Low cost EV's, ]was D&D ES-31B 72-144

jerryd

          Hi Pete and All,

             Reading your recent posts I see you are not
adverse to used equipment so I'd go find a surplus, used
forklift, other series motor of 125+ amps or 2 smaller ones.
These can be found for a couple hundred each or even less
depending on how good a story you can spin. Or call Jim
Husted for what he has hanging around, EV for sale list,
surplus sites, ect.
             Also why 144vdc battery pack? That leads to
much higher costs and not needed, 72-120vdc should do fine
depending on what you want, need to do with it.
              Just what performance, range, speed you want?
What does the 510weigh?.
              I'd leave out the clutch, just coupling the
motor shaft to the trans input shaft. You could mount the
motor to 2 3" alum angles, center the shaft, drill mounting
to bell housing and you are hooked up for under $100 using a
drill and a saw with a carbide blade!!  You won't be able to
shift fast but on EV's you rarely need to shift except maybe
steep hill starting and freeway speeds.
              As for controllers, a contactor controller,
CC, can give you great power at low costs, under $100 for
72vdc with 5 speeds with surplus or homemade contactors.
             For 72vdc you can convert older Ferro style
36vdc GC battery chargers to 72vdc using dead chargers to
convert. 2 could charge a 144vdc pack.
              If a 55 mph EV can do you, it's hard to beat
converting a VW Bug for low costs.
                        KIS,
                                   Jerry Dycus