Link-10/e-meter replacement?

Zeke Yewdall
What options are there for doing AH counting on a 72 volt battery bank
(AGM)?  The e-meter and Link-10 that used to do this seem to be
discontinued, and the LinkPro does not work with the prescaler for banks
over 24 volts, according to their documentation, at least.  I know that the
e-vision can do this (and that's what I'm using on my 96 volt NiCad bank on
my EV), but it's overkill (and too expensive) for what I want for this
other project -- but I also want something more than the voltage based
meters for golf carts that I'm finding.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Zeke

Re: Link-10/e-meter replacement?

Roger Stockton
Zeke Yewdall wrote:

> What options are there for doing AH counting on a 72 volt battery bank
> (AGM)?  The e-meter and Link-10 that used to do this seem to be
> discontinued, and the LinkPro does not work with the prescaler for banks
> over 24 volts, according to their documentation, at least.  I know that
> the e-vision can do this (and that's what I'm using on my 96 volt NiCad
> bank on my EV), but it's overkill (and too expensive) for what I want for
> this other project -- but I also want something more than the voltage
> based meters for golf carts that I'm finding.  Any ideas?

TBS E-Xpert Pro, with 1:5 voltage prescaler:

<http://evolveelectrics.com/E-Xpert%20Pro.html>

AFAIK, the Xantrex LinkPRO is the same device, rebadged:

<http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/power-accessories/linkpro-battery-monitor.aspx>

Function F6.5, described in the user manual, is used to configure the LinkPRO for a particular voltage prescaler.

Xantrex may not offer the prescaler as an accessory, but the meter will work with it.

Alternatively, the CycleAnalyst will also do the job:

<http://www.ebikes.ca/store/store_CA.php>

Cheers,

Roger.

> Thanks!
>
> Zeke
> achment.html

Re: Link-10/e-meter replacement?

Chris Tromley
On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 7:15 PM, Zeke Yewdall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What options are there for doing AH counting on a 72 volt battery bank
> (AGM)?  The e-meter and Link-10 that used to do this seem to be
> discontinued, and the LinkPro does not work with the prescaler for banks
> over 24 volts, according to their documentation, at least.  I know that the
> e-vision can do this (and that's what I'm using on my 96 volt NiCad bank on
> my EV), but it's overkill (and too expensive) for what I want for this
> other project -- but I also want something more than the voltage based
> meters for golf carts that I'm finding.  Any ideas?

Actually, I have a brand new / never used  Link 10.  I can also gather
together all the parts and schematic to make a very slick interface
(isolated power supply, pre-scaler etc.) designed by Lee Hart.  It never
made it into my LeSled.  I couldn't find a good mounting place for it, and
my unusually high range per charge made it less necessary.  I have no idea
what to charge for it, but if there's an interest I can look into it.

Chris
LeSled is for sale!
http://www.evalbum.com/274

Re: Link-10/e-meter replacement?

Tom Keenan

Tom Keenan

On Nov 21, 2012, at 4:15 PM, Zeke Yewdall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What options are there for doing AH counting on a 72 volt battery bank
> (AGM)?  The e-meter and Link-10 that used to do this seem to be
> discontinued, and the LinkPro does not work with the prescaler for banks
> over 24 volts, according to their documentation, at least.  I know that the
> e-vision can do this (and that's what I'm using on my 96 volt NiCad bank on
> my EV), but it's overkill (and too expensive) for what I want for this
> other project -- but I also want something more than the voltage based
> meters for golf carts that I'm finding.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Zeke

Re: Link-10/e-meter replacement?

Tom Keenan
Depending on how much data/resolution you need, I'm using a stock fuel gauge and a ZEVA adapter. Gives a basic empty to full indication based on the amount of power used over time. It appears to count the amount of power coming out of the pack, and adds in resistance little by little as more power is used, making the fuel needle drop towards empty. As the pack if charged, it does the opposite. I've been using this system for a couple of months and am happy with the results. It won't give you hard data, but is good as a relative measure of remaining capacity.

Tom Keenan

On Nov 21, 2012, at 4:15 PM, Zeke Yewdall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What options are there for doing AH counting on a 72 volt battery bank
> (AGM)?  The e-meter and Link-10 that used to do this seem to be
> discontinued, and the LinkPro does not work with the prescaler for banks
> over 24 volts, according to their documentation, at least.  I know that the
> e-vision can do this (and that's what I'm using on my 96 volt NiCad bank on
> my EV), but it's overkill (and too expensive) for what I want for this
> other project -- but I also want something more than the voltage based
> meters for golf carts that I'm finding.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Zeke

Link-10/e-meter replacement?

John Lussmyer
On Wed Nov 21 16:15:24 PST 2012 [hidden email] said:
>What options are there for doing AH counting on a 72 volt battery bank
>(AGM)?  The e-meter and Link-10 that used to do this seem to be
>discontinued, and the LinkPro does not work with the prescaler for banks

I've been tempted to try one of these:
http://www.lightobject.com/Programmable-Digital-AH-meter-Ideal-for-battery-monitoring-P278.aspx
Likely to be cheap chinese construction, but not very expensive.
Just haven't had time to order one and try it.

--

Try my Sensible Email package!  https://sourceforge.net/projects/sensibleemail/

Re: Link-10/e-meter replacement?

Rush Dougherty
Zeke,

I have an extra e-meter that I would like to sell, it is actually new, never
been  used. I think there is also a prescaler with it. I'm not sure since it
is packed up. If you are interested I'll get it out and send  you some pics.

Reply to me at my TucsonEV address.

Rush
www.TucsonEV.com

Randy
We have been using the Link Pro (TBS) for over four years on all our
conversions as well as selling them with all our kits.
It's the same basic readings as the old Link and E-Meters but nicer
interface and has more options for outputs like alarms.
Awesome unit. We used to build the pre scalers but now they offer them
up to 350 volts so we use theirs.

BFN
Randy

On 21/11/2012 8:08 PM, Tom Keenan wrote:

> Tom Keenan
>

> On Nov 21, 2012, at 4:15 PM, Zeke Yewdall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> What options are there for doing AH counting on a 72 volt battery bank
>> (AGM)?  The e-meter and Link-10 that used to do this seem to be
>> discontinued, and the LinkPro does not work with the prescaler for banks
>> over 24 volts, according to their documentation, at least.  I know that the
>> e-vision can do this (and that's what I'm using on my 96 volt NiCad bank on
>> my EV), but it's overkill (and too expensive) for what I want for this
>> other project -- but I also want something more than the voltage based
>> meters for golf carts that I'm finding.  Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Zeke
>> -------------- next part --------------
>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

Re: Link-10/e-meter replacement?

rodhower
http://www.battsix.com/

Re: Link-10/e-meter replacement?

fred ungewitter
I've been a big fan of the Cycle Analyst since I discovered it many years ago. It's rather simplistic, and has no Peukert compensation or other chemistry-specific adjustments. When I was using it on the long-gone Xebra and still-in-use Gizmo, I had to recognize that I had a safe 25 percent of sticker ampere-hours (lead-acid Xebra) and 80 percent for the Gizmo with LiFePO4.

It has a magnet and reed switch for measuring distance and speed, which gives you real time watt-hours per mile, ampere-hours used and a host of other data points.

I believe the models sold range in capacity from 12v up to about 200v. For EV applications, get the high-current external shunt model and you're good to go.

http://ebikes.ca/drainbrain.shtml

________________________________

------------------------------

Original Message: 2
From: Zeke Yewdall <[hidden email]>

What options are there for doing AH counting on a 72 volt battery bank
(AGM)?  The e-meter and Link-10 that used to do this seem to be
discontinued, and the LinkPro does not work with the prescaler for banks
over 24 volts, according to their documentation, at least.  I know that the
e-vision can do this (and that's what I'm using on my 96 volt NiCad bank on
my EV), but it's overkill (and too expensive) for what I want for this
other project -- but I also want something more than the voltage based
meters for golf carts that I'm finding.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Zeke
End of Original Message: 2
------------------------------

Re: Link-10/e-meter replacement?

J Bills
belktronix sells a well priced prescaler - I want to say it's $25?
http://belktronix.com/LinkProAdapter.html

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 12:55 PM, fred <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been a big fan of the Cycle Analyst since I discovered it many years
> ago. It's rather simplistic, and has no Peukert compensation or other
> chemistry-specific adjustments. When I was using it on the long-gone Xebra
> and still-in-use Gizmo, I had to recognize that I had a safe 25 percent of
> sticker ampere-hours (lead-acid Xebra) and 80 percent for the Gizmo with
> LiFePO4.
>
> It has a magnet and reed switch for measuring distance and speed, which
> gives you real time watt-hours per mile, ampere-hours used and a host of
> other data points.
>
> I believe the models sold range in capacity from 12v up to about 200v. For
> EV applications, get the high-current external shunt model and you're good
> to go.
>

> http://ebikes.ca/drainbrain.shtml
>

> ________________________________
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Original Message: 2
> From: Zeke Yewdall <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [EVDL] Link-10/e-meter replacement?
>
> What options are there for doing AH counting on a 72 volt battery bank
> (AGM)?  The e-meter and Link-10 that used to do this seem to be
> discontinued, and the LinkPro does not work with the prescaler for banks
> over 24 volts, according to their documentation, at least.  I know that the
> e-vision can do this (and that's what I'm using on my 96 volt NiCad bank on
> my EV), but it's overkill (and too expensive) for what I want for this
> other project -- but I also want something more than the voltage based
> meters for golf carts that I'm finding.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Zeke
> End of Original Message: 2
> ------------------------------

Re: Link-10/e-meter replacement?

Lee Hart
J Bills wrote:
> belktronix sells a well priced prescaler - I want to say it's $25?

If you already have an E-Meter or Link-10, I still have my Companion
board. It has the DC/DC, prescaler, and isolated serial port, all for
$75. You can buy a kit for $50, just the bare board for $10, and the
circuit is there if you want to build your own from scratch, too.
Details at http://www.sunrise-ev.com/

--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget the perfect offering