L3 EVSE ICEing worst-case> literally(2avoid hail) &figuratively

L3 EVSE ICEing worst-case> literally(2avoid hail) &figuratively

 (exacerbated climate change from ice-pollution)
https://thedriven.io/2019/11/18/is-this-the-worst-case-of-iceing-at-an-electric-vehicle-charging-station-ever/
The worst case of “ICEing” at an electric vehicle charging station in
history
NOVEMBER 18, 2019  Bridie Schmidt

[image
https://thedriven.io/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/evie-networksSYFR8264.jpg
coochin creek iced

share
https://twitter.com/EvieNetworks/status/1196199932169834496
Evie_Networks  @EvieNetworks
Worst case of ICEing in history? Motorists shelter from tropical hail storm
under solar canopy at @EvieNetworks ultrafast charging station at Coochin
Creek as supercell hits the Sunshine Coast in Australia. Australia was still
burning as this happened. #EV #ICE #ICEing
View image on Twitter
4:54 PM - Nov 17, 2019
]

The brand new ultra-rapid electric car charger that was launched last
Tuesday at the Sunshine Coasts’s Coochin Creek [
https://thedriven.io/2019/11/12/evie-networks-opens-its-first-ultra-fast-charging-station-powered-by-renewables/
] was inundated with vehicles parking under the site’s solar canopy on
Sunday in what might be the worst case of “ICE-ing” seen to date.

An image shared by Evie Networks on Monday shows that most of the vehicles
parked in the EV charging station are internal combustion engine (ICE)
vehicles – but they weren’t there to deliberate thwart from EV owners from
charging their car – they were trying to escape a deluge of hail that hit
the area.

That anti-social act is know as “ICEing”, and has become quite the thing in
the US. But the fact that this event was caused by ICEing of different kind
was not lost on the charging network provider.

“Funnily, the site was “iced” both literally and figuratively,” Evie
Networks CEO Chris Mills tells The Driven.

“The weekend was obviously an extreme case. The photo was taken from our
on-site camera, which was installed to capture the build process for a
possible time-lapse presentation.”

As Evie Networks points out, the super-cell thunderstorm event took place
even as huge swathes of Queensland and NSW are battling unprecedented bush
fires – a testimony to the weather extremes being experienced across the
country and which will be exacerbated by climate change [
https://reneweconomy.com.au/climate-experts-call-bs-as-government-offers-only-thoughts-and-prayers-for-fire-crisis-19408/
].

It’s entirely likely that many of the ICE owners did not consider the fact
the location they are parking in is for electric vehicles only as they
attempted to avoid damage to their vehicles, but the mass ICEing does raise
an issue that is becoming more common.

ICEing is a behaviour that has historically been on the rise in the US and
other countries that have a higher penetration of electric vehicles, but
with the arrival of the Tesla Model 3 in August Australia’s electric vehicle
fleet it is also now on the rise here.

In some cases, ICEing of carparks is a deliberate act by people who resent
the shift to clean, zero emissions, electric transport – however it usually
happens in locations such as shopping centres.

“As to enforcement, other than an on-site presence there’s little that we
can do.  More particularly what we will review is whether we need additional
bollard protection of the equipment given where the cars parked during the
hail-storm,” says Mills.

“We haven’t seen too many adverse impacts over the week we’ve been
operational [at the Coochin site]”, Evie Network’s Geoff Brady told The
Driven.

However, even when it is not a deliberate act, the behaviour is considered
poor form as it blocks an electric vehicle owner from charging their
vehicle.

In a country where electric vehicle charging infrastructure is still sparse
– particularly 350kW DC chargers (such as at the Coochin Creek location)
which can recharge several hundred kilometres driving range in as little as
15 minutes – just one ICEd park can mean all the difference for an EV
owners.

The Coochin Creek site is located at the Glasshouse Mountains service
stations on the Bruce Highway, and is currently free to EV owners using the
facility.

The solar canopy on the site helps to power the site and also offers
protection from the sun – and it is now obvious, more serious weather events
such as hail.

There are currently two 350kW chargers at the site with room and capacity
for up to six.

You can listen to our recent interview with Chris Mills on The Driven
podcast here.
[© thedriven.io]

+
https://cheddar.com/media/getting-ev-charging-out-of-the-dark-ages
Getting EV Charging Out of the 'Dark Ages'
Nov 18, 2019 ... There are a lot of dynamics there that make it a great
place to drive EV charging and EV usage, but you still have to prioritize,
The EV planning universe, it's in the dark ages ... Tesla has sought to
overcome it by building a network of more than 3,000 chargers across North
America ...

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
 http://www.evdl.org/archive/

Re: L3 EVSE ICEing worst-case> literally(2avoid hail) &figuratively

I'm looking forward to the day when there are enough EVs on the road that
their drivers could -- IF they were as infantile as the tantrum-throwing
ICEV drivers who deliberately "ICE" charging points -- "E" gas pumps.