LIMnPO4

themotorman
Anyone have info about using LiMnPO4 lion batteries.
As far as I can tell the cost/mile for these is currently lower than
LIFePO4. and their energy density is also higher. Life is lower but so is
cost. It is a more mature technology too so the cell makers probably know
how to optimise them better than they can with LiFePO4.
The cell that is impressive is the one in a size 26550 case ( just in case
you need to know the "26" is the diameter and the "550" is the length for
cyl. cells in mm. ) This cell has is a 3.7 volt 2.8 Ahrs with a cycle life
of around 800 100%  (cycle depth ) to a 20% loss of stored Ahrs. Cost seems
to run from $US1.00 to $US2.00 /cell. For my car, that would mean a
cost/mile of around 7 cents, which is much much lower than for LiFePO4's.
Comments as usual very welcomed.
ron

--
When all else fails, remember failure is the success of knowing what not to
do.

Re: LIMnPO4

Stephen Chapman
When I searched this number, I found cells that were only 600mAh capacity.
Is this the same cell to which you are referring?
Stephen Chapman

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 2:45 PM, ron doctors <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyone have info about using LiMnPO4 lion batteries.
> As far as I can tell the cost/mile for these is currently lower than
> LIFePO4. and their energy density is also higher. Life is lower but so is
> cost. It is a more mature technology too so the cell makers probably know
> how to optimise them better than they can with LiFePO4.
> The cell that is impressive is the one in a size 26550 case ( just in case
> you need to know the "26" is the diameter and the "550" is the length for
> cyl. cells in mm. ) This cell has is a 3.7 volt 2.8 Ahrs with a cycle life
> of around 800 100%  (cycle depth ) to a 20% loss of stored Ahrs. Cost seems
> to run from $US1.00 to $US2.00 /cell. For my car, that would mean a
> cost/mile of around 7 cents, which is much much lower than for LiFePO4's.
> Comments as usual very welcomed.
> ron
>

> --
> When all else fails, remember failure is the success of knowing what not to
> do.

Re: LIMnPO4

Jeff Shanab
One thing about them that used to be true was they could not handle warmer temperatures like the LiFePo4, it damages them.
May want to investigate that a bit and provide cooling.

> Anyone have info about using LiMnPO4 lion batteries.
> As far as I can tell the cost/mile for these is currently lower than
> LIFePO4. and their energy density is also higher. Life is lower but so is
> cost. It is a more mature technology too so the cell makers probably know
> how to optimise them better than they can with LiFePO4.
> The cell that is impressive is the one in a size 26550 case ( just in case
> you need to know the "26" is the diameter and the "550" is the length for
> cyl. cells in mm. ) This cell has is a 3.7 volt 2.8 Ahrs with a cycle life
> of around 800 100%  (cycle depth ) to a 20% loss of stored Ahrs. Cost seems
> to run from $US1.00 to $US2.00 /cell. For my car, that would mean a
> cost/mile of around 7 cents, which is much much lower than for LiFePO4's.
> Comments as usual very welcomed.
> ron
>

> -- When all else fails, remember failure is the success of knowing what not to do. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/private/ev/attachments/20100713/52362e17/attachment.html

Re: LIMnPO4

Morgan LaMoore
Where did you find those prices? Those are very good ($97/kWh to
$193/kWh), much better than even Thundersky (over $300/kWh).

The cheapest 2800mAh cell prices I could find were $240 for 100 cells
from a shady Chinese website. Most of the sites I found were selling
small quantities for over $5/cell.

Also, in 18650 and 26650 (standard sizes for these sort of cells), the
diameter is 18 and 26mm, and the length is 65mm, not 650mm (over 2
feet). I expect the cells you describe are the same.

-Morgan LaMoore

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 1:45 PM, ron doctors <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyone have info about using LiMnPO4 lion batteries.
> As far as I can tell the cost/mile for these is currently lower than
> LIFePO4. and their energy density is also higher. Life is lower but so is
> cost. It is a more mature technology too so the cell makers probably know
> how to optimise them better than they can with LiFePO4.
> The cell that is impressive is the one in a size 26550 case ( just in case
> you need to know the "26" is the diameter and the "550" is the length for
> cyl. cells in mm. ) This cell has is a 3.7 volt 2.8 Ahrs with a cycle life
> of around 800 100%  (cycle depth ) to a 20% loss of stored Ahrs. Cost seems
> to run from $US1.00 to $US2.00 /cell. For my car, that would mean a
> cost/mile of around 7 cents, which is much much lower than for LiFePO4's.
> Comments as usual very welcomed.
> ron

Re: LIMnPO4

Matt Jones

Re: LIMnPO4

Stephen,

Ron made a type, the cell length of the 26 and 18mm dia cells
are the same 65mm so the type numbers are 26650 (not 26550)
and 18650 respectively.
Note that the length is not the suggested 650 in mm as that
is over 2 feet long...

Cor van de Water
Director HW & Systems Architecture Group
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [hidden email]
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203 XoIP: +31877841130