LED battery pack gauge - DIY instructions posted

LED battery pack gauge - DIY instructions posted

Darin -@- ForkenSwift.com
Hi all -

Some of you may remember that the ForkenSwift has a great home-brew LED battery pack gauge with an equalizer-like display to show which of the worn-out batteries I'm about to murder next:

See the monitor in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHlq1J5dbb4

While the parts list for making one of these has been on EVconvert.com for some time (in Part 1), its designer, James, has just posted step-by-step instructions (in Part 2) on how to assemble the modules:

Part 1:
http://www.evconvert.com/article/led-bargraph-battery-monitor
Part 2:
http://www.evconvert.com/article/led-bargraph-battery-monitor-part-2

More than a few people have asked me about the gauge, so hopefully some will find this new info useful.

The pack monitor has proved invaluable for extending the life of the ForkenSwift's old & less-than-perfectly-balanced pack (by not murdering the runts of the litter under load).

cheers-
Darin

http://forkenswift.com/
http://www.evalbum.com/1146

Re: LED battery pack gauge - DIY instructions posted

Mike Willmon-3
can someone point to the datasheet for the LM3419?

This looks like a cool project.  Thanks for sharing

Mike

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at  7:30 AM, Darin at- forkenswift.com wrote:

> Hi all -
> Some of you may remember that the ForkenSwift has a great home-brew
> LED
> battery pack gauge with an equalizer-like display to show which of the
> worn-out batteries I'm about to murder next:
>
> See the monitor in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHlq1J5dbb4
>
> While the parts list for making one of these has been on EVconvert.com
> for
> some time (in Part 1), its designer, James, has just posted
> step-by-step
> instructions (in Part 2) on how to assemble the modules:
>
> Part 1: http://www.evconvert.com/article/led-bargraph-battery-monitor
> Part 2:
> http://www.evconvert.com/article/led-bargraph-battery-monitor-part-2
>
> More than a few people have asked me about the gauge, so hopefully
> some will
> find this new info useful.
>
> The pack monitor has proved invaluable for extending the life of the
> ForkenSwift's old & less-than-perfectly-balanced pack (by not
> murdering the
> runts of the litter under load).
>
> cheers-
> Darin

Re: LED battery pack gauge - DIY instructions posted

Mark Grasser
Go to www.digikey.com

Type in LM3914

You will find what you are looking for.

Mark Grasser
Eliot, ME

can someone point to the datasheet for the LM3419?

This looks like a cool project.  Thanks for sharing

Mike

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at  7:30 AM, Darin at- forkenswift.com wrote:

> Hi all -
> Some of you may remember that the ForkenSwift has a great home-brew
> LED
> battery pack gauge with an equalizer-like display to show which of the
> worn-out batteries I'm about to murder next:
>
> See the monitor in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHlq1J5dbb4
>
> While the parts list for making one of these has been on EVconvert.com
> for
> some time (in Part 1), its designer, James, has just posted
> step-by-step
> instructions (in Part 2) on how to assemble the modules:
>
> Part 1: http://www.evconvert.com/article/led-bargraph-battery-monitor
> Part 2:
> http://www.evconvert.com/article/led-bargraph-battery-monitor-part-2
>
> More than a few people have asked me about the gauge, so hopefully
> some will
> find this new info useful.
>
> The pack monitor has proved invaluable for extending the life of the
> ForkenSwift's old & less-than-perfectly-balanced pack (by not
> murdering the
> runts of the litter under load).
>
> cheers-
> Darin

Re: LED battery pack gauge - DIY instructions posted

Mike Willmon-3
Thanks Mark, woulda thought Googling LM3419 woulda turned up something.
I just needed a kick start on my creative search ideas.

Funny I sent this three times and didn't se my reply post to the board.
But I see your reply to me so it must have made it.

"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

Thanks
Mike

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at  3:56 PM, Mark Grasser wrote:

> Go to www.digikey.com
>
> Type in LM3914
>
> You will find what you are looking for.
>
> Mark Grasser
> Eliot, ME

rodhower
Mike,
I think you googled the wrong part, it should be the LM3914
http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM3914.html
Rod

> can someone point to the datasheet for the LM3419?
>
> This looks like a cool project.  Thanks for sharing
>
> Mike
>

> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at  7:30 AM, Darin at-
> forkenswift.com wrote:
>
> > Hi all -
> > Some of you may remember that the ForkenSwift has a
> great home-brew
> > LED
> > battery pack gauge with an equalizer-like display to
> show which of the
> > worn-out batteries I'm about to murder next:
> >
> > See the monitor in action:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHlq1J5dbb4
> >
> > While the parts list for making one of these has been
> on EVconvert.com
> > for
> > some time (in Part 1), its designer, James, has just
> posted
> > step-by-step
> > instructions (in Part 2) on how to assemble the
> modules:
> >
> > Part 1:
> http://www.evconvert.com/article/led-bargraph-battery-monitor
> > Part 2:
> >
> http://www.evconvert.com/article/led-bargraph-battery-monitor-part-2
> >
> > More than a few people have asked me about the gauge,
> so hopefully
> > some will
> > find this new info useful.
> >
> > The pack monitor has proved invaluable for extending
> the life of the
> > ForkenSwift's old &
> less-than-perfectly-balanced pack (by not
> > murdering the
> > runts of the litter under load).
> >
> > cheers-
> > Darin

Re: LED battery pack gauge - DIY instructions posted

Mike Willmon-3
You're right, I did.  It helps if I get the right number.  Found the spec
sheet.  I was wondering how high a supply voltage the things would go to.

The sheet says +25V, so it should handle an equalizing 12v battery just fine
at 15.5V.

Thanks
Mike