Karma is a pih : Electric car fire

brucedp5
This post was updated on .
It not about an EV, its about a Fisker Karma which is a plug-in series
hybrid.

I have two sets of newswires on this. The first set says, the pack was
not the initiator. The second, is the usual finger pointing.

Since it is not an EV but a pih, I decided I would wait until all the
reports were in before stealth posting this pih piece on brucedp3 .

{brucedp.150m.com}

-
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Motor-Overheat-additional-info-tp4619321p4622820.html
-

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - mmm... Fastmail...

Re: Karma is a pih : Electric car fire

Zeke Yewdall
The headline could have just as easily been "gasoline engine fire".... and
focused on the fact that it's not a normal electric car, but one with a
highly flammable gasoline engine in it too.   So far, it's not known which
part (the EV part, the ICE part, or just plain old electrical wiring like
the hundreds of thousands of Ford ignition switches that set cars on fire)
is to blame.  It seems like the media likes spinning it to blame the EV
part though.

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 3:17 AM, Bruce EVangel Parmenter <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> It not about an EV, its about a Fisker Karma which is a plug-in series
> hybrid.
>
> I have two sets of newswires on this. The first set says, the pack was
> not the initiator. The second, is the usual finger pointing.
>
> Since it is not an EV put a pih, I decided I would wait until all the
> reports were in before stealth posting this pih piece on brucedp3 .
>

> {brucedp.150m.com}
>

> -
>
> http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Motor-Overheat-additional-info-tp4619321p4622820.html
> On Thu, May 10, 2012, at 01:11 AM, David Dymaxion wrote:
> >
> http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/fisker-karma-owner-blames-house-fire-car-offended-204708241.html
> -
>
> --
> http://www.fastmail.fm - mmm... Fastmail...

Re: Karma is a pih : Electric car fire

Christopher Darilek
I'm with ya but do gas engine fires start while the car is not in use?  That might be the creepy thing that the media is focused on.  Internal battery shorts can form when a Li battery is not in use (low quality cells).  I suppose gas engine fires can start when refueling, i.e. charging..  Only we're not used to refueling in a garage attached to our house/worldly-possessions.

I wish they would report the chemistry, LiCoO2 vs. LiFePO4, etc.

-Chris

________________________________

[hidden email]> wrote:

> It not about an EV, its about a Fisker Karma which is a plug-in series
> hybrid.
>
> I have two sets of newswires on this. The first set says, the pack was
> not the initiator. The second, is the usual finger pointing.
>
> Since it is not an EV put a pih, I decided I would wait until all the
> reports were in before stealth posting this pih piece on brucedp3 .
>

> {brucedp.150m.com}
>

> -
>
> http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Motor-Overheat-additional-info-tp4619321p4622820.html
> On Thu, May 10, 2012, at 01:11 AM, David Dymaxion wrote:
> >
> http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/fisker-karma-owner-blames-house-fire-car-offended-204708241.html
> -
>
> --
> http://www.fastmail.fm - mmm... Fastmail...

Re: Karma is a pih : Electric car fire

Peri Hartman
Anything is possible.  A neighbor's car burned when he turned on the
ignition.  Apparently a mouse had chewed and shorted spark plug wires and
they caught fire, quickly spreading.

Many years ago, I had an exhaust pipe replaced on my  car.  I drove it a
while and parked.  When I came back, I noticed a small trail of gas on the
ground.  I looked underneath and discovered the mechanic had let part of the
exhaust pipe touch a rubber gas line segment.  It had melted through just
enough to let out a small drip.  Fortunately, no fire and easy to fix.

I will say, though, I do think special attention is needed for new
technology.  Old technology is well understood and whether its safe or not,
we pretty much know what to expect.  Even if EVs are safer (I believe they
are), we don't have enough experience to know all the potential problems.  I
don't like seeing the press spin, but it's going to happen until EVs are
well understood.

Peri

[hidden email]> wrote:

> It not about an EV, its about a Fisker Karma which is a plug-in series
> hybrid.
>
> I have two sets of newswires on this. The first set says, the pack was
> not the initiator. The second, is the usual finger pointing.
>
> Since it is not an EV put a pih, I decided I would wait until all the
> reports were in before stealth posting this pih piece on brucedp3 .
>

> {brucedp.150m.com}
>

> -
>
> http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Motor-Ove
> rheat-additional-info-tp4619321p4622820.html
> On Thu, May 10, 2012, at 01:11 AM, David Dymaxion wrote:
> >
> http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/fisker-karma-owner-blames-house
> -fire-car-offended-204708241.html
> -
>
> --
> http://www.fastmail.fm - mmm... Fastmail...

hment.html
hment.html

Re: Karma is a pih : Electric car fire

Zeke Yewdall
True... though most gas engine fires are ignited by the electrical system,
which quite often do happen when it's not in use, though probably more
often when its running.

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Christopher Darilek <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> I'm with ya but do gas engine fires start while the car is not in use?
>  That might be the creepy thing that the media is focused on.  Internal
> battery shorts can form when a Li battery is not in use (low quality
> cells).  I suppose gas engine fires can start when refueling, i.e.
> charging..  Only we're not used to refueling in a garage attached to our
> house/worldly-possessions.
>
> I wish they would report the chemistry, LiCoO2 vs. LiFePO4, etc.
>
> -Chris
>

> ________________________________

Peter Gabrielsson
They do indeed, my brother in laws truck caught fire after it was parked.

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 8:23 AM, Christopher Darilek
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm with ya but do gas engine fires start while the car is not in use?  That might be the creepy thing that the media is focused on.  Internal battery shorts can form when a Li battery is not in use (low quality cells).  I suppose gas engine fires can start when refueling, i.e. charging..  Only we're not used to refueling in a garage attached to our house/worldly-possessions.
>
> I wish they would report the chemistry, LiCoO2 vs. LiFePO4, etc.
>
> -Chris
>

> ________________________________

www.electric-lemon.com

Re: Karma is a pih : Electric car fire

Voltswagon
How many electrical fires happen when not in use?  None that I've ever heard of  (supposedly the Karma wasn't charging).

Either the reported facts are wrong, a jealous neighbor (or owner with buyer remorse) threw some fireworks in the gas tank, or Fisker really Fiskered something.

Re: Karma is a pih : Electric car fire

Thos True
Years ago, I had the transmission replaced in a tow truck. It had an
electric winch on the boom. The mechanic managed to pinch the power cable
of the winch in the sub frame of the truck, resulting in vibration wear.
About a month later I woke up to the sound of the horn going non-stop, and
the truck on fire. I disconnected the battery, which stopped the horn, and
stopped the fan that was accelerating the flames. About that time the fire
dept showed up and sprayed their chemicals, putting out the burning plastic
and rubber products. The truck was salvageable, and a short while later I
was using it again (after replacing the interior, carburetor, and wiring),
but I still recall the sinking feeling watching as it sat burning in my
driveway.
The point is that a fire can happen in any vehicle, ice or otherwise.

-Tom

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 8:55 AM, Peter Gabrielsson <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> They do indeed, my brother in laws truck caught fire after it was parked.
>
> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 8:23 AM, Christopher Darilek
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'm with ya but do gas engine fires start while the car is not in use?
>  That might be the creepy thing that the media is focused on.  Internal
> battery shorts can form when a Li battery is not in use (low quality
> cells).  I suppose gas engine fires can start when refueling, i.e.
> charging..  Only we're not used to refueling in a garage attached to our
> house/worldly-possessions.
> >
> > I wish they would report the chemistry, LiCoO2 vs. LiFePO4, etc.
> >
> > -Chris
> >

> > ________________________________

Remember, it is not that the glass is half empty, in reality, the glass is
merely twice the size that it needs to be! -TNT'82

Re: Karma is a pih : Electric car fire

martinwinlow
When catalytic converters started to become common I remember the media having fun with lots of storeys about cars catching fire when parking off-road in long grass in summer - usually at shows etc where fields and parks were being used as car parks.  I'm guessing that there are a whole host of causes for the 200 thousand plus car fires that occur every year in the US alone, let alone the rest of the world.  No-one cares a hoot about <them>!  MW

On 10 May 2012, at 16:23, Christopher Darilek wrote:

> I'm with ya but do gas engine fires start while the car is not in use?  That might be the creepy thing that the media is focused on.  Internal battery shorts can form when a Li battery is not in use (low quality cells).  I suppose gas engine fires can start when refueling, i.e. charging..  Only we're not used to refueling in a garage attached to our house/worldly-possessions.
>
> I wish they would report the chemistry, LiCoO2 vs. LiFePO4, etc.
>
> -Chris
>

> ________________________________

Regards, Martin Winlow
Herts, UK
http://www.evalbum.com/2092
www.winlow.co.uk

EVLN: ICE packaging caused Karma pih fire

brucedp5

[unformatted]
www.digitaltrends.com/cars/investigators-say-tight-engine-packaging-caused-fisker-karma-fire/
Investigators say tight engine packaging caused Fisker Karma fire
By Stephen Edelstein  May 11 2012

Fluid leaking on hot exhaust pipes may have caused a Karma to burn to the ground last week in Texas.

The fire that consumed a Fisker Karma and a Texas garage last week may have started in the extended-range electric vehicle’s engine compartment, a new report says. Investigators say components mounted too close to the hot gasoline engine were the most likely cause of the fire.

“That engine is shoehorned into that bay, because they had to use a larger engine, because it was too heavy a car,” said Jon Bereisa, CEO of consultancy Auto Lectrification to Automotive News. “As a result, there’s no room for exhaust routing and heat shielding to route the heat away.” A former General Motors engineer, Bereisa worked on the EV1 and Chevy Volt.

The Karma’s exhaust is routed to small outlets in the front fenders, instead of going all the way to the back, as in most cars. The closeness of the engine compartment made it more likely for leaking fluid to come in contact with hot exhaust pipes, Bereisa said. The former engineer also said his theory is backed up by the owner’s account. Jeremy Gutierrez said he smelled burning rubber as he pulled the Karma into his garage; less than three minutes later, the car was on fire. “You don’t smell rubber with batteries, but you will if it’s something on the engine,” said Bereisa.

In December 2011, 239 Karmas were recalled due to badly-placed hose clamp that could have detached and caused a fire. This created some initial suspicion about the battery pack. However, Gutierrez’s Karma was built after the recall, and the battery pack was found to be intact.

The Karma is powered by a 2.0-liter turbocharged inline-four, taken from the defunct Pontiac Solstice GXP sports car. A four-cylinder is not an especially large engine, even with the turbocharger and intercooler plumbing this one has. Subaru can fit a 2.0-liter turbocharged engine in the much smaller Impreza WRX without any problems; if engine packaging really was the cause of the fire, then Fisker made some serious design errors.

Fisker’s next car, the Atlantic, is smaller than the Karma, but uses the same powertrain design. As in the Karma, a front-mounted gasoline engine acts as a generator for a lithium-ion battery pack and electric motors. The Atlantic will use an engine supplied by BMW, possibly the N20 turbocharged inline-four from the 328i and 528i. Fisker is not saying whether the Atlantic was designed with this engine in mind, or whether it will have to be “shoehorned” into the engine bay like the Karma’s engine.
[© 2012 Digital Trends  All rights reserved]

http://af.reuters.com/article/energyOilNews/idAFL1E8G8FNS20120508
Fisker: Karma battery did not cause Houston fire
May 8 2012

May 8 (Reuters) - A house fire that destroyed a $100,000-plus Fisker Karma near Houston last week does not appear to have been caused by the plug-in hybrid's lithium-ion battery pack, Fisker Automotive said in a statement on Tuesday.

Local officials and insurance companies are investigating the cause of the May 3 fire, which originated in the garage of a newly built home in Sugar Land, Texas. Two other cars in the garage were also destroyed.

"There are conflicting reports and uncertainty surrounding this particular incident," Fisker said. "The cause of the fire is not yet known and is being investigated."

After the fire, the Karma's battery was intact, suggesting it was not a "contributing factor," Fisker said. The Karma was not plugged in at the time.

Fisker said it has not ruled out possible fraud or malicious intent. Fire officials and investigators are examining an electrical panel in the garage, Fisker said, adding that it was "aware" of fireworks in the garage.

In recent months, Fisker has fielded tough questions about the reliability of the Karma after a spate of high-profile battery problems. No fires or injuries have been tied to the Karma battery, which is built by A123 Systems.

In March, a Karma battery failed during a test conducted by Consumer Reports magazine. Fisker recalled 239 Karma cars in December to fix a battery defect that raised the risk of a fire.

Robert Baker, the chief fire investigator for Fort Bend County, Texas, could not be reached. He told AutoWeek magazine that the Karma was in flames less than three minutes after the driver pulled into the garage.

The safety of electric car batteries has been in the spotlight since last year when U.S. safety regulators opened an investigation into General Motors Co's Chevrolet Volt after some battery packs caught fire during testing.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration closed the probe in January, saying that electric cars do not pose a greater risk of fire than gasoline-powered cars.

NHTSA is in contact with local authorities about the Karma fire, the agency said in a statement.

"I've worked homicide scenes with less secrecy," Baker told AutoWeek. "There have to be about 15 engineers down here working on this one."
[© 2012 Thomson Reuters  All rights reserved]

http://www.straitstimes.com/Motoring/Story/STIStory_796903.html
Karma battery did not cause Houston fire

http://www.insideline.com/fisker/karma/uncertainty-surrounds-fisker-karma-fire-automaker-contends.html
battery pack does not appear to have been a "contributing factor"

http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=413529&query=evln&sort=date
All EVLN posts

{brucedp.150m.com}