Kaylor Kit New Images

gottdi
I was successful at changing my server to another computer. I have more images up along with a few questions.
Photo Album

Check the new pages from adapter removal to drive end.

As always I read all input.

Pete
http://onegreenev.blogspot.com/
No need to wait any longer. You can now buy one off the shelf. You can still build one too.

Re: Kaylor Kit New Images

gottdi
I just put up new photos to have a look at on my motor. It is known
that I am trying to clean my motor but that means I need to
disassemble the motor. This is a tough cookie to crack and I need
some help. Anyone willing to help crack this cookie? Have a gander at
the Help Please section if you will please.

http://inertext.homeunix.com/kaylor/New%20Site/Help%20Please%21.html

Thanks for the help
Pete

On Dec 19, 2007, at 9:29 PM, gottdi wrote:

> I was successful at changing my server to another computer. I have
> more
> images up along with a few questions.
> http://inertext.homeunix.com/kaylor Photo Album
>
> Check the new pages from adapter removal to drive end.
>
> As always I read all input.
>

> Pete
No need to wait any longer. You can now buy one off the shelf. You can still build one too.

Re: Kaylor Kit New Images

Bob Rice-2
    Hi Pete;

   Wow! Looks like it was salvaged off the Titanic! IF you can pull it
apart? Loosten the end bells and tap it lightly, at the shaft. It may NOT
come apart ether way, but only one direction, especially IF it has a cooling
fan?? How are the brushes? Can you pull them up clear of the comm?Be SUPER
careful you don't bash up the brush rigging, trying too pull it apart! IF
the motor has a cooling fan be careful you don't kill that! I did on an ADC
motor! If, and it sorta looks like those old Aircrafy genny/starter things?
It will have strange bolt together standards? Dig around the gunk for wierd
placed bolts.

     Good luck.

     Bob
>I just put up new photos to have a look at on my motor. It is known
> that I am trying to clean my motor but that means I need to
> disassemble the motor. This is a tough cookie to crack and I need
> some help. Anyone willing to help crack this cookie? Have a gander at
> the Help Please section if you will please.
>
> http://inertext.homeunix.com/kaylor/New%20Site/Help%20Please%21.html
>
> Thanks for the help
> Pete
>

> On Dec 19, 2007, at 9:29 PM, gottdi wrote:
>

>> I was successful at changing my server to another computer. I have
>> more
>> images up along with a few questions.
>> http://inertext.homeunix.com/kaylor Photo Album
>>
>> Check the new pages from adapter removal to drive end.
>>
>> As always I read all input.
>>

>> Pete
>> --
> 9/22/2007 1:27 PM

Re: Kaylor Kit New Images

Hi-Torque Electric
Hey Pete

First off, calm down a tad and take a deep breath,
works for me when a motor starts to fight me back,
lol.

That last batch of pics helps alot.  I can see that
the DE plate has been released, and that by removing
that CE bearing cap I see that it's locked via that
spanner nut /spider ring and wire ties set up.  Remove
those and the armature and DE plate should pull out as
a single unit.  Once it's out take some more pics and
we'll see how to get the DE plate off, which I think
should just need a mallet or a puller on it.  It may
also have something locking it into place so better to
move slow and steady than to break something.

If you continue to have isues grab another pic after
removing that lock down retainer and I'll put another
eyeball on it.
Hope this helps
Cya
Jim Husted

Re: Kaylor Kit New Images

gottdi
I'd say pulled from the past from the hobbit forest wasteland. It
does run so that is a plus. Yes I can move the brushes away and I
will be very careful pulling and tapping apart.

Thanks. Got a good chuckle out of that one.

Pete
On Dec 20, 2007, at 2:47 PM, Bob Rice wrote:

> salvaged off the Titanic

No need to wait any longer. You can now buy one off the shelf. You can still build one too.

Re: Kaylor Kit New Images

gottdi
Oh! I am calmer than I sound. The drive end looks like it's held in
place via pins. they are very hard to see but I will try to get some
pics of where I see them. They are flush but the back side has just
enough of a lip to get a brass rod against it and take a small hammer
and tap it off. Brass helps prevent damage to the unit. I will be
going out to remove that spanner and I will have photos up again soon.

I will try not to sound so desperate next post.  :  )

Pete

On Dec 20, 2007, at 2:55 PM, Jim Husted wrote:

> Hey Pete
>
> First off, calm down a tad and take a deep breath,
> works for me when a motor starts to fight me back,
> lol.
>
> That last batch of pics helps alot.  I can see that
> the DE plate has been released, and that by removing
> that CE bearing cap I see that it's locked via that
> spanner nut /spider ring and wire ties set up.  Remove
> those and the armature and DE plate should pull out as
> a single unit.  Once it's out take some more pics and
> we'll see how to get the DE plate off, which I think
> should just need a mallet or a puller on it.  It may
> also have something locking it into place so better to
> move slow and steady than to break something.
>
> If you continue to have isues grab another pic after
> removing that lock down retainer and I'll put another
> eyeball on it.
> Hope this helps
> Cya
> Jim Husted

No need to wait any longer. You can now buy one off the shelf. You can still build one too.

Dismantle Photos

gottdi
I have more photos of this motor of mine. What a motor.

Pete

--- [hidden email] wrote:

> Oh! I am calmer than I sound.

I figuered as much and was try to make light of what
I'm sure is a tad frustrating.  As I stated in a
private reply, it's not always easy to see the problem
from just a pic or two and is why I sometimes need
different angles and views.  Being I've never worked
on one of these either, it makes it all that harder to
try and offer advise.  There is at least a good note
here and that is if it went together it's got to come
apart, well acutally that's not really true anymore
with many small throw away motors, but this one
should, lol.

BTW, if the breathing thing doesn't work for me, I do
find a really big mallet does the trick 8^o

Maybe if you sang All I want for Christmas, is my
armature out 8^)

Hey can't hurt, might give you a small EV grin as you
study the school of hard knocks handbook.  FWIW, I'm
laughing with you as I've been there!, done that!, so
welcome to my world 8^)
Cya
Jim Husted
Hi-Torque Electric

Re: Dismantle Photos

Hi-Torque Electric
Hey Pete

Well there you go.  BTW those brushes look like
standard GE brushes so brush replacement won't be a
problem.  They are quite a bit spendier than an ADC
set (as a heads up) but those look good to go for a
while.
Anyway congrats on a job well done 8^)
Cya
Jim Husted
Hi-Torque Electric

Re: Kaylor Kit New Images

Bruce W
Pete
If you remove the wired cap on the non-drive end there is a nut. If you
remove that the shaft will come out. Mr. Barkley had some good pictures of
it on www.texomaev.com. at one time but I did not see them a minute ago. The
motor is a shunt that was an aircraft starter generator. The
www.Surplusparts.com was selling them but they must have run out of stock.
www.e-volks.com was also selling these as kits for $2500 with an altrax
control and adapter for Volkswagen bugs.   I have never pulled mine apart
beyond that point. e-volks was running these up to 96 volt with a good
blower. They are commonly referred to as Jack Heinze- 29 starter generators.

On Dec 20, 2007 4:10 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh! I am calmer than I sound. The drive end looks like it's held in
> place via pins. they are very hard to see but I will try to get some
> pics of where I see them. They are flush but the back side has just
> enough of a lip to get a brass rod against it and take a small hammer
> and tap it off. Brass helps prevent damage to the unit. I will be
> going out to remove that spanner and I will have photos up again soon.
>
> I will try not to sound so desperate next post.  :  )
>
> Pete
>

> On Dec 20, 2007, at 2:55 PM, Jim Husted wrote:
>
> > Hey Pete
> >
> > First off, calm down a tad and take a deep breath,
> > works for me when a motor starts to fight me back,
> > lol.
> >
> > That last batch of pics helps alot.  I can see that
> > the DE plate has been released, and that by removing
> > that CE bearing cap I see that it's locked via that
> > spanner nut /spider ring and wire ties set up.  Remove
> > those and the armature and DE plate should pull out as
> > a single unit.  Once it's out take some more pics and
> > we'll see how to get the DE plate off, which I think
> > should just need a mallet or a puller on it.  It may
> > also have something locking it into place so better to
> > move slow and steady than to break something.
> >
> > If you continue to have isues grab another pic after
> > removing that lock down retainer and I'll put another
> > eyeball on it.
> > Hope this helps
> > Cya
> > Jim Husted

Re: Dismantle Photos

gottdi
Jim,

I have the motor gutted now and new photos up for you to see. Well
for all to see. This has been great. Not so scary any more. However
the end bearings that have that spider washer and spanner bolt is
proving to be one tough cookie. It seems as though they don't want to
knock loose. It is begining to damage the spanner bolt and I don't
want to do any more. Any ideas besides spraying it with liquid
wrench? I can supply heat but that kinda scares me. Damaging the the
spanner scares me even more as I don't have any spares. Now what do
you suggest I use to clean this puppy with? Tooth brush? Soapy water?
Solvent? Not sure. It is a steel core.

Pete

http://inertext.homeunix.com/kaylor/New%20Site/Tap%20Tap%20Tap.html

On Dec 20, 2007, at 4:59 PM, Jim Husted wrote:

> Hey Pete
>
> Well there you go.  BTW those brushes look like
> standard GE brushes so brush replacement won't be a
> problem.  They are quite a bit spendier than an ADC
> set (as a heads up) but those look good to go for a
> while.
> Anyway congrats on a job well done 8^)
> Cya
> Jim Husted
> Hi-Torque Electric

No need to wait any longer. You can now buy one off the shelf. You can still build one too.

Re: Dismantle Photos

Hi-Torque Electric
Hey Pete

I've tried to get to the page a couple of times here
(EVen from old links) and it's been unavailable to me.

Without taking it into a shop, your best bet is
probably hosing it down in brake cleaner.  Make sure
to do it outside or very well ventilated and make sure
to take a lot of precautions as it's very flammable.

Once it's completely dried out check it again to see
if the short to frame is gone.
Hope this helps
Jim Husted
Hi-Torque Electric