigafactories that
reuses the same, recycled materials.

Straubel has also repeatedly spoken about recycling minerals, which are used
in electric vehicle batteries and motors, and can be both costly and subject
to shifting tariffs.
Tesla CTO: Not just a 'feel good sustainability project,' this means saving
money
[© cnbc.com]

[dated]
https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/2/15516632/tesla-startup-redwood-materials-recycling
Tesla executives launch a mysterious startup for ‘materials recycling’
May 2, 2017 - Last night, CB Insights spotted a new SEC filing for a company
called Redwood Materials. The documents list Jeffrey “JB” Straubel, Tesla's
CTO ... ‘Unlock the value of your materials’ ...
https://www.google.com/search?q=redwood+materials+recycling+Straubel
search on  redwood materials recycling Straubel