Join a gym to have EVSE access, shop where you can charge

Join a gym to have EVSE access, shop where you can charge

https://www.pasadenastarnews.com/2018/08/03/the-search-for-a-plug-drives-most-electric-car-owners-into-a-frenzy/
The search for a plug drives most electric car owners into a frenzy
August 3, 2018  Steve Scauzillo

[image
https://www.pasadenastarnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/ev-shot-at-calstart-1.jpg
A Chevy Volt pih and Nissan LEAF EV under new solar panels to power electric
vehicle recharging station at CALSTART, North America’s leading consortium
to promote clean transportation technologies on Monday, June 25, 2012 Cars
charge up at a 84.5-kilowatt solar array at its headaquarters in Pasadena.
The installation combines high-performance solar panels from SolarWorld, the
largest U.S. solar manufacture for more than 35 years, ith five electric
vehicle charging stations. (SGVN/Staff Photo by Walt
Mancini/SXCity)CALSTART, North America’s leading consortium to promote clean
transportation technologies Monday, June 25, 2012 unveiled an 84.5-kilowatt
solar array at its headaquarters in Pasadena. The installation combines
high-performance solar panels from SolarWorld, the largest U.S. solar
manufacture for more than 35 years, ith five electric vehicle charging
stations. (SGVN/Staff Photo by Walt Mancini/SXCity)
]

I’m thinking of joining LA Fitness. Not for their exercise machines. For
their plugs.

Electric car owners are desperate for places to charge. When my friend,
Robert, an EV owner, told me he has a membership at LA Fitness that gives
him access to free parking with Level 2 chargers at $0.50 cents an hour, I
said I want to become more healthy! Where do I sign up?!

So many EV owners make decisions based on plug availability. You think I’d
shop at the Grocery Outlet 4 miles from my house if it didn’t have several
public plugs? No way. But thanks to that company,  I can plug in while I
shop.

It’s not rocket science. The state, the anti-smog agencies, the energy
agencies all want us to get off fossil fuel. One way to do that is to buy an
electric car and kick the gasoline habit. Or, get a Chevrolet Volt [pih],
generation 2.0, like mine, and get 60+ miles on a charge and use the tiny
gas tank to power the electric drive train when the battery drains to zero.
It’s a nice perk for those of us that may have to drive more than 60 miles —
like I did a few weeks ago covering the Valley Fire in Yucaipa and Oak Glen.

But I prefer to keep my battery use at 80 percent. To do that, I need
chargers. Are you listening city planners? Here’s my simple message: Put
more chargers in the cities. Make deals with gas stations, 7-Elevens,
Starbucks (all have zero chargers). Stop putting them in out-of-the-way
public lots where they’re hard to find.

Home Depots and Targets have huge parking lots and zero chargers. Walmart
may install some by June 2019, although there are a few at the Duarte store.
Why aren’t the charging companies making deals with major retailers?

How about putting them on the street? Los Angeles has a few electric
charging stations at the curb. I saw one on Vermont Avenue in Hollywood. You
plug in and feed the meter. Makes perfect sense.

My advice is stop putting chargers in weird places. Put them in the cities
where the EV owners live.

Southern California Edison last week announced it submitted a plan to the
California Public Utilities Commission to add 120 charging ports to two
dozen state beaches and parks. Really? Do you know how many times I’ve gone
to the beach this year? Zero. If it’s twice a year it would be above
average. So then I could charge while swimming. But what about the other 363
days in the year?

I’d rather see them where I drive routinely. When I go grocery shopping
(I’ve never seen a charger at a Ralphs or Vons); or to a restaurant, or the
laundromat, or when I make a deposit at my bank (rarely have I seen a
charger at a strip mall). Instead, the chargers in the city are inconvenient
or come with two-hour limits, which make them very impractical to use.
Gasoline cars can park in a garage without a time limit. Why put time limits
on EVs?

My Chevy Volt EV is the only car plugged in at bank of charging stations at
Rosemead High School on a recent Saturday. (Photo by Steve Scauzillo)

SCE has placed dozens in school parking lots. That’s decent. But for some
reason, bureaucrats think public employees will be more likely to buy an
electric car than private employees. Which makes no sense.

Full disclosure, I’ve written about the electric chargers at Rosemead High
School. I charge my Volt at these empty portals in the evenings and on
weekends, when no one uses them.

The school chargers are more often used by non-school EV owners. Why?
Because they are in the public eye. Last time all the EV spots were taken by
non-EV cars. Non-use will convert any good idea to a bad one.

EV chargers need to be in places where EV owners drive. The same principle
goes for buses, bike share kiosks and train stations. If they are not
located near where people live or work, they don’t get used.

So I’m waiting for street EV chargers down a city’s main street where
curbside parking exists. Those would get use. And I wouldn’t have to scout
around empty school lots and subterranean parking garages at universities or
fitness spas for a plug, just so I can drive my car, not pollute the air and
reduce emissions that cause global warming.
[© pasadenastarnews.com]

https://www.sgvtribune.com/2018/08/03/the-search-for-a-plug-drives-most-electric-car-owners-into-a-frenzy/
The search for a plug drives most electric car owners into a frenzy ...
18 hours ago - A Chevy Volt and Nissan LEAF under new solar panels to power
electric vehicle recharging station at CALSTART, North America's leading ...

https://www.robinspost.com/news/consumer-news/vehicle-news-articles/752348-electric-car-news-the-search-for-a-plug-drives-most-electric-car-owners-into-a-frenzy.html
Electric Car News: The search for a plug drives most electric car owners
into a frenzy
04 Aug 2018  I’m thinking of joining LA Fitness. Not for their exercise
machines. For their plugs. Electric car owners are desperate for places to
charge. When my friend, Robert, an EV owner, told me he has a membership at
LA Fitness that gives him access to free parking with Level 2 chargers at
$0.50 cents an hour,… A Chevy Volt and Nissan LEAF under new solar panels to
power electric vehicle recharging station at CALSTART ...
https://www.pasadenastarnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/ev-shot-at-calstart-1.jpg?w=650&h=568