Lithium for the Price of Lead - Sort of

Danpatgal
This post was updated on .
I saw that EVTV is selling the old Better Place packs, shipped from Israel and now sitting in Missouri, for $3600 for a 24kwh pack.  It's built by the same manufacturer and uses the same chemistry as the Nissan Leaf packs.  It comes with worthless infrastructure because it was meant to be swapped, but, for these high density cells (a bit lighter than a CALB cell), this could be very interesting.  Check out this link:

http://store.evtv.me/proddetail.php?prod=Betterplace&cat=23

Re: Lithium for the Price of Lead - Sort of

Ben Apollonio
Aww man!  If I had any use for an EV battery at the moment, I'd be all over that.  But my 17kWh of ThunderSkys (at 2x the price) are holding up quite well...

-Ben

On Mar 4, 2014, at 5:11 PM, Danpatgal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All saw that EVTV is selling the old Better Place packs, shipped from Israel
> and now sitting in Missouri, for $3600 for a 24kwh pack.  It's built by the
> same manufacturer and uses the same chemistry as the Nissan Leaf packs.  It
> comes with worthless infrastructure because it was meant to be swapped, but,
> for these high density cells (a bit lighter than a CALB cell), this could be
> very interesting.  Check out this link:
>
> http://store.evtv.me/proddetail.php?prod=Betterplace&cat=23
>

> -----
> Dan Gallagher
> http://www.evalbum.com/3854

Re: Lithium for the Price of Lead - Sort of

David Chapman-9
If not for lack of funds I would love to have 2 of these for my G-van... Would make a triple string plus spares. If anyone does purchase one or more of these I have a good transporter that I can recommend, also have been having pretty good results on U-ship lately.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" - Theodore Roosevelt

“We reached the old wolf in time to watch a fierce green fire dying in her eyes ....
I was young then, and full of trigger-itch; I thought that because fewer wolves meant more
deer, that no wolves would mean hunters’ paradise. But after seeing the green
fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view.” - Aldo Leopold

On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:28 PM, Ben Apollonio <[hidden email]> wrote:

Aww man!  If I had any use for an EV battery at the moment, I'd be all over that.  But my 17kWh of ThunderSkys (at 2x the price) are holding up quite well...

-Ben

On Mar 4, 2014, at 5:11 PM, Danpatgal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All saw that EVTV is selling the old Better Place packs, shipped from Israel
> and now sitting in Missouri, for $3600 for a 24kwh pack.  It's built by the
> same manufacturer and uses the same chemistry as the Nissan Leaf packs.  It
> comes with worthless infrastructure because it was meant to be swapped, but,
> for these high density cells (a bit lighter than a CALB cell), this could be
> very interesting.  Check out this link:
>
> http://store.evtv.me/proddetail.php?prod=Betterplace&cat=23
>

> -----
> Dan Gallagher
> http://www.evalbum.com/3854

Re: Lithium for the Price of Lead - Sort of

Lee Hart
David Chapman wrote:
> If not for lack of funds I would love to have 2 of these for my G-van.

Same here: I'd love to have a lithium pack for my EV! The big question
in my mind is whether they are any good. They are being sold as-is,
without warranty. I've been burned before on such battery "deals".

I'll have to wait for someone else to go first, and tell us what they
actually get.

--
Ingenuity gets you through times of no money better than money
will get you through times of no ingenuity. -- Terry Pratchett

Re: Lithium for the Price of Lead - Sort of

Haudy Kazemi
On 03/05/2014 01:08 AM, Lee Hart wrote:

> David Chapman wrote:
>> If not for lack of funds I would love to have 2 of these for my G-van.
>
> Same here: I'd love to have a lithium pack for my EV! The big question
> in my mind is whether they are any good. They are being sold as-is,
> without warranty. I've been burned before on such battery "deals".
>
> I'll have to wait for someone else to go first, and tell us what they
> actually get.

A few notes:

1.) these are reported to be the same cells as found in the Leaf. This
might make them convenient as a way to create a "48 kWh" Leaf, if one
can find space for them. (Or useful as parts for rebuilding Leaf packs.)

2.) the cells in the 2011-2013 Leaf are demonstrating themselves as not
being highly heat tolerant, and thus are losing capacity faster than
projected in hot climates

3.) it looks like these cells were part of the Better Place bankruptcy
liquidation in Israel. Were these cells sitting in Tel Aviv for a while?
If so, one might expect there to be some heat and time related degradation.

Wikipedia climate info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tel_Aviv#Climate

Climate data for Tel Aviv (1916--2007)
Month Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Year
Record high °C (°F) 26.8
(80.2) 29.6
(85.3) 35.2
(95.4) 40.4
(104.7) 46.5
(115.7) 37.6
(99.7) 37.4
(99.3) 34.4
(93.9) 35.4
(95.7) 38.4
(101.1) 35.3
(95.5) 27.9
(82.2) 46.5
(115.7)
Average high °C (°F) 17.5
(63.5) 17.7
(63.9) 19.2
(66.6) 22.8
(73) 24.9
(76.8) 27.5
(81.5) 29.4
(84.9) 30.2
(86.4) 29.4
(84.9) 27.3
(81.1) 23.4
(74.1) 19.2
(66.6) 24.04
(75.27)
Daily mean °C (°F) 13
(55) 13.8
(56.8) 15.4
(59.7) 18.6
(65.5) 21.1
(70) 24.1
(75.4) 26.2
(79.2) 27
(81) 26
(79) 23.2
(73.8) 19
(66) 15.2
(59.4) 20.3
(68.5)
Average low °C (°F) 9.6
(49.3) 9.8
(49.6) 11.5
(52.7) 14.4
(57.9) 17.3
(63.1) 20.6
(69.1) 23
(73) 23.7
(74.7) 22.5
(72.5) 19.1
(66.4) 14.6
(58.3) 11.2
(52.2) 16.44
(61.59)

vs Los Angelos:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angelos#Climate

Climate data for Los Angeles (Downtown
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown_Los_Angeles>), 1981--2010 normals
Month Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Year
Record high °F (°C) 91
(33) 95
(35) 98
(37) 106
(41) 101
(38) 112
(44) 107
(42) 105
(41) 113
(45) 108
(42) 99
(37) 88
(31) 113
(45)
Average high °F (°C) 68.2
(20.1) 68.6
(20.3) 70.2
(21.2) 72.7
(22.6) 74.5
(23.6) 78.1
(25.6) 83.1
(28.4) 84.4
(29.1) 83.1
(28.4) 78.5
(25.8) 72.8
(22.7) 67.7
(19.8) 75.2
(24)
Daily mean °F (°C) 58.0
(14.4) 58.9
(14.9) 60.6
(15.9) 63.1
(17.3) 65.8
(18.8) 69.2
(20.7) 73.3
(22.9) 74.3
(23.5) 73.1
(22.8) 68.6
(20.3) 62.4
(16.9) 57.6
(14.2) 65.4
(18.6)
Average low °F (°C) 47.8
(8.8) 49.3
(9.6) 51.0
(10.6) 53.5
(11.9) 57.1
(13.9) 60.3
(15.7) 63.6
(17.6) 64.1
(17.8) 63.1
(17.3) 58.7
(14.8) 52.0
(11.1) 47.5
(8.6) 55.7
(13.2)

Re: Lithium for the Price of Lead - Sort of

Michael Ross
Lee,

I watched the most recent EVTV installment and they unpack the first packs
at their shop.  The batteries were only imperceptibly less than their
nominal 4.0V at full charge.  I think you could wrangle some sort of
confidence out of EVTV that they are good packs. They have to provide some
sort of assurances even at the low price they are asking.  I think so
anyway.

When you buy the pack you get some other not inconsequential pieces like a
big assed safety switch and some large contactors.

Watch the video, long as it is.  See what you think.

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 2:08 AM, Lee Hart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> David Chapman wrote:
>
>> If not for lack of funds I would love to have 2 of these for my G-van.
>>

> Same here: I'd love to have a lithium pack for my EV! The big question in
> my mind is whether they are any good. They are being sold as-is, without
> warranty. I've been burned before on such battery "deals".
>
> I'll have to wait for someone else to go first, and tell us what they
> actually get.
>
> --
> Ingenuity gets you through times of no money better than money
> will get you through times of no ingenuity. -- Terry Pratchett
> --
> Lee Hart's EV projects are at http://www.sunrise-ev.com
> group/NEDRA)

*Dalai Lama *

Tell me what it is you plan to do
With your one wild and precious life?
Mary Oliver, "The summer day."

Thomas A. Edison<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasaed125362.html>

*Warren Buffet*

Michael E. Ross
(919) 550-2430 Land
(919) 631-1451 Cell
(919) 513-0418 Desk

[hidden email]
<[hidden email]>

Re: Lithium for the Price of Lead - Sort of

Cor van de Water
Michael,
I think you are confusing self-discharge with the concern about loss of
capacity.
Self-discharge means that a cell is losing part of its stored energy
(which shows in lower voltage) but this can be replenished by charging
it again.
Voltage has *nothing* to do with loss of capacity,
which is what all Leafs are suffering from, but those in hot areas
more so than others.
Loss of capacity means that the cell is no longer able to store as much
energy, so even while you fully charge a cell, it can deliver less
energy because "the bucket has shrunken".
Capacity can only be measured by (dis)charging cells and measuring Ah.

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Email: [hidden email] Private: http://www.cvandewater.info
Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626

I watched the most recent EVTV installment and they unpack the first
packs
at their shop.  The batteries were only imperceptibly less than their
nominal 4.0V at full charge.  I think you could wrangle some sort of
confidence out of EVTV that they are good packs. They have to provide
some
sort of assurances even at the low price they are asking.  I think so
anyway.

When you buy the pack you get some other not inconsequential pieces like
big assed safety switch and some large contactors.

Watch the video, long as it is.  See what you think.

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 2:08 AM, Lee Hart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> David Chapman wrote:
>
>> If not for lack of funds I would love to have 2 of these for my
G-van.

> Same here: I'd love to have a lithium pack for my EV! The big question
in
> my mind is whether they are any good. They are being sold as-is,
without

> warranty. I've been burned before on such battery "deals".
>
> I'll have to wait for someone else to go first, and tell us what they
> actually get.
>
> --
> Ingenuity gets you through times of no money better than money
> will get you through times of no ingenuity. -- Terry Pratchett
> --
> Lee Hart's EV projects are at http://www.sunrise-ev.com
> group/NEDRA)

*Dalai Lama *

Tell me what it is you plan to do
With your one wild and precious life?
Mary Oliver, "The summer day."

Thomas A.
Edison<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasaed125362.html>

*Warren Buffet*

Michael E. Ross
(919) 550-2430 Land
(919) 576-0824 <https://www.google.com/voice/b/0?pli=1#phones> Google
Phone
(919) 631-1451 Cell
(919) 513-0418 Desk

[hidden email]
<[hidden email]>

Re: Lithium for the Price of Lead - Sort of

Cruisin
This post was updated on .
You may want to consider these Volt battery packs brand new for a little more than half the price. I disassembled the new pack and made 4- 3p x 24s 96vdc 45ah each. packs that can be broken down into 8 - 3p x 12s 48vdc 45ah packs. Original 380vdc 45ah 16.5kw packs of very high quality LiCo-02 LG cells. Also available in other voltage configurations. approx. 400lbs for all 4 packs. Internal chambers to cells for heating and cooling if necessary. Currently installed in boats, cars, solar off grid systems, etc.
Volt battery

Re: Lithium for the Price of Lead - Sort of

Michael Ross
No, I am not confusing anything. And I said nothing at all about the
capacity of the packs.

 The cell they looked at was in good enough shape to have no self
discharge, which is a pet topic of Rickard's.  You can watch the video or
call Jack if you want to know about the capacity.

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 4:08 AM, Cor van de Water <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Michael,
> I think you are confusing self-discharge with the concern about loss of
> capacity.
> Self-discharge means that a cell is losing part of its stored energy
> (which shows in lower voltage) but this can be replenished by charging
> it again.
> Voltage has *nothing* to do with loss of capacity,
> which is what all Leafs are suffering from, but those in hot areas
> more so than others.
> Loss of capacity means that the cell is no longer able to store as much
> energy, so even while you fully charge a cell, it can deliver less
> energy because "the bucket has shrunken".
> Capacity can only be measured by (dis)charging cells and measuring Ah.
>
> Cor van de Water
> Chief Scientist
> Email: [hidden email] Private: http://www.cvandewater.info
> Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626

Lev Lvovsky
Doing some digging, is this what you’re talking about:

http://www.gmpartsonline.net/parts/2012/Chevrolet/Volt/Base?siteid=215055&vehicleid=407591&diagram=ZB7080&diagramCallOut=1

Are these actually sold to the public?

thanks,
-lev

On Mar 5, 2014, at 7:18 AM, Cruisin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You may want to consider these Volt battery packs brand new for a little more
> than half the price. I disassembled the new pack and made 4- 3p x 24s 96vdc
> 45ah each. packs that can be broken down into 8 - 3p x 12s 48vdc 45ah packs.
> Original 380vdc 45ah 16kw packs of very high quality LiCo-02 LG cells. Also
> available in other voltage configurations. approx. 400lbs for all 4 packs.
> Internal chambers to cells for heating and cooling if necessary. Currently
> installed in boats, cars, solar off grid systems, etc.
> <http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/file/n4668238/Volt_Battery_Picture.jpg>
> <http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/file/n4668238/DSCF0001_%287%29.jpg>

Re: Lithium for the Price of Lead - Sort of

David Rees
On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 7:18 AM, Cruisin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You may want to consider these Volt battery packs brand new for a little more
> than half the price.

Where are you getting the new Volt packs for a little more than half
the price? I suspect that means a bit more than $2,000 for 16 kWh?

-Dave

Re: Lithium for the Price of Lead - Sort of

Cruisin
This post was updated on .
I have a long standing account with GM and buy them for about $3k to my door brand new 2013 16.5kw. I break them down to 48vdc, 96vdc, 144vdc and 192vdc and make them available to my conversion customers. Very high quality LG cells capable of 10c, better than the Leaf. Using my AC-46 with a Curtis controller and 4 of the 96vdc packs in parallel, at $1000 for each pack, with 180ah total 16.5kw, I can supply a very low cost system with very good torque and reasonable range of around 75 miles+. obviously, the weight of the car and other factors play a big roll in the range. I should add that these 2013 Volt batteries are brand new and NOT PULLS like the ones from EVTV that may have bad cells.

Re: Lithium for the Price of Lead - Sort of

rodhower
I bought a 2000 Citrus Insight that had the IMA light on (integrated motor assist).
My intention was to convert it to electric, but I fixed the IMA light problem (the car sat
for awhile and the battery pack self discharged, I pulled the pack and did an equalization charge
and it has worked quite well for the last 7,000 miles.  I found out later the pack was replaced just 2
years ago, so it should be good to go for awhile).  I would still like to convert one of my two insights
to all electric, I also have a 2004, but just got a new battery pack under warranty in September 2013.
A 16.5kWhr pack would do just fine for my 44 mile round trip to work since the car only weighs 1850 lbs.
Both cars run great, the 2004 has 98,000 miles and the 2000 Citrus has 163,000.  I'm not quite ready to
hack either car yet, but my next conversion will definitely be one of the two cars.
My Insights,
https://plus.google.com/photos/102124681118672255625/albums/5922756131590504417?banner=pwa

________________________________

Re: Lithium for the Price of Lead - Sort of

tomw
...Using my AC-46 with a Curtis controller...

Did you rename the "AC45" as "AC46"?
Post from Brian of HPEVS on the diyelectriccar site:

"You can find pictures of the motor and the dyno curves on our web site www.hpevs.com. Here you will find the original torque speed curve of the AC31 and the AC35 curve that was used in the eBay listing. Note: The motor picture may not be exactly what you bought since we had two different versions of the motor. One of them had the motor leads coming out through a slot near the drive end on the motor, the other had the leads coming out the other end. Still electrically the same motor. The AC35 however is a completely different motor inside.

We designed this motor for a low speed truck and a NEV car that Miles built from 2008 to 2009. It is built for low end torque and fairly low RPM since the vehicles had a max speed of 25 MPH and the motor ran between 3900 and 4500 RPM, depending on if it were in a truck or a car.

Let me be clear, this is a good motor when used in it's original or similar application. It has been used in some light weight on road vehicles with okay performance. My only issue with Cruisin is he has misrepresented the motor and has it listed as 82 HP and 130 lb ft of torque, when it clearly is not. You could run it on 144 volts to increase the horsepower, but it would still not be 82 HP. The best you could hope for is mid to low 70 HP range and 115 to 120 lb ft of torque on 144 volts.

When we called out cruisin on the the misleading rating and posted it on our web site, he changed his listing to read AC45 and pasted AC45 on our AC35 graph. Still doesn't change the fact that it is an AC31 motor that we built in 2008. Even if you look at the graph he has posted, it is not even close to the rating he is giving it in the eBay listing.

I think in the listing he is comparing it to the Azure AC24 motor, not saying it is.

Hope this clears it up for you.

Brian
__________________
Brian Seymour
HPEVS"

Re: Lithium for the Price of Lead - Sort of

Cruisin
Have you ever seen one, or just running off of the mouth like Brian does. Brian has never seen one either. Too bad uneducated people want to tell others about something they know nothing about except what they have read from scammers and or the fraudulent forums and web sites. Educate yourself before telling people things about something you know nothing about.

Re: Lithium for the Price of Lead - Sort of

drdhdmd
Website says sold out...

Thank you,
David Delman
eLectricDeLorean.com

Re: Lithium for the Price of Lead - Sort of

Mark Fr
Hi Cruising,

I am interested in a 48 volt battery for an electric sailboat. The 200 ah of AGM's I have I the boat now are 6 years old and I would like to move up to lithium. You can contact me directly if you would like.

Thanks, Mark