Low budget coupler for weenie-mobile

MPaulHolmes
This summer, I'm planning on converting a manual transmission Geo Metro to a clutchless 48v with a 300amp controller.  The motor will be a 6.7" 62 pound series DC (if I win it on Ebay.  Please don't outbid me S:^)).  I'm hoping for a top speed of 35 mph with weak acceleration (well, not hoping for horrible acceleration.  It's just a fact).  I've been reading some of the old posts about motor couplers, which seemed geared toward Warp 9" or some other beast.  So, given the wimpy torque and low budget, can I get away with something like this?:

1. Order a keyed love/joy connector for the motor shaft.
2. Weld the center of the clutch plate to the love/joy connector.  (Chop away the outside, leaving only the center part of the clutch plate, which has the teeth that match the transmission post)
(Is the flywheel better for this?)

Would arc-welding be acceptable in this case?

So the clutch plate will be the means of coupling the transmission, the love/joy connector the means of coupling the motor.

For spacers, I don't know, maybe blocks of aluminum (drilled through for bolting purposes).

Thanks for any input.  I'm sure I'll have more clear questions once the car is all apart in the garage.  It's just fun to plan!  I am having a hard time waiting!!

Re: Low budget coupler for weenie-mobile

joe-22
Bore out the inside of one side of a lovejoy or chaindrive coupling, turn
down the outside of the clutch spline, insert the spline into the coupler
and weld it in. Makes a very good poor-man's coupler for up to 144V daily
drivers. You only need the taper-lock bushings style for high performance
vehicles and racers.

Joseph H. Strubhar

Web: www.gremcoinc.com

E-mail: [hidden email]
> This summer, I'm planning on converting a manual transmission Geo Metro to
> clutchless 48v with a 300amp controller.  The motor will be a 6.7" 62
> pound
> series DC (if I win it on Ebay.  Please don't outbid me S:^)).  I'm hoping
> for a top speed of 35 mph with weak acceleration (well, not hoping for
> horrible acceleration.  It's just a fact).  I've been reading some of the
> old posts about motor couplers, which seemed geared toward Warp 9" or some
> other beast.  So, given the wimpy torque and low budget, can I get away
> with
> something like this?:
>
> 1. Order a keyed love/joy connector for the motor shaft.
> 2. Weld the center of the clutch plate to the love/joy connector.  (Chop
> away the outside, leaving only the center part of the clutch plate, which
> has the teeth that match the transmission post)
> (Is the flywheel better for this?)
>
> Would arc-welding be acceptable in this case?
>
> So the clutch plate will be the means of coupling the transmission, the
> love/joy connector the means of coupling the motor.
>
> For spacers, I don't know, maybe blocks of aluminum (drilled through for
> bolting purposes).
>
> Thanks for any input.  I'm sure I'll have more clear questions once the
> car
> is all apart in the garage.  It's just fun to plan!  I am having a hard
> time
> waiting!!
> 5:24 PM

Re: Low budget coupler for weenie-mobile

Steven **
While I haven't got all the details, it sounds like the Forkenswift
uses something similar with a "modified lovejoy coupler".  I don't
know in what way it was modified though.

-Steven

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 12:44 AM, paul holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This summer, I'm planning on converting a manual transmission Geo Metro to a
> clutchless 48v with a 300amp controller.  The motor will be a 6.7" 62 pound
> series DC (if I win it on Ebay.  Please don't outbid me S:^)).  I'm hoping
> for a top speed of 35 mph with weak acceleration (well, not hoping for
> horrible acceleration.  It's just a fact).  I've been reading some of the
> old posts about motor couplers, which seemed geared toward Warp 9" or some
> other beast.  So, given the wimpy torque and low budget, can I get away with
> something like this?:
>
> 1. Order a keyed love/joy connector for the motor shaft.
> 2. Weld the center of the clutch plate to the love/joy connector.  (Chop
> away the outside, leaving only the center part of the clutch plate, which
> has the teeth that match the transmission post)
> (Is the flywheel better for this?)
>
> Would arc-welding be acceptable in this case?
>
> So the clutch plate will be the means of coupling the transmission, the
> love/joy connector the means of coupling the motor.
>
> For spacers, I don't know, maybe blocks of aluminum (drilled through for
> bolting purposes).
>
> Thanks for any input.  I'm sure I'll have more clear questions once the car
> is all apart in the garage.  It's just fun to plan!  I am having a hard time
> waiting!!

Re: Low budget coupler for weenie-mobile

Darin -@- ForkenSwift.com
This is how the ForkenSwift coupler was done.  It'll work.  Our machinist bored out the lovejoy and welded in the clutch hub.  Also added a set screw.

http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=promach-lovejoy.jpg

Our setup is complicated by the fact that our drive motor (hydraulic pump motor) has a female splined shaft, so the machinist welded the corresponding "stub shaft" (from the pump) into the other half of the lovejoy:

http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=promach-lovejoy-on-input.jpg
http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=promach-lovejoy-armature.jpg
http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=promach-lovejoy-input-compa.jpg

Just take care to chose the right type of material for the "spider" between the two halves of the lovejoy.  I've heard that rubber is too soft and will wear out/fall apart.

Darin

http://forkenswift.com
http://www.evalbum.com/1146

ForkenSwift Lovejoy

Chad Gray-2
In the picts I noticed the clutch throw out bearing is still there.  Any reason to leave it or are these picts not the final setup?

Re: ForkenSwift Lovejoy

Darin -@- ForkenSwift.com

Chad Gray-2 wrote
In the picts I noticed the clutch throw out bearing is still there.  Any reason to leave it or are these picts not the final setup?
The throwout bearing is gone from the final installation.

- Darin

Re: Low budget coupler for weenie-mobile

Zeke Yewdall
Interesting.  That's almost exactly what I was thinking of for coupling my
motor to my transmission, on my forkenswift inspired subaru (since my
aircraft generator came with the giant support bearing for the shaft end, I
don't have to support the shaft, just couple it.

My old tractor has something similar to a lovejoy concept between the front
of the crankshaft and the hydraulic pump -- it's a thin steel plate with two
bolts at 12 oclock and 6 o clock going to the driveshaft for the hydraulic
pump, and two other bolts at 3 o clock and 9 o clock going to the driveshaft
coming out of the crankshaft.  Little hard rubber bushings on the bolts.
Not transmitting much horsepower or rpm with that setup though...  2100rpm
max, and more like 1200 most of the time, and the engine is only rated for
31hp, so....

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 9:01 AM, Darin at- forkenswift.com <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is how the ForkenSwift coupler was done.  It'll work.  Our machinist
> bored out the lovejoy and welded in the clutch hub.  Also added a set
> screw.
>
> http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=promach-lovejoy.jpg
>
> Our setup is complicated by the fact that our drive motor (hydraulic pump
> motor) has a female splined shaft, so the machinist welded the
> corresponding
> "stub shaft" (from the pump) into the other half of the lovejoy:
>

> http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=promach-lovejoy-on-input.jpg
>
> http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=promach-lovejoy-armature.jpg
>
> http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=promach-lovejoy-input-compa.jpg
>
> Just take care to chose the right type of material for the "spider" between
> the two halves of the lovejoy.  I've heard that rubber is too soft and will
> wear out/fall apart.
>
> Darin
>
> http://forkenswift.com
> http://www.evalbum.com/1146

Re: Low budget coupler for weenie-mobile

Randy Eckert
look at the other post someone has pic's of just such a set up, yesterday or
todays

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 12:44 AM, paul holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This summer, I'm planning on converting a manual transmission Geo Metro to
> clutchless 48v with a 300amp controller.  The motor will be a 6.7" 62 pound
> series DC (if I win it on Ebay.  Please don't outbid me S:^)).  I'm hoping
> for a top speed of 35 mph with weak acceleration (well, not hoping for
> horrible acceleration.  It's just a fact).  I've been reading some of the
> old posts about motor couplers, which seemed geared toward Warp 9" or some
> other beast.  So, given the wimpy torque and low budget, can I get away
> with
> something like this?:
>
> 1. Order a keyed love/joy connector for the motor shaft.
> 2. Weld the center of the clutch plate to the love/joy connector.  (Chop
> away the outside, leaving only the center part of the clutch plate, which
> has the teeth that match the transmission post)
> (Is the flywheel better for this?)
>
> Would arc-welding be acceptable in this case?
>
> So the clutch plate will be the means of coupling the transmission, the
> love/joy connector the means of coupling the motor.
>
> For spacers, I don't know, maybe blocks of aluminum (drilled through for
> bolting purposes).
>
> Thanks for any input.  I'm sure I'll have more clear questions once the car
> is all apart in the garage.  It's just fun to plan!  I am having a hard
> time
> waiting!!

Re: Low budget coupler for weenie-mobile

storm connors
My low budget conversion has a splined coupler connecting the motor
shaft to what appears to be the back end of the crankshaft with the
journal turned down and splined to fit the coupler. Doing it this way
also left the clutch stock. The clutch vs clutchless discussions need
not be repeated. :-) Having it and not needing it beats not having it.
My vehicle won't shift without it.

I'm guessing that the crankshaft was used to make the coupler since
the back of the engine was used to make the adapter.

--
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1059
http://stormselectric.blogspot.com/