LEAF 30 kWh battery degradation

Hello!

I'm reading up to prepare for my family's first jump into EVs.  It seems
that a bunch of 2016 LEAFs are coming off lease right now and hitting the
sale market, but this article about their battery life gave me pause. (I
searched the archives for the URL and didn't see that anyone had posted it
before, but I'll keep looking.) What do you all think of this issue?

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1116020_nissan-leaf-30-kwh-battery-decline-3-times-that-of-earlier-electric-cars-study

Thank you,
Anne Dickey

Re: LEAF 30 kWh battery degradation

Anne,
I had been looking for a 2013 or newer Leaf because of the improved battery
chemistry to handle hot climates. I ended up with a Fiat 500e with liquid
cooling. If you live in a cool climate, I wouldn't worry the Nissan Leaf
battery. My Fiat is annoying on a hot day and you are charging or driving
without the AC on and the cooling fan sounds like a jet engine under the
hood. It must help the batteries stay cooler. The advantage of the Leaf is
in the higher number of units sold and the simpler battery setup. More
parts and expertise available, and more people can address a battery issue,
not just a factory trained mechanic. I love driving the Fiat, but I worry
down the road about battery servicing and repairs. My wife ended up with a
used Fiat 500x gas car, both Fiats seem quirky to me, sold in low numbers
in the US. Both seem to have computer / program glitches.
Alan

On Sat, Aug 10, 2019, 8:56 AM Anne Dickey via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm reading up to prepare for my family's first jump into EVs.  It seems
> that a bunch of 2016 LEAFs are coming off lease right now and hitting the
> sale market, but this article about their battery life gave me pause. (I
> searched the archives for the URL and didn't see that anyone had posted it
> before, but I'll keep looking.) What do you all think of this issue?
>

> https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1116020_nissan-leaf-30-kwh-battery-decline-3-times-that-of-earlier-electric-cars-study
>
> Thank you,
> Anne Dickey

Re: LEAF 30 kWh battery degradation

Hello Anne,

I am surprised no one answered because I believe there are several Leaf drivers and battery experts on this forum. However, I believe Nissan addressed the problem and has a software fix for those vehicles.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/insideevs.com/news/338528/update-nissan-has-software-fix-for-2016-17-leaf-30-kwh-battery-reporting-issues/amp/

Sent from my iPhone