Karmann Ghia conversion tranny saga

Mark Hanson-2

Hi folk's,

I tried standard 90W in my tranny in the 74' E-Porsche www.evalbum.com/1273 instead of the mobile one synthetic & it still crunches in second gear, probably a bad synchro I guess.  Not sure how much synthetic effects range?

On the 74' Karmann Ghia I'm converting I normally take the tranny to a tranny egg-spurt to have it checked out while the car is apart.  I made the mistake of taking a working tranny to AAMCO which they had for 3 weeks and asked me to buy parts for it for $430 which I had sent to them.  I picked it up today in a pile of parts in a *box* !  Totally trashed, they said they couldn't figure out how to put a bug tranny back together again! (after they said they worked on manual bug trannys).  Does anyone know of a good bug transmission place I can buy one from since mine is toast?  (A lawyer said it'd be $1200min to take them to small claims court that's why they don't care & get away with incompitence).

Unfortunately we're having a www.reevadiy.org electric vehicle club meeting tomorrow (Sat) to put in the WARP 9" to the tranny & run though the gears at 12V to check everything out.  I'm now scrambling through the junk yards in the area to hopefully come up with something.

have a renewable energy day,
Mark (Roanoke, VA)

Re: Karmann Ghia conversion tranny saga

Peter C. Thompson
Hi Mark,

There is a guy that specializes in transmissions for 914s (most likely
the same model) - he goes by the name of Dr. Evil on www.914world.com.

Check out the website, and you should have no problem finding the guy.
Fortunately for you, he recently posted the member vendor area:
     http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=113587

Cheers,
     Peter

On 7/8/2011 12:16 PM, Mark Hanson wrote:

> Hi folk's,
>
> I tried standard 90W in my tranny in the 74' E-Porsche www.evalbum.com/1273 instead of the mobile one synthetic&  it still crunches in second gear, probably a bad synchro I guess.  Not sure how much synthetic effects range?
>
> On the 74' Karmann Ghia I'm converting I normally take the tranny to a tranny egg-spurt to have it checked out while the car is apart.  I made the mistake of taking a working tranny to AAMCO which they had for 3 weeks and asked me to buy parts for it for $430 which I had sent to them.  I picked it up today in a pile of parts in a *box* !  Totally trashed, they said they couldn't figure out how to put a bug tranny back together again! (after they said they worked on manual bug trannys).  Does anyone know of a good bug transmission place I can buy one from since mine is toast?  (A lawyer said it'd be $1200min to take them to small claims court that's why they don't care&  get away with incompitence).
>
> Unfortunately we're having a www.reevadiy.org electric vehicle club meeting tomorrow (Sat) to put in the WARP 9" to the tranny&  run though the gears at 12V to check everything out.  I'm now scrambling through the junk yards in the area to hopefully come up with something.
>
> have a renewable energy day,
> Mark (Roanoke, VA)
> .

Re: Karmann Ghia conversion tranny saga

Rush Dougherty
Mark,

Bob's VW repairs... he and his workers are *really* old hippies,
20 East Glenn Street
Tucson, AZ 85705-4657
(520) 622-1391

but I'm sure you can find somebody closer.

Rush
www.TucsonEV.com

> one synthetic & it still crunches in second gear, probably a bad synchro I guess.  Not sure how
> much synthetic effects range?
>
> On the 74' Karmann Ghia I'm converting I normally take the tranny to a tranny egg-spurt to have it
> checked out while the car is apart.  I made the mistake of taking a working tranny to AAMCO which
> they had for 3 weeks and asked me to buy parts for it for $430 which I had sent to them.  I picked
> it up today in a pile of parts in a *box* !  Totally trashed, they said they couldn't figure out
> how to put a bug tranny back together again! (after they said they worked on manual bug trannys).
> Does anyone know of a good bug transmission place I can buy one from since mine is toast?  (A
> lawyer said it'd be $1200min to take them to small claims court that's why they don't care & get
> away with incompitence).
>
> Unfortunately we're having a www.reevadiy.org electric vehicle club meeting tomorrow (Sat) to put
> in the WARP 9" to the tranny & run though the gears at 12V to check everything out.  I'm now
> scrambling through the junk yards in the area to hopefully come up with something.
>
> have a renewable energy day,
> Mark (Roanoke, VA)

Re: Karmann Ghia conversion tranny saga

Doug Weathers

On Jul 8, 2011, at 1:16 PM, Mark Hanson wrote:

>  Does anyone know of a good bug transmission place I can buy one from since mine is toast?

A quick Google search turns up this page:

<http://www.roadhaus.com/shops_search_map.php?state_id=46>

Disclaimer: I have no personal experience with any of the firms mentioned, and neither does Google.

p.s. the search string I used was "roanoke va vw bug repair".

--
Doug Weathers
[hidden email]

Re: Karmann Ghia conversion tranny saga

Willie McKemie
On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 03:16:07PM -0400, Mark Hanson wrote:
> On the 74' Karmann Ghia I'm converting I normally take the tranny to a tranny egg-spurt to have it checked out while the car is apart.  I made the mistake of taking a working tranny to AAMCO which they had for 3 weeks and asked me to buy parts for it for $430 which I had sent to them.  I picked it up today in a pile of parts in a *box* !  Totally trashed, they said they couldn't figure out how to put a bug tranny back together again! (after they said they worked on manual bug trannys).  Does anyone know of a good bug transmission place I can buy one from since mine is toast?  (A lawyer said it'd be $1200min to take them to small claims court that's why they don't care & get away with incompitence).

In Texas, it cost almost nothing to bring a case in small claims court.
They are generally operated by Justices of Peace.  One in each of four
county precincts.  Cost is around $30 for a filing fee and the JP courts
have an instruction sheet that tells you exactly what should be done to
file.  No lawyer necessary.  Burden of proof is relaxed compared to a
"real" court and the trials are much more informal.  Upper limit on
claims is about $5K.

In Texas, AAMCO has a long (~50 year) history of consumer fraud.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
http://counter.li.org Linux registered user #228836 since 1995

Re: Karmann Ghia conversion tranny saga

Cruisin
Hi Mark, I have 2 rebuilt VW trannies that will fit your car. email me at cruisin@live.com

Re: Karmann Ghia conversion tranny saga

Bill Dube
It is time-consuming but not overly difficult and you don't need a lawyer.

http://www.texasbar.com/Content/NavigationMenu/ForThePublic/FreeLegalInformation/OurLegalSystem/HowtoSueinSmallClaimsCourt.pdf

Basically, you set a court date and serve the business with a notice
of that court date.

When you go to court, bring in any paperwork you may have showing
what they billed you, etc. Also bring in the box of parts. (Or a
photo of the parts both in the box and laid out so you can identify
each one. It would be very useful to inventory the box of parts along
with a list of parts that are supposed to be in the transmission. If
there are missing parts, that would be really useful to show the judge.

You want an estimate, on paper, from an expensive shop, like a
dealership, of how much it will cost to put all these parts back
together to make the transmission you used to have. No repairs. Just
re-assembly to "undo" the "damage" that AAMCO caused you. It would
also be good to have a separate evaluation of what components (if
any) actually _require_ replacement or repair.

It will also be useful to look up any prior judgements they have
against them and bring copies of those judgements with you to court.

After you get a judgement against them, you then need to collect it.
If they don't simply pay you, look at the back of your "parts
payment" check to see where they bank, and then go there with a "writ
of garnishment" and get your money. :-)

On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 03:25:33PM -0600, Bill Dube wrote:
> It is time-consuming but not overly difficult and you don't need a lawyer.
>
> http://www.texasbar.com/Content/NavigationMenu/ForThePublic/FreeLegalInformation/OurLegalSystem/HowtoSueinSmallClaimsCourt.pdf

The OP is in Virginia, I believe.  I was merely citing from my own
experience.  You HAVE given good advice for the Texas system.  For
Virginia, I don't know.  I would expect/hope it is similar.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
http://counter.li.org Linux registered user #228836 since 1995
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime  16 days 10 hours 24 minutes